Non-motoring > Google has finally found us at last Miscellaneous
Thread Author: car4play Replies: 49

Google has finally found us at last - car4play
Only under "car4play.com" for now, but that's a start.

It should start to visit more frequently if it detects changes since the last time it visited - which it will of course. It currently has an archive of this site when no-one was here.
;-)

You never know, sometime next week we may even get some new Googled users.

Talking of links to us, Ling you mentioned that you would kindly put a link here from your site. Did you manage to find time to do that and if so anyone found it?
 Google has finally found us at last - Pat
If you don't mind a few more lorry drivers I would be happy to get our webmaster to put one on the pda-uk.org.
But I really will understand if you don't want to be inundated and not be offended:)

Pat
Pat that would be great!
Will do!

Pat
Cool! Thanks.
 Google has finally found us at last - Zero
Do you think there is really any chance of anyone finding a link to anywhere on Lings site?
now now.. that is an award winning website.

She is smart enough to know that it's all good publicity.

Did you find the link that gets Ling down off her perch, and then puts her back on it again? You have to admit it, it is amusing. ;-)
Last edited by: car4play on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 15:42
 Google has finally found us at last - Fenlander
Love it or hate it/her Lings website does give away some really good *free* stuff. Like this step by step guide to getting to the top of Google searches. It's worth donning the sunglasses and having a read.

www.lingscars.com/googlejack.php
 Google has finally found us at last - LINGsCARS
That jumping up and down nearly killed me. I had to climb on a metal stationary cabinet perched on a desk, all covered in a green cloth. I nearly died.

But, it works quite well :)

I still have the bruises!
Last edited by: LINGsCARS on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 16:30
Re the link from my site - well, to be honest, I didn't do it because I thought I might get backlash if a few people came here and mentioned me.

People might think it was a repeat of the HJ thing where I gave him a thread which got some moaners screaming, and 75 emails to reply to.

I got emails from him saying: "Congratulations on your astonishing ability to **** everybody off and waste hours of my time and my people's time."

Hours and hours... replying a few emails with canned responses.

:)

What does everyone think, what if "Ling supporters" roll up here? Don't want to hack everyone off.

Yes, Google finds me too, I am No1 in the UK for: "hire a kebab van", "kebab van wedding hire" and "kebab van hire"

I do not sell Kebab vans. That is terrorist inject into Google, probably by Honest John.

(not really by HJ)
Last edited by: LINGsCARS on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 16:33
 Google has finally found us at last - John H
I joined up as a member here after some mystery person contacted me on Tuesday iirc.

This is my first tentative post because I am still not sure who the people are behind this forum.

There are no "about us" or "contact us" pages and there is nothing about privacy policy.

This reminds me of Police sting operations when they lure criminals and then before you know it they have gotcha!

In the other place you guys were telling me not to buy a second hand car from stranger in a layby as the car will be cloned and you will be a mug to buy it.

This forum looks like a very good clone of another site to me!

I will wait until there is more revealed about the real identity of the forum before daring to say anything about the other site.

For all I know the other site may have set this up to flush out pommy whingers from there once the other site is operational and then shut this one down after the job is done.

Google has finally found us at last - rtj70
I think we are mostly old friends on here... chill out a bit. This has nothing to do with the other site. Software that was discarded apart.
John H, The site is legitimate.

I agree Mr Khoo should add about and privacy (in practice that makes not one jot of difference. Also a while ago all the HJ user emails were stolen from the HJ forum previously, apparently).

I have some concerns about the way people were contacted, and from what list, but everyone insisted it was just pals, friends and totally innocent.

What did the mystery person say on irc? How did they know you were a HJ user?
Last edited by: LINGsCARS on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 17:13
>> I agree Mr Khoo should ...

'Dr' please! (Does aeronautics count me as a 'rocket scientist'?) ;-)
 Google has finally found us at last - R.P.
Hahaha !
 Google has finally found us at last - John H
Ah so it is Dr Khoo the rocket scientist and not Dr NO the mystery Chinese hacker.

I have only just noticed the "By Khoosys" at the bottom of the page.

