Computer Related > JPG file Computing Issues
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 4

JPG file - sooty123
I'm trying to email a picture, but the limit is 3mb and the picture is 5 mb is there anyway of reducing it? thanks.
 JPG file - Focusless
You could try zipping it up but IIRC jpgs are already compressed so I don't think it'll make much difference.

Can you upload it to a photo sharing website eg. photobucket and email a link to it?
 JPG file - rtj70
As Focus points out, the JPEG image is already highly compressed so further compression with a program like ZIP is not going to help. The only options are to convert it to a lower resolution or increase the level of compression as a JPEG.

You don't mention the operating system you're using although we can probably guess at Windows XP, Vista or 7. If you had a Mac then the email application would offer the option to change the size of the image.

What you need to do is open it in a Photo editing program and re-save it with higher compression and/or lower resolution. The latter would be what I'd suggest doing in the first instance.

There will be free programs and paid for ones that do this. Try googling. I bet GIMP would do it but you might not need anything so complicated. You might even have a program that will do it already, e.g. Adobe Photoshop Elements or similar.
 JPG file - Zero
you can use an photo editing suite to change the quality of the picture to a lower one

www.ehow.com/how_5061455_reduce-jpeg-size.html

Or you can chop it up into bits using a RAR archiver and send it over several emails, as long as your recipient can put it back together again with UnRAR.
 JPG file - sooty123
Thanks zero looks good, i'll bookmark that.

Just tried taking a pic of it on my phone then sending that, just under the limit so they accepted it.

Thanks.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 10 Jan 12 at 19:01
Latest Forum Posts