Computer Related > Recommend me printer ink Computing Issues
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 22

Recommend me printer ink - hawkeye
Our Epson SX405 is being used more than somewhat and has a dipsomaniac's thirst for ink. I've been buying genuine Epson ink since some substitute stuff seemed to cause problems last year but I want to try 3rd party stuff again before I bankrupt the family.

Any recommendations for non-genuine ink that won't wreck the printer?

TIA
 Recommend me printer ink - Dulwich Estate
I've been happy enough with ink2u for HP substitute and Brother substitute cartridges.
 Recommend me printer ink - scousehonda
I've been using compatibles from choicestationery.co.uk for a series of Epson printers for over 10 years now. Excellent service and very reasonable pricing. Can't tell the difference from originals in my opinion.
 Recommend me printer ink - spamcan61
>> I've been using compatibles from choicestationery.co.uk for a series of Epson printers for over 10
>> years now. Excellent service and very reasonable pricing. Can't tell the difference from originals in
>> my opinion.
>>

Yeah, I use them to feed my Epson R300 and SX215 with no problems, in general cheapo carts seem more consistent quality these days, or maybe I've just been lucky.
 Recommend me printer ink - L'escargot
Genuine ink cartridges from justinkandpaper.com are cheaper than shops. tinyurl.com/6mpqvlh
Last edited by: L'escargot on Thu 26 Jan 12 at 08:50
 Recommend me printer ink - MJM
Try these,

I use them in my Epson. no problems in about a year of use.

inkredible.co.uk/
>> Our Epson SX405 is being used more than somewhat and has a dipsomaniac's thirst for
>> ink.

Rule number one with inkjets, particularly Epsons in my experience, is never switch them off; the 'cart' cleaning routine on power up uses a silly amount of ink.
 Recommend me printer ink - Focusless
>> Rule number one with inkjets, particularly Epsons in my experience, is never switch them off;
>> the 'cart' cleaning routine on power up uses a silly amount of ink.

Got an SX425 (great for £50), and on the odd occasion it's been turned off/on I've never seen/heard it do anything. Are you aware the cart cleaning is taking place, or is it silent?
Last edited by: Focus on Thu 26 Jan 12 at 10:19
Every time the SX215 powers up there's a clonking and whirring as it runs through the head cleaning routine, for about 2 mins - much the same for the R300 (although that's a bit quieter). You'd certainly know if it was happening, maybe they've stopped doing it on recent models.

Last edited by: spamcan61 on Thu 26 Jan 12 at 10:30
 Recommend me printer ink - Focusless
>> You'd certainly know if it was happening, maybe they've stopped
>> doing it on recent models.

Thanks.
 Recommend me printer ink - VxFan
>> Got an SX425

Same here. When switched on, you can hear the print heads do a quick whirr, clunk. If you lift the lid as if you were going to change the ink cartridges, you'll see them dance left to right a couple of times on switchon. That's the printer going through the cleaning routine.

On my previous Epson, I once had to pull it apart to clean it after a disasterous attempt at DIY cartridge filling. Put the refilled cartridge in and all the ink just poured out. Anyway, under the print head is a rubber wiper, a reservoir for any ink that leaks out during head cleaning, and a drain tube underneath that. The tube got massaged by an offset cam that pulled the ink through to a sponge around the rear of the printer. I think someone on here once said the nickname for the sponge was the Epson tampon!

Not sure if the SX425 has a similar set up. Still on the original cartridges that it came with it, and will probably continue to use genuine Epson when need replacing, given previous failed attempts at DIY filling, and using AN Other catridges that just seem to clog up the print heads.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 26 Jan 12 at 12:50
 Recommend me printer ink - hawkeye
Thanks all. Especially the tip about not turning off. Mrs H and no. 2 son turn it off after every print run.

(My bombproof Epson 880 now 11 years old)

Ordered a pack from choicestationery to see how it goes.
 Recommend me printer ink - bathtub tom
I refill my own (Canon) cartridges, there's plenty of kits available.

Epson have a chip IIRC, but I'm sure there'd be ways round it.
>> Epson have a chip IIRC, but I'm sure there'd be ways round it.

Yep, you can buy chip reset tools for less than £10.
 Recommend me printer ink - bathtub tom
>>Yep, you can buy chip reset tools for less than £10.

I'd guess you've got one for sale?

Perhaps ink-stained.

;>)
>> I'd guess you've got one

Funny you should say that. I do have one somewhere. Brand new, never used, because my previous printer didn't require a reset tool - despite the shop telling me so. God knows where it is though.
 Recommend me printer ink - Meldrew
I have always had good service and ink from IJT direct. If you can get you rinter to use 4r sets of compatible cartridges before it goes wrong (if it does) you will have saved the price of a new printer!
>> I have always had good service and ink from IJT direct. If you can get
>> you rinter to use 4r sets of compatible cartridges before it goes wrong (if it
>> does) you will have saved the price of a new printer!
>>

Sounds about right, either here or somewhere else on the interweb I 'did the math' for an Epson S200, even printer destruction after 3 sets was enough to tip the balance.
 Recommend me printer ink - Greysonphil
snip.

Nice try, but we don't allow self promotion of products here
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 15 Mar 12 at 12:45
 Recommend me printer ink - sajid
i got a canon ip4500, great printer and i use compatibles, the ones i get are the chipped ones on choice stationary, they sometimes do a bundle deal, never had a problem, best to research what compatible cartridges are available when buying a printer.
 Recommend me printer ink - Fullchat
I use Printerinks.com. Tend to buy two of their packages (several colours and blacks) and get one free.
End up with a shed load of ink with a bit of expense but it lasts for ages.
 Recommend me printer ink - Meldrew
I use ijt direct - for the moment they are VAT free as they operate out of the Channel Islands. Quite soon VAT will be applied which will affect Tesco, Amazon, Play.com and a number of healthcare and flower suppliers as well
 Recommend me printer ink - Stuartli
7DayShop.com or www.diskdepot.co.uk (Scottish firm).
Latest Forum Posts