Computer Related > Why? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 11

Why? - devonite
Do well known computer assemblers use a motherboard that has multiple sata ports, a case that has spare bays, and then use a power supply that has 4 ide connectors and 1 sata connection which is already in use? Why? Grrrr! (just my frustration vent blowing!)
 Why? - RattleandSmoke
What make is the PC? Only cheap of the shelf PCs like the cheapo HPs and cheap power supplies only have one SATA.

You can buy cables which convert Molex to SATA though.

Why? - Zero
Because they all use the same motherboard makers, who all use the same chipsets, those chipsets providing all the same number of ports.

The cases are all the same - cost reasons,

You dont have 4 "ide" connectors, you have 4 "molex" connectors you can buy molex > sata power converters.

Problem solved.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 27 May 11 at 20:12
 Why? - devonite
yes! - just the frustration of having to traipse into town to get one, turning a 10 min job into an hour!
 Why? - Zero
Ok, where on your PC did it say "Upgradeable"? Huh? show me!

Did you check before you bought it? If you want bespoke PCs. bespake them yursen.
 Why? - RattleandSmoke
I agree, I find the PCs you get from the big stores cannot be upgraded that easily. I also hate the fact the BIOS setups tend to be far too simple.

Nothing like a good proper motherboard such as an Asus.

That said I bought a ready built PC back in 2007 as it was on sale for just £180 as it had XP and not Vista. Brand new, it was far cheaper than I could build it for. Since then its had new RAM, four new hard drives, two new graphics card, a new case, a new windows licence (vista), a new processor, new PSU etc etc. The only original part is the crappy Acer motherboard.

Still my antique X2 4200 is still so fast I can't see any need to upgrade, apart from the fact the board only supports 2GB of RAM.
 Why? - devonite
>>Ok, where on your PC did it say "Upgradeable"<<

I dont think it says that on many pc`s these days, but folk do, ;-)

It just seems certain assemblers like to keep thier "things" tight so that only they can/will repair/upgrade them once you send them back.
Soon all `puters will be sealed units, with no system tweaking/tools etc - "needs defraggin sir? oh sorry! that cant be done anymore, still here`s a nice new one for £400 quid"

Wait an see!
 Why? - Zero
Yeah, but PCs have hit the disposable commodity level so buy it, use it, throw away level has been reached.

As i say, if you have requirements to upgrade, build your own bespoke one with that thought in mind.

Even then you have to be careful, and use the right motherboard / chip set. Its easy to get stuck in a motherboard /CPU dead end.
 Why? - devonite
>>build your own bespoke one with that thought in mind.

Even then you have to be careful, and use the right motherboard / chip set. Its easy to get stuck in a motherboard /CPU dead end. <<

Exactly! that is Why sometimes, just sometimes, it`s nice to pop open the case, pop-in another drive, stick of mem etc and job done, no hassle, fuss or traipsing! especially if it`s one of my favorite old `putes that actually deserves a bit of a "tartin-up"

Any way jobs done now, the old girl has a new lease of life and seems to know it! ;-)
 Why? - RattleandSmoke
On most PCs the only upgrade I recommend is RAM upgrades, but with all PCs in the last two years coming with 2GB as standard I am doing a lot less RAM upgrades. I do a lot of RAM replacements on the other hand though.

Dell laptops especially have a habit of freezing due to faulty RAM.
 Why? - smokie
"the only upgrade I recommend is RAM upgrade"

What? Not SSD?

OK I understand your point but for many who do not use big storage a moderate SSD as C drive will provide a useful power boost.
 Why? - Stuartli
See:

www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4595

www.dvtech.co.uk/molex-to-sata-power-cable-adapter-p-2012.html
Latest Forum Posts