Computer Related > Windows 8 anyone? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Focusless Replies: 5

Windows 8 anyone? - Focusless
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14908568

"We re-imagined Windows." :)

"Windows 8 is designed to run on tablet computers, as well as desktop and laptop PCs" (different interface depending on which you are using).
 Windows 8 anyone? - Zero
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14908568
>>
>> "We re-imagined Windows." :)
>>
>> "Windows 8 is designed to run on tablet computers, as well as desktop and laptop
>> PCs" (different interface depending on which you are using).

It still has the original interface available, the tablet one is just a shell slapped on, so they didn't imagine much.

The real key is that the kernal has been rewritten to run on ARM processors as well as Intel. That will have the boys at Santa Clara thinking.
 Windows 8 anyone? - rtj70
>> The real key is that the kernal has been rewritten to run on ARM processors

Fairly trivial to do that I would think. NT used to run on various platforms when it came out but they were eventually dropped - e.g. MIPS and Alpha.

I'm not sure an OS designed for a desktop is right for a tablet or phone though. I know they are not talking phones yet. And I realise iOS from Apple is based on a cut down version of MacOS X.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 14 Sep 11 at 19:28
 Windows 8 anyone? - Zero
trivial yes, but the significance is not. Not for the boys in Intel Boulevard, Santa Clara.
 Windows 8 anyone? - rtj70
Oh I agree with you on the significance :-)

I know one of the main designers of the ARM chip (Steve Furber) as he was a professor/lecturer when I was at Manchester University (he still is BTW). I bet the spinoff from Acorn never imagined the ARM processor would be so significant - and the design originally inspired by the simplicity of the 6502 CPU.

I wonder if Intel will ever regret selling their ARM business which they got from Digital (StrongARM).
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 14 Sep 11 at 21:41
 Windows 8 anyone? - TeeCee
>> I wonder if Intel will ever regret selling their ARM business which they got from
>> Digital (StrongARM).
>>

The Intel Atom. What happens when you flog off your only line of low-powered processors at the very moment that world+dog decides they want one. I'm sure that running the Red Queen's race wasn't part of the plan when they flogged off XScale....
Latest Forum Posts