I want to say to LingsCars that I said "iirc" to mean "if I remember correctly".

I am sorry I do not know who the mystery person was and so I have not knowledge of how he or she knew my email address and so cannot help LingsCars to solve the puzzle.

Last edited by: John H on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 17:38
John H,

hahaha, sorry, I thought you meant "irc" as in "internet relay chat"

Right. So it was an email?

Do you have it? Would you please forward it to me so i can look at this? sales@lingscars.com

If you are unwilling to, please tell me who the header says it is from?

I understand I am like a dog with bone, but, I have had anonymous emails which make some allegations, and it would be really good to see that email, to see if the anonymous stuff makes sense.

Hope you know who I am. My profile is public and I am all over the web.

Thx
 Google has finally found us at last - smokie
Without my moderators hat on...

With all due respect Ling, why are you so hung up about stuff that isn't any of your business? I hope you wouldn't spill the beans if someone was asking you similar questions about your clientele or modus operandi - why would you expect anyone else to? And you have heard independently from people about the way they were contacted - do you not believe them?

Why would anyone want to share their personal info, with you or anyone else? As far as I know absolutely no-one has been forced to come here, you included.

I may be misreading you, but you seem to be on a mission to cause trouble for an unknown reason. Would you care to tell us why?
My thoughts exactly smokie.
I had never heard of Ling, or her business before she posted on here this week.
I know nothing of her from the old forums and yet I find her 'style' particularly confrontational and vindictive.

What is it then Ling, why do you think you can ask for peoples personal emails to be forwarded to you?

You know as well as I do that there's no such thing as an 'anonymous' email, so I don't buy that one for a start!

Don't even think of asking for mine, I deleted it:)

Pat
 Google has finally found us at last - Vicar of Bray
I know who sent mIne :-)
Ling stop it please. Nothing to do with you. Some regulars from HJ's site have come here. Some of us might try to meet up soon in South Manchester. Anyone near the Tower of London Tue-Thur next week then let me know. I'll buy a beer.

Ling members knew each other before so word spread. Leave it at that can't you. Just tell Peter it was not you and you're not behind the site.

Last edited by: smokie on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 19:31
 Google has finally found us at last - Bellboy
well after reading this im more confused than ever
It's seemIngly run by Dr Khoo ( of Khoosys ) the prevIous forum provIder to the HJ sIte. If he got booted off the prevIous sIte In favour of wIndows servers ... Well, I would wouldn,t you?

It seems as though the mod group Is here too.

Good luck and fortune to them all

Posted from phone
Last edited by: Kharon on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 20:03
 Google has finally found us at last - bathtub tom
>>Anyone near the Tower of London Tue-Thur next week then let me know. I'll buy a beer.

Expenses, or spending the retirement gratuity?
drop me an email welshy - I might be around the smoke.
 Google has finally found us at last - BobbyG
I don't know , the week I head past Hadrians wall to near Manchester, Welshy beats a hasty exit to London... :)

Will be back in Manchester towards the end of April for an overnight though....
I will be in berwick on tweed in July
BobbyG I'll see you then end of April unless I come near you first.
Well, in the old saying "if there is nothing to be afraid of, why is there any need to be worried about it?"

Look, I have not published what some people have sent me from anonymous email services (quite some different opinions, not just one email).

I am simply asking if anyone has further info, as I have been asked to link my customers/visitors to this website (by a significant figure here) and direct traffic to it. Which is great. But I just want to reassure myself there have been no data protection issues - several quite independent people have asserted there may have been, to me - BEFORE I recommend my customers/visitors here.

++++

(This para relates to HJ forum) There is a suggestion that upon registration, the password may be visible to moderators/webmasters in plain text (and may have been stored and kept by them), and has been used to post in people's names in the other place (ie HJ) when retribution or humiliation was felt to be a suitable "punishment". This has happened to me, I believe (post now hidden). I have been a victim. I do have some evidence for it, including transcripts that look real, discussed openly in a hidden mod thread on the other place. So, some mods (at the other place) must be aware this has happened. As some of the mods here seem to be the same people, there really should be some recognition of this??? Or is it all fantasy? I believe users should