Motoring Discussion > CRV service and MOT Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 19

CRV service and MOT - Pat
A lighthearted thread to rally some support this morning:)

We've owned the CRV (2002 petrol) for three years now and it's been MOT'd twice and has sailed though despite having 115000 miles on it, with nothing needing doing.
Apart from an annual small service and a set of tyres, we've not spent a penny on it but the MOT is due again this week.

We called in at our local indie who looks after it yesterday morning to make the arrangements for it to go in there next week and this is where I stood and listened in shock!

Mr pda has decided that it's time to give it some TLC as he puts it.

Here is the list of jobs he wants done.

MOT
Brakes looking at as the pedal is getting low (he thinks! I think his leg is shrinking)
Pollen Filter changing.
Coolant changing.
Brake Fluid changing.
Rear diff oil changing.
couple of dashboard bulbs replacing.
Boot door light switch only works when it wants to.
Slight noise from rear n/s wheel when cornering hard (he's paranoid!)
Full service.

Now I was horrified as we'd just had a conversation about three years expense free motoring and how we both wanted to keep the CRV as long as we can....men can be devious too:)

His argument is to spend a bit of money on it now and get another three years trouble free.
Mine is to service and MOT it and do only what needs doing as a result of that.

It didn't freeze up last winter so the coolant must be OK.
Brake fluid never used to 'go off'
Pollen filter, well take it out and blow it out.
Rear diff oil was changed when we bought it.
Spray the switch with WD40

So you're the jury, who's right me or him?

And now the big question...what will the eventual bill be?

There's a virtual pint for the closest estimate!

I think the money would have been far better spent on the garden.

Pat

CRV service and MOT - AnotherJohnH
No idea of the total cost.

However, coolant is more than antifreeze - it's a corrosion inhibitor too.

But, modern coolant often has an enormous design life, unlike the old blue stuff.

If it's in the service brief for the age/mileage, get it done, otherwise not.

Brake fluid does need fairly regular changing, if you want to avoid expense. It's hygroscopic, and AFAIK the water does BAD THINGS to ABS controllers and other expensive bits.

You could always buy a new pollen filter, if you're going to the bother of getting the old one out to blow on it...
 CRV service and MOT - bathtub tom
Bellboy showed us all how to check the brake fluid:
tinyurl.com/3f2cm93
Last edited by: bathtub tom {p} on Sun 3 Apr 11 at 09:02
 CRV service and MOT - Manatee
From memory the pollen filter's quite expensive. £50 or so. They do block up so it's replace or remove. I know I have one somewhere but I can't find the blasted thing. I'll have another look today but I'm not hopeful - if I find it you can have it (we'll be in the fens next week).

The 'noise' I would let develop if it's possibly imagined (could be tyre noise?). Diff fluid maybe - if you wait until it 'groans', you'll need twice as much to flush it.

You might be able to 'adjust' the tailgate switch. It's operated by an L-shaped bit of metal in a cut-out in the plastic trim. On my last CRV, whoever fitted the towbar put the trim back such that it reduced the travel of the switch. Paring a tiny bit of plastic off was enough to fix it.

It's a pain when it doesn't work, because if you unlock the car, open the tailgate to load up, then close it, if the switch hasn't operated and it takes you more than 30 seconds from first unlock to get to the driver's door then the car re-locks itself (the light switch operating prevents this. If you happen to have left your keys in the boot it can be inconvenient - don't ask how I know!).
Thanks for looking for the pollen filter Manatee:)
The diff fluid was changed for the uprated one 3 years ago and the old fluid flushed out before we collected it.
The tailgate switch used to work perfectly before we had the tow bar fitted so I'm sure that must be the same problem as you had, and I will suggest the easy cure when I drop it off this morning.
A good point about dashboard lights and getting them all changed, I'll suggest that as well.
You've convinced me about the brake fluid change but I'm convinced that the noise we hear when turning left, which is only just audible is corrosion on the disc or backplate.

Zero, I see you make another judgement from where you're sitting ( which at this time 04.08, is in bed) and the word you should have used is could, not should.

Ian was up for work at 2AM this morning, he will not be home before 6PM tonight, and by Friday will have done at least 75 hours to complete the week.
Working those hours gives him the option to pay a person who knows what he's doing, to do the job properly. We work on the bike together and do all the servicing because it's something we can both do and enjoy doing it.
We're happy to admit we're out of our depth with modern cars though.

Pat
 CRV service and MOT - Zero

>> Zero, I see you make another judgement from where you're sitting ( which at this
>> time 04.08, is in bed) and the word you should have used is could, not
>> should.

