Motoring Discussion > Holiday Oddities Miscellaneous
Thread Author: ToMoCo Replies: 41

Holiday Oddities - ToMoCo
tinyurl.com/kzvjvob

I love spotting old/obscure cars when on holiday. Wasn't really much of interest on my last one, but caught this while out walking one day. Still in daily use as a builders van by the look of it.

Anyone know what it is before the next picture?
 Holiday Oddities - madf
Judging by the other photos, It was a Lexus Soarer converted to a van...
Lexus Soarer? No such vehicle exists! :)

Exactly why I haven't uploaded the next photo yet. ;-0
 Holiday Oddities - rtj70
>> Lexus Soarer? No such vehicle exists! :)

He meant Toyota Soarer surely? But was a version of the Soarer not also sold elsewhere as a Lexus? Depends which model you're talking about. The Lexus SC was also sold as a Toyota Soarer was it not?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 21 Oct 14 at 14:23
 Holiday Oddities - henry k
>>>>Judging by the other photos, It was a Lexus Soarer converted to a van...
>>
>>Lexus Soarer? No such vehicle exists! :)
>>
>>Exactly why I haven't uploaded the next photo yet. ;-0

Something strange going on!
I saw photos of a Lexus Soarer which is a model that does exist and gray imports are here in the UK.Also several photos of exhaust parts etc.
Hence I assume the initial comment about that model.
" I haven't uploaded the next photo next" refers to ??? as there were additional photos.

When I tried again to view the photos I got a warning from my virus checker about a suspect site.
I closed the link and now trying the link again I see just the photo of the pick up.
I don't know why sometimes the links take you to my photobucket page and other times take you to a single photo, but the pictures you seen were almost certainly of my Toyota Soarer. There was never a Lexus Soarer.

Comment about next photo were just regarding further photos of the pick up.
 Holiday Oddities - Westpig
Morris Marina pick up

www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/miscpics/marina2.jpg
Last edited by: Westpig on Tue 21 Oct 14 at 13:58
Yup, well done WP.

tinyurl.com/klffyzw

That didn't last long then!
 Holiday Oddities - Old Navy
Of course the next question is where is it?
 Holiday Oddities - RattleandSmoke
Been a long time since I have seen one of them, a neighbour used to have the van version in the 1990s, it was in good knick and it would be a shame if it is scrapped now but it would have been a 20 year old banger in 1995.

Last time I saw some unusual cars abroad was in 2007 in Berlin, lots of Trabants and Wartbergs still about, I bet now they are long gone. In Spain I often see a lot of 1980s Fords still running but never anything that unusual.

A few years ago I saw an abandoned Trabant in Bryce Canyon City, a motel and a couple of shops miles from anywhere in the Utah desert. It can still be seen on Google maps, near the zebra crossing, across the road from the hotel.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 21 Oct 14 at 15:18
 Holiday Oddities - legacylad
Quite a lot of old vehicles here in Madeira, although I am struggling to venture out from the hotel much. Plenty of old Corollas, Audis and some kind of vintage Chevrolet parked around the corner.
I find the number of newish Porsche Turbo's an oddity, given the dimensions of the island. Although they could doubtless be the same few driving around & around.
You need a bit of power for the hills.
 Holiday Oddities - Zero
>> You need a bit of power for the hills.

Not really, driven round there in a very exhausted worn out low powered clio, and I have a seen a veteran car run up into into the Curral das Freiras
It was an obviously poor joke Zero, you may remember that I found a 1.2 Sandero adequate for the mountains of Tenerief. Admittedly it was a newish one.
I seem to be coping ok with my havaianas.
Just don't tell Runfer....
 Holiday Oddities - Zero
>> I seem to be coping ok with my havaianas.
>> Just don't tell Runfer....

Flip flops are flip flops.
 Holiday Oddities - CGNorwich
The owner of the last house I rented in La Palma in the Canaries worked at the Roque de los Muchachos Observatory which is 2,400 metres above sea level. He did the commute in a 10 year old battered Fiat Panda.

