Computer Related > Ipad substitute? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: PeteW Replies: 19

Ipad substitute? - PeteW
Daughter has decided to save up for an ipad. Now at about £5 a week it's going to take rather a long time to do this! And that's assuming none of it is spent on anything else.
I've seen some 7" android tablets on Amazon/ebay etc for about £50/£70 which seem to do most of the basics she apparently 'needs' to do.
Has anyone on here had/got one of these things and if so what are they like? Bear in mind this is for a 10 year old and is basically so she doesn't hog the family laptop!
 Ipad substitute? - Zero
The cheap android "tablets" are real shockers. They are 50/70 pounds for a reason. Don't waste your money.

Daughter does not want an iPad to "do" things, she wants an iPad, nothing else will do and you will not be popular if you get "a thing"
 Ipad substitute? - Falkirk Bairn
Blackberry tablet is around £150 @ carphone warehouse.

I am getting a 2 yr Ipad for free - my 3 x sons are addicted to the latest and this is a cast-off - fuzzy screen or not I'll give it a trial.

Maybe you could buy an older model from a friend or relative who has to have the latest model.
 Ipad substitute? - Bagpuss
My 16 year old nephew has had 4 iPods in as many years. He's now got the latest iPod Touch and is saving up for an iPhone (he's the only one at school who doesn't have one etc.) - I guess pocket money has gone up a bit since I was 16.
 Ipad substitute? - swiss tony
>> My 16 year old nephew has had 4 iPods in as many years. He's now
>> got the latest iPod Touch and is saving up for an iPhone

So he already conforms to Apples customer profile.
ie, must have the latest model because it is sooo much better than the previous one.....
... You have to give it to them, they really know how to market stuff.
 Ipad substitute? - Bagpuss
>> ... You have to give it to them, they really know how to market stuff.

Indeed they do. Works on me to some extent as well. Though in my case it's enthusiasm mixed with pragmatism to only upgrade every 3 or 4 generations.

Apple have basically (if they don't do a Nokia) got a whole generation of young people ready to lap up everything they offer.
 Ipad substitute? - Zero
>> Blackberry tablet is around £150 @ carphone warehouse.

Because it useless. You can't give the things away.
 Ipad substitute? - Focusless
Colleague at work bought one of the £100-ish tablets for his son (8?) for Christmas, and a slightly more upmarket one for himself; he's said he's pretty happy with both of them. I'll ask him on Monday which models they were.

I've mentioned before that The Gadget Show did a review of some cheap tablets last year. The conclusion was that there are some decent ones for about £120 IIRC, and don't get one with a resistive screen.
This is the episode where they did the cheap tablet comparison:
www.channel5.com/shows/the-gadget-show/episodes/episode-15-143

And this is the one which came out best:
www.storageoptions.com/blog/scroll-excel-tops-gadget-show-list-of-best-budget-tablets/

which according to Google Shopping is about £130.

EDIT: the programme was quite good for saying what the tablets could and couldn't do
Last edited by: Focus on Sat 10 Mar 12 at 20:24
 Ipad substitute? - Iffy
A few weeks ago I had a brief play on an iPad belonging to someone who has it for business use.

I still don't 'get' tablets, but he said it was a good tool, albeit fragile.

I wonder if any of the others are more sturdy?

Ipad substitute? - PeteW
Thanks for the replies.
Luckily my daughter genuinely wants something just for fun, and couldn't care a bit about it being an Apple product or not. Like 'Hoover' is to a vacuum cleaner, 'Ipad' is to tablet now.
Having had some experience of resistive screens I agree that maybe the cheaper tablets would be quite annoying to use, so anyone know of a reasonably priced tablet with a better touch screen technology?
>> Having had some experience of resistive screens I agree that maybe the cheaper tablets would
>> be quite annoying to use, so anyone know of a reasonably priced tablet with a
>> better touch screen technology?

Did you look at the links I posted?
 Ipad substitute? - Iffy
This 7" tablet looks quite well specced for £100.

www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Tablo_7_Tablet_with_Capacitive_Multi-To_1156442.html
 Ipad substitute? - rtj70
And this has a name which sounds wrong:

www.amazon.co.uk/Ainol-Novo-Paladin-Sandwich-Capacititive/dp/B006R6NT6S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331545095&sr=8-2

And this is even cheaper:

www.amazon.co.uk/Sandwich-Android-Capacitive-Multi-Touch-X-Burst/dp/B006R6V0AU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331545095&sr=8-1
For comparison - new iPad (3 but it's not called that) review:
www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/mar/15/apple-ipad-3-review

Prices from £399 to £659 according to
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17397908
 Ipad substitute? - VxFan
>> Prices from £399 to £659

Or £49.99 at Tesco ;o)

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17357383
 Ipad substitute? - movilogo
I am not an Apple fanboy but still think iPad is the leader among tablets.

BB Playbook is not bad but there is no ecosystem around it.

iPad can be used for both as an entertainment device or for light business work (not good for much typing though). A jailbroken iPad is even better.

Ipad substitute? - sooty123
>
>>
>> BB Playbook is not bad but there is no ecosystem around it.

What's a tablet ecosystem?

Have you had a look at the Kindle fire? I'm not sure when they come out in the UK, but I know a few people with them and they think highly of them. They were selling like hotcakes in the run upto xmas in the US. About £100 over no doubt about £200 when they turn up over here.
 Ipad substitute? - movilogo
Ecosystem is availability of useful apps which makes use of full potential of the tablet.
Last edited by: movilogo on Sat 17 Mar 12 at 14:01
 Ipad substitute? - Stuartli
The Asus Transformer and Transformer Pride (Android) are highly rated. See:

www.trustedreviews.com/search/reviews?q=asus+Eee+Pad+Transformer
Latest Forum Posts