Computer Related > Noisy hard drive - fault or not? Also consumer.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 4

Noisy hard drive - fault or not? Also consumer.... - RattleandSmoke
I buy a lot of laptop drives but very rarely replace desktop drives. However I have replaced the one in my personal system with a Western Digital Carvier Blue. Everything seems to be ok but the ticking is very loud.

Has anybody had this experience with modern Western Digital drives or is it time to RMA it? The problem is I have no consumer rights because I bought it with my business account, so RMA means I could be without the drive for weeks and I would incure the cost of shipping etc.

What rights do I have as a business purchaser? Now I know the consumer protection act dosn't apply here but surely some law must?

Also I wonder if the ticking is normal for that specific make and model? It sounds like an early 90's hard drive.
I just phoned up my supplier, they agreed it shouldn't be ticking and said they will swap it.

Too late to drive down there now but will take back tomorrow. Hopefully it will be an easy swap. Main issue is having to install the entire thing again.
 Noisy hard drive - fault or not? Also consumer.... - spamcan61
>>
>> What rights do I have as a business purchaser? Now I know the consumer protection
>> act dosn't apply here but surely some law must?
>>
I think you mean Sales of Goods Act guv, the Consumer Protection Act is about product safety & EMC.
 Noisy hard drive - fault or not? Also consumer.... - Stuartli
Used WD Caviar hard drives for years - never had a failure (merely upgraded to larger capacity after a couple of years or so) and never heard one ticking (I would have probably have suspected it was due to fail).

WD's warranty terms have changed. I used to buy drives with the model number ending in JB which indicated an OEM version with a very lengthy warranty.
I've never had a hard drive failure either, but I've had ones develop bad sectors but replace them when thathappens.

I also buy a lot of Western Digital drives, never had a problem either.

Most the ones I replace in laptops are Seagate, Fujitsu and Maxtor.
Latest Forum Posts