Holiday Oddities - bathtub tom
>>A few years ago I saw an abandoned Trabant in Bryce Canyon City

Yup, looks like a Trabby to me: tinyurl.com/ogaeved
 Holiday Oddities - Westpig
>> That didn't last long then!
>>

Not willing to admit to that.
Last edited by: Westpig on Tue 21 Oct 14 at 18:18
Some old Bikes - no idea what they are (except Vespa), but the Blue one may give a clue as to the where?

i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af130/Chris1JZ-GTE/bike1_zpsb278c8d6.jpg

i1000.photobucket.com/albums/af130/Chris1JZ-GTE/bike2_zpsf0cd6a97.jpg
 Holiday Oddities - Harleyman
The blue one on its own looks like a Casal.
Could that red one next to the Vespa be a Zundapp? ISTR they did a fan cooled one (could never understand why).
 Holiday Oddities - wokingham
Because a Zundapp couldn't go fast enough for its passing through the air to cool the engine, hence to power sapping fan!
I think it's more likely to be a Puch. They had the fan-cooled engine and the frame looks similar in design as does the rear carrier.
>> The blue one on its own looks like a Casal.
>>

Very good shout - the headlight does look right.
Done a bit of research; it's a Mebea, pic was taken in Greece (where they were made) and I claim my five drachma!
 Holiday Oddities - Runfer D'Hills
I drove all over Madeira in a Seat Marbella 750cc years ago. It's steep a lot of the time, Madeira. Good job we weren't in a hurry. ( the only car I've ever driven which made a mk 1 Fiat Panda feel luxurious, somehow, goodness knows how, they managed to make it even more basic. )

What's that black fish stuff they have there again? Supposed to be a delicacy. Ronks in reality.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 21 Oct 14 at 16:53
>>I drove all over Madeira in a Seat Marbella 750cc years ago

I recall dropping into second for an up gradient on a Madeiran motorway in a Cinquecento, but IIRC the island is only five miles wide and two miles high (in the middle).

Those Marbellas were the early incantation of Pandas, had leaf springs in the back!
Good detective work HM. I was on the Greek island, Zante.
Scabbard. Apparently they have big pointy teeth.
Quite 'meaty' but I prefer a nice piece of halibut. Had some on a skewer in the Mexican restaurant next door a few days ago.
Gong to have meat in a stone tonight. A hot slice of marble, then cook the lump of dead cow as much, or as little, as you fancy. There's novel.
>> Gong to have meat in a stone tonight. A hot slice of marble, then cook
>> the lump of dead cow as much, or as little, as you fancy. There's novel.
>>

Nice, but I'd much rather not cook my own food when paying to eat out.
 Holiday Oddities - rtj70
Encountered this in Frankfurt in 1990. Still not sure about the concept.
Indeed they do have big pointy teeth and huge eyes.

www.pbase.com/image/75883325

Know locally as espada and curiously to my mind often served with banana. Not to be confused with espetada which is beef on a skewer
Chuffing banana with everything. Apart from Carols beer,as we call it. My room even looks over a banana plantation.
And it's raining. Again.
Wish I was back home. Didn't want to come anyway.
well at least the forecast is for 29C in Funchal tomorrow. Only 12C here in Norwich so I would make the most of it. I like Madeira especially the older parts of Funchal.
 Holiday Oddities - No FM2R
Right here, right now, its 31 degrees and clear blue skies.

I love the spring.

>> And it's raining. Again.

Ungrateful whinger, at least the rain is warm. :)
 Holiday Oddities - Runfer D'Hills
That's them right enough. Ugly critters.
 Holiday Oddities - Ted

Found 2 of these on a Greek island 20 yrs ago. Both the same colour as the photo but not together. Both abandoned.

tinyurl.com/ly2y4aj

There was also a blue Nechar and a WW2 British Bedford 3 tonner......totally rust covered.
 Holiday Oddities - rtj70
I was expecting to see a tank on a beach or something. e.g.

www.flickr.com/photos/21655897@N07/12099406505

Latest Forum Posts