Computer Related > What Broadband Speeds... Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 11

What Broadband Speeds... - Ambo
...should I expect? For Download I get 12.95 which seems good but how about PING (I get 42) and Upload (I get 0.70)?
 What Broadband Speeds... - L'escargot
Google for "broadband speed test". There are lots of free speed testers.

I tried mine but unfortunately the results varied widely from one tester to another.
 What Broadband Speeds... - rtj70
PING is used to test connectivity and provides some sort of measure of round trip time and therefore network latency. For your ADSL line speed, 42ms sounds about right.

The PING result depends l largely on network speed but also distance. A PING to a server in London from the UK will be lower than to Australia for obvious reasons. So if I run PING against say:

newswww.bbc.net.uk

I get about 14ms at the moment.

And for a normal ADSL line, then the A stands for asymmetrical so that you have faster download than upload. Thy often cap upload speeds. So again your upload speed is probably about right.
 What Broadband Speeds... - Zero
The ping time depends on lots, the number of hops in the link, and the response of the recipient host.

Sometimes you won't get a ping back from the host because a ping response is blocked to prevent hacking.

If I ping Khoosys.net (the host network for this site) I get 5 no responses, and two of 35ms or less and 3 of 900ms +

None of that is to do with the network quality. You need to be careful about what host you ping of you are trying to find out if you have problems with latency,
 What Broadband Speeds... - rtj70
I tried www.khoosys.net and got no lost reposes and all some back around 22-23ms. So there you go, PING is not that consistent and I never thought would be on t'Internet sites.
 What Broadband Speeds... - Focusless
100 pings 0 lost avg 27ms max 38 - wouldn't have expected that from what you said Z, but perhaps I didn't understand what you meant.
 What Broadband Speeds... - R.P.
We've had some trouble here of late - speed was down to 1/2 a meg for a while with a ping of 52ms - BT were very good came here and tested the ASDL told me that a 5.8mb was theoretically possible - the master socket was replaced (again) we now have 4.8mb and a ping of 42ms - Fibre Optics have arrived to a junction box a mile away - Reckons we'll get a good enough rate through copper to here when it finally appears to make a half decent speed for the sticks.
 What Broadband Speeds... - Zero
>> 100 pings 0 lost avg 27ms max 38 - wouldn't have expected that from what
>> you said Z, but perhaps I didn't understand what you meant.

Just go to show how variable it is, when I ping I now get the same figures as you.

Mind it confirms what I have noticed, sometimes the C4P site goes down on me from time to time (404 error) , not just from this location.
 What Broadband Speeds... - spamcan61
>> ...should I expect? For Download I get 12.95 which seems good but how about PING
>> (I get 42) and Upload (I get 0.70)?
>>

Depends what kind of broadband you've got; for comparison we've just been upgraded to ADSL2+ and get 13 down 0.9 up, so pretty similar to you. Ping is around 25ms. More speed than I know what to do with.
 What Broadband Speeds... - Stuartli
Try pingtest.net along with speedtest.net (different servers give varied results).
 What Broadband Speeds... - Crankcase
> More speed than I know what to do with.

Indeed. Went onto the Virgin site on Friday pressed the "not at all obvious button that enables the free speed increases early if you know where to look and your area has been done", and lo, now have 60mb, up from 20.

I suppose Youtube/Netflix are a bit quicker to start playing, nothing else noticeable.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 19 Mar 12 at 15:19
 What Broadband Speeds... - AnotherJohnH
On the other side of this "more speed etc..." I was up in the Lake District last week, no internet.
The pole had been knocked down.
No 3G.
Two days for BT to plant another..

It's a different world, and wet too
Latest Forum Posts