Motoring Discussion > Knowing when to let go Buying / Selling
Thread Author: tyro Replies: 17

Knowing when to let go - tyro
As some of you will know, the Ford Ka is now 9 years old. Service plus MOT plus cost of work to get it through the MOT came to about £375, which, considering I haven’t spent anything on it in the past 12 months, seems fine to me.

However, looking at the first two items on the original “refusal” certificate (tinyurl.com/chpzew3), and looking at the list of advisories on the MOT certificate (granted after the re-test) (tinyurl.com/chls8u5), words like “corroded” occurred a little too often for comfort. And rust is coming through the paintwork on about half a dozen different places on the vehicle. And my friendly independent mechanic suggested that I get rid of the vehicle sooner rather than later, as it would probably cost the best part of £1000 to get it through the test next year - more than the car is worth.

Against this there are a few factors which mean that I am not in a hurry to get rid of it.

1) I like it. On the long drive home from the MOT station in Inverness, the car drove very nicely, and I enjoyed driving it.
2) Having owned it from new, I know its history, and while it does have a rust problem, other than that, it seems to be fine.
3) Over the next few years, the car will cost me nothing in depreciation. Were I to buy, for example, a new Ka, it would cost me at least £3000 in depreciation over next couple of years. And if I were to buy a 2nd hand vehicle, it would probably involve a fair amount of time (& time is money!) and a lot of miles of travelling in order to look at possible replacement vehicles.

So, realistically, the current vehicle probably has to go in the next 2 or 3 years, simply because the corrosion will soon become a major problem. But it doesn’t seem urgent at the moment. The question is really knowing how long to hold on and when to get rid of it.
 Messages Author Date
 Knowing when to let go  new tyro 3 Sep 12 12:04
 Knowing when to let go  new devonite 3 Sep 12 12:07
 Knowing when to let go  new oilburner 3 Sep 12 12:16
 Knowing when to let go  new DP 3 Sep 12 12:20
 Knowing when to let go  new bathtub tom 3 Sep 12 12:25
 Knowing when to let go  new Zero 3 Sep 12 12:22
 Knowing when to let go  new tyro 3 Sep 12 12:24
 Knowing when to let go  new No FM2R 3 Sep 12 12:32
 Knowing when to let go  new Runfer D'Hills 3 Sep 12 13:10
 Knowing when to let go  new BobbyG 3 Sep 12 13:58
 Knowing when to let go  new PeterS 3 Sep 12 14:10