Computer Related > Latex - superscript Computing Issues
Thread Author: Number_Cruncher Replies: 13

Latex - superscript - Number_Cruncher
I'm trying to put together a paper with a number of authors from different universities, and I'm having trouble.

Here's the layout of the author section I'm trying to use

author
{A Stinker$ˆ1$footnote{ Present address: Department of Hard Sums for Engineers, Northern Polyversity},
B Nice$ˆ1$,
C Noevil$ˆ1$ and
D Licious$ˆ2$}

but, when I compile the document, the ^1 and ^2 aren't suerscript, they are just normal large text.

Above the author section is

documentclass[12pt]{iopart}

usepackage{graphicx}

begin{document}

title{A long and tedious paper with lots of difficult maths}

Are there any Latex users who might know what I'm doing wrong?
 Latex - superscript - Focusless
Not wishing to insult you NC but a quick google suggests ^(exp) for superscript - do brackets help?
Alas not, I've tried enclosing the number in brackets - it doesn't help - thanks!

I think it's your up-arrows - when I initially copied and pasted your source, it didn't work. Then I noticed the up-arrow characters were different to what I get when I enter an up-arrow (on the 6 key). If I use my up-arrow, it works.
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 24 Sep 11 at 14:57
Thank you! thank you very much! - it works now!

I had copied the syntax from a PDF file explaining how to format papers for that journal, and, you're right, re-typing the up-arrows has done the trick. I have been fighting with those for over 3 hours, so, I am most thankful for your help!
No probs. That Latex reminds me of when I started working, at Racal Comms in Bracknell, using VAX/VMS and Runoff. I envy you actually using non-WYSIWYG tools, when most of us have to struggle with Word etc. :)
 Latex - superscript - Iffy
Focus,

Now this one's dealt with, how is the lad's band doing?

Err, hope you don't mind the slight(!) thread drift NC...

But as you ask iffy, quite well thanks. Some good footage from Knebworth in the summer; not a bad crowd, considering this was 11am on a Saturday morning at a metal festival and they were the first band on:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6EDYIxWTA

Off on a uk tour next week, then touring in the States for a month in November, headlining for half the tour. But no, he hasn't moved up from his S reg Corsa yet. Or moved out :)
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 24 Sep 11 at 15:46
 Latex - superscript - Iffy
Thanks.

Sounds like they are learning the trade, which will stand them in good stead if they make it big and get the inevitable 'overnight sensation' label from my colleagues in entertainment reporting.

Latex - superscript - rtj70
It's LaTeX. Latex is a form of rubber isn't it...
 Latex - superscript - movilogo
Never understood why people still use Latex!

Even Word 2000 seems to be equally capable.

During my university days, myself and my class mates did type everything (including complex engineering equations) in Word 2000 and never faced any issue.

I thought at those times people still did not make full transition to graphical user interface but somewhat surprised to see that people are still using Latex.

I think some of us (well, me for one) just like the idea of writing plain text with commands to control the appearance rather than the WYSIWYG approach. Just feels cleaner/purer?/easier somehow.
In my day to day work, I use openoffice - however, the exact layout and formatting of this work doesn't matter. If I choose to use Arial, or Times Roman, it doesn't much matter.

However, in this case, we intend the work to appear in a published journal - therefore, we need our work to look exactly like the journal's style and layout. Latex does this very well. The journal supply the files which control the formatting, and we don't need to give it even a moment's thought.

Although, as we've seen, I'm not an expert Latex user, I do like the way it splits up the content from the formatting - I can now concentrate on getting the text right without caring about formatting.

As it's a collaborative paper, now that the pictures and graphs which we are including have been agreed, the only information we now need to share between us is the text file, we don't need to send the images, and all the formatting and WP specific file format back and forth.

One aspect of openoffice which is a bit latex like is the text based input syntax to control equations - it's much more controllable than equation editor in word - which I haven't used since 2004!
 Latex - superscript - Kevin
Two of the books I co-authored and managed for my employer were written in BookMaster. Source documents were written in plain text with formatting tags. One handy feature was that it was possible to provide your own rules for the formatting engine. You could therefore customise for just about any style or output device.

We then switched to FrameMaker which was a PITA for a short period but ultimately worth it once you got to know where everything was.
Latest Forum Posts