Computer Related > Vista SP2 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 7

Vista SP2 - FocalPoint
My computer knowledge is limited, but I am wondering why, after all the time since its release, I have only yesterday been offered Vista SP2 through Windows Update.

Maybe the answer is here: I have Update turned off, but manually ask it to search for updates nearly every day. I choose a minimum of updates to install, usually those concerned with security. However, I think I must have inadvertently asked Update to install everything on its preselected list - I thought I had selected only Defender definitions. Soon after I was offered SP2.

Is the offer of SP2 triggered only when certain other updates have been installed?
 Vista SP2 - Stuartli
I've always done the same as you (presumably Notify me of new updates but do not install, using Customise in XP Pro and the list to check in Windows7), but the service does seem to vary.

I can choose to install a list of updates, yet a recheck for new updates afterwards can reveal some more being available...

I bought a new laptop last week and Windows Update initially found 58 updates available, which were downloaded and installed, plus a few since - yesterday Windows7 SP1 popped up out of the blue...:-)
 Vista SP2 - Zero
There are fixes called "prerequisites" that need to be installed before other fixes come along, and when using windows update, SP1 is just another "fix".
 Vista SP2 - John H
>> I bought a new laptop last week and Windows Update initially found 58 updates available,
>> which were downloaded and installed, plus a few since - yesterday Windows7 SP1 popped up
>>

I would go back to original "new laptop" position, then run the "System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7", apply any suggestions made by the tool, and then get straight to Win7-SP1. That minimises the crap left by the 58 updates that you now have on the laptop.

Vista SP2 - Victorbox
>> apply any suggestions made by the tool, and then get straight
>> to Win7-SP1. That minimises the crap left by the 58 updates that you now have
>> on the laptop.

In fact with Windows 7 SP1 I find it easier to download the full standalone installer from Microsoft which seems to run a bit smoother than the tailored Windows Update solution.
tinyurl.com/36prwjl
 Vista SP2 - Stuartli
>>..then run the "System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7">>

I've had no problems updating or installing Windows7 64bit updates as detailed in this link:

tinyurl.com/4x4tz7o

My particular Leveno laptop first went on sale about five months ago and I've assumed that updates downloaded since purchase have been a "catching up" process.

In any case it will always play second fiddle to my desktop...:-)
 Vista SP2 - John H
>> Is the offer of SP2 triggered only when certain other updates have been installed?
>>
full answer here
support.microsoft.com/kb/948343/

Vista SP2 - FocalPoint
Thanks, JH - I think this does indeed confirm that I unwittingly triggered the installation of SP2 myself.
Latest Forum Posts