Computer Related > i Pod Repairs. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 14

i Pod Repairs. - Bromptonaut
B junior has dropped his I-pod and shattered the touch screen. Are such things repairable?
 i Pod Repairs. - Zero
Yeah, plenty of places offer fixed price replacements. Costs vary depending on model. Google is your friend here.
 i Pod Repairs. - RattleandSmoke
Just make sure they replace the screen with a proper one and some poor quality case off. Unless it was very expensive though you may find the repair will cost more than the Ipod itself.

If you're handy with a screw driver I would look into repairing it yourself.
 i Pod Repairs. - Zero

>> If you're handy with a screw driver I would look into repairing it yourself.

Good Lord. - I am - Very - but I wouldn't consider it. They don't make Ipods to repair.
 i Pod Repairs. - RattleandSmoke
I've never opened one up, I suspect they use torx heads on the screws but the screw drivers are very easy to buy. Enough back street shops seem to do it so I figured it would not be that hard.

It would be very fiddly though.
 i Pod Repairs. - Zero
They use a lot of glue and sticky strips.
 i Pod Repairs. - spamcan61
The front panel is a very tight force fit into the main body, needs levering out carefully, like most car trim these days.

Lots of how to do it videos on youtube, here's one that probably not the best but shows the basic idea:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujq21OwcHuo

i Pod Repairs. - Zero
Depends on the model.
>> Depends on the model.
>>
To a degree, although the force fit front panel is fairly common.

iPod gen 5:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqxuQQ9ERS0

More recent iPod touches are a tad different:-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=K567Ld3QYxA
 i Pod Repairs. - smokie
I once bought a batch of 6 drives from an eBay seller for a 40Gb iPod. The first opening was tricky and resulted in some scratching and minor damage but after that it was easy. ISTR the screen was not glued in, but I could be wrong. I expect later ones would be different though.
 i Pod Repairs. - Zero
How did you fit 6 drives in an Ipod?
iPod with RAID array?
 i Pod Repairs. - Bromptonaut
Thanks for the hints.

Beyond my technical skills to even think of DIY. I am though quite proud of my success at diagnosing the failed BB on his bike and getting the cranks off this morning to facilitate a repair.

His sister's going to take him down to the Apple shop in MK to get it properly diagnosed. He's practising 'man maths' on how the latest version with two cameras would be better value than a repair. The fund Granny put to one side for his benefit can pay apparently!!
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 5 Jun 11 at 17:01
 i Pod Repairs. - smokie
Silly billies... :-)
 i Pod Repairs. - R.P.
www.icorrect.co.uk/services.php?id=3

Saw these advertised in Private Eye.
Latest Forum Posts