Computer Related > The future of `computing` or rather, web access? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Vicar of Bray Replies: 16

The future of `computing` or rather, web access? - RattleandSmoke
I am not quite sure if tablets will be sucessfull because they are a bit too big. I now do a lot of surfing on the net as I am using buses a lot more and sometimes when I am at jobs waiting for scans I just surf the web on my phone. The main issue with phone surfing is it is very hard to reply to forums like this, it is too much faff on a numeric keypad.

I think the biggest thing we have changed in using the web is that there is now a lot of proper multimedia. Six years ago if you said we will be watching TV quality video streaming on the net without any jitter we would have laughed.

I have had the internet at home for 13 years so have seen a lot of changes and first used it back in Janaury 1996. Netscape was the browser of choice using the WinSock DLL for TCP/IP on Windows 3.1. Webcrawler was the most popular broser but within the year Yahoo took over.

I think by the end of 1999 Google was the top search engine.

Personaly I think mobile phones will just get even better for net access, there will be much more internet TV and it will replace traditional broadcasts. Also the internet will slowly become essential the government will stop a lot of traditional services and everything will be done online.

I also think Windows will become much less popular and all our data will be stored online in a data centre. By 2020 even our operating system will probably arrive via TCP/IP.
 Messages Author Date
 The future of `computing` or rather, web a.. new Vicar of Bray 25 Feb 10 18:27
 The future of `computing` or rather, web .. new Zero 25 Feb 10 20:57
 The future of `computing` or rather, .. new RattleandSmoke 25 Feb 10 23:14
 The future of `computing` or rather, we.. new Dave_ 25 Feb 10 23:26
 The future of `computing` or rather, w.. new RattleandSmoke 25 Feb 10 23:32
 The future of `computing` or rather,.. new Dave_ 25 Feb 10 23:49
 The future of `computing` or rather.. new RattleandSmoke 26 Feb 10 00:12
 The future of `computing` or rathe.. new Crankcase 26 Feb 10 08:30
 The future of `computing` or rath.. new Focusless 26 Feb 10 09:03
 The future of `computing` or rather,.. new smokie 26 Feb 10 10:57
 The future of `computing` or rather,.. new Pat 26 Feb 10 11:20