Computer Related > Is this how Outlook works? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 8

Is this how Outlook works? - Rudedog
I only have experience of Outlook at work so I'm not 100% on the detail of the app.

My question is to do with something I experienced today, I replied to an email from a member of my Trust who doesn't work for all of the week on-site, my reply was critical of some aspects of a plan that was being put forward. Now to my utter surprise I received a reply from someone totally different to the originator! I definitely only sent it to him and he didn't have the 'out of office' turned on so I assumed he was around, my thinking is that he has setup some kind of shared mailbox for the other person to see.

So is there any way of knowing this beforehand? and if I sent it marked as 'Confidential' (using the Option button) would that stop it going to anyone else apart from the intended recipient?
 Is this how Outlook works? - RattleandSmoke
Could easily have a shared inbox a lot of my clients want this setup, so them and their employees can receive all their emails but they cannot send it in their name.

So I can set it up so that me and an employee can receive all of Rattle's emails but they cannot send them in my name.

Is this how Outlook works? - R.P.
I divert my car4play e-mails to a personal account, and can reply from either
 Is this how Outlook works? - AnotherJohnH
>> So I can set it up so that me and an employee can receive all
>> of Rattle's emails but they cannot send them in my name.
>>

Outlook can be setup so that employees can send "on behalf of Rattle", but it will name the actual originator as well.
 Is this how Outlook works? - Focusless
>> Now to my utter surprise I received a reply from someone totally different to the
>> originator!

Is it possible the originator just forwarded your reply to this other person?
 Is this how Outlook works? - Focusless
>> Is it possible the originator just forwarded your reply to this other person?

...and to clarify, the other person hit 'reply' and changed the originator's address to yours (and possibly removed the originators details from the message content to it looked like it had gone direct to him).
Well the reply came back from the new staff member with their details at the top, and I don't think they could be bothered to do any fancy cutting & pasting of addresses. I suspect it's more to with the fact that the guy was off-site and so the other person had access to his mailbox in case anything important needed replying to ASAP.

I just don't like the idea of not knowing who I'm 'really' sending my emails to.
 Is this how Outlook works? - Duncan
>> I just don't like the idea of not knowing who I'm 'really' sending my emails to.
>>

I have always worked on the understanding that an email is as confidential as writing a note and leaving it on a park bench!
OK, I understand that, but wouldn't it be etiquette to at least put a footnote stating that you are replying to a shared mailbox, or are we advocating that the MD of companies should have access to all of the email traffic between their staff.
Latest Forum Posts