I will rephrase that. He could be doing it himself and I would.

>> We're happy to admit we're out of our depth with modern cars though.

DOnt give me this crap. If you can change brake hoses on a bike, this list is a doddle.
In my experience of life Z there are two things that never gel together.

You eother have time to do thinks because you don't work but not the money to do them, or you have the money because you work but not the time.
If anyone has found the answer to that one, I'd love to know what it is.

Pat
Its called a work life balance Pat.

very hard to do these days.
 CRV service and MOT - Dog
If the vehicle is/was serviced according to the manufacturers service schedule, most of the questions wouldn't arise.
 CRV service and MOT - Old Navy
If thats Mr PDA's idea of a birthday present I can see him living in the CRV for the foreseeable future. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 3 Apr 11 at 10:00
 CRV service and MOT - -
Of course he's right, us chaps know about such things as preventative maintenance and taking care of our vehicles...thougha transmission fluid change should be added to the list, and it wouldn't hurt to change the power steering fluid, and the brakes should be removed, cleaned and lubricated correctly...all this after a good underbody washing now the salts gone.
It's a good vehicle and worth looking after.

Daughter has run up nearly 6K on her Civic since she bought it, i mentioned it'll soon need the oil changing again...the sound of shock transmitted down the phone, it's a girl thing and vehicle neglect is in the female genes.

Course you could have a cozy session under the CRV doing these jobs yerselves, labour cost nada.

:-)

Edit, if it doesn't need new brakes, £325 should cover the lot in your list.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 3 Apr 11 at 21:27
 CRV service and MOT - spamcan61
I'm not sure about the CRV but changing dash bulbs can get expensive these days, often half the dash needs to come out - it can easily cost 50 quid plus to change a couple of dash bulbs.

If you get it done make sure they change them all, so at least it should only have to be done once.

I'd get the coolant and brake fluid changed, maybe the diff oil if it's scheduled for a change.

Fixing little problems like the light switch can start to get expensive as cars age, especially if you're paying someone else to do it, hence I fix 'em myself or leave it.
 CRV service and MOT - Manatee
>>maybe the diff oil if it's scheduled for a change.

The diff oil is a very particular thing on a CRV. It's called Dual Pump Fluid, and if it was replaced 3 years ago it should have been done with the 'improved' version 2. The rear diff contains the multiplate clutch that engages the RWD and if the fluid gets water in through the breather the plates rust and creak on full lock. The cure is to lift the car with all wheels free and run it in gear with the handbrake half on to rub the plates clean, then flush and refill. Changing the fluid can be seen as pre-emptive.

I agree about the ATF - at least check it's still the right colour, preferably drain (as much as can be) and refill.

Unfortunately, Pat, I failed to unearth the pollen filter.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sun 3 Apr 11 at 22:18
>Brakes looking at as the pedal is getting low (he thinks! I think his leg is shrinking)
>Pollen Filter changing.
>Coolant changing.
>Brake Fluid changing.
>Rear diff oil changing.
>couple of dashboard bulbs replacing.
>Boot door light switch only works when it wants to.
>Slight noise from rear n/s wheel when cornering hard (he's paranoid!)
>Full service.

He should be doing most of that himself. There is no rocket science there. If need be he could farm the noise part out to the garage.
 CRV service and MOT - Dave_
>> a virtual pint for the closest estimate

DIY:

parts for odd jobs 104
parts for service 55
MoT 50
TOTAL 209

Garage:

parts for odd jobs 104+VAT
labour for odd jobs 70+VAT
MoT 50
service 129+VAT
TOTAL 413.60

:)
 CRV service and MOT - Iffy
I reckon Pat's indie is a fair-minded man who is not one to overcharge anyone, let alone regular customers who he knows haven't got millions in the bank.

The spongy brake pedal could be expensive, but I'm assuming the fluid change/bleed will cure that.

Total bill, including service, MoT and VAT: £272.46.

Well, Iffy gets the virtual pint and even his estimate is over the top.

She sailed through the MOT with no problems for the third year, but with an advisory for 2 new wiper blades.
No problems found with the brakes and all jobs done as above other than the back door light switch which has been ordered from Honda.

£248.00 including the MOT:)

And delivered back to the door.

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Wed 6 Apr 11 at 15:03
 CRV service and MOT - DP
Bargain, Pat!
 CRV service and MOT - Bellboy
its really at the age of hatncoat though
Yes, but we're happy with what we've got BB, which is more than a lot of people can say!
And we don't like the new shape CRV.

Pat
Latest Forum Posts