Computer Related > Online back-up Computing Issues
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 13

Online back-up - FocalPoint
After a conversation over the weekend on the subject, I'm wondering if my practice of backing up documents, photos and other important files using an external hard drive is good enough.

The stuff I would hate to lose and which would involve a huge effort to reinstate consists of downloaded material like insurance documents and stuff related to my interests in music researched on the internet; thousands of photos both in original RAW format and edited versions; documents like copies of letters, copies of tax returns, Christmas mailing list - but most of all, musical scores which represent literally hundreds of hours of work. No doubt I could list more if I trawled through my folders. You get the idea, anyway.

My nightmare is that the house gets burgled (it's never happened yet, but there's always a first time), the computer gets nicked and I'm not up to date with my back-ups, or the external hard drive (which I keep separately) is discovered and nicked too.

I'm confident you expert guys will have the answers and presumably it involves online storage. What costs are involved and what do you get in return? Is there some system, say, whereby I can press a button at the end of each day and just the files I have added/altered are backed up? And if my computer was stolen could everything personal be re-instated - just like that?

Any advice will be gratefully received.
 Messages Author Date
 Online back-up  FocalPoint 10 Apr 12 15:42
 Online back-up  diddy1234 10 Apr 12 16:14
 Online back-up  FocalPoint 11 Apr 12 14:57
 Online back-up  rtj70 11 Apr 12 16:38
 Online back-up  rtj70 11 Apr 12 17:10
 Online back-up  smokie 11 Apr 12 17:11
 Online back-up  smokie 11 Apr 12 17:13
 Online back-up  lancara 11 Apr 12 17:35
 Online back-up  John H 11 Apr 12 18:41
 Online back-up  FocalPoint 11 Apr 12 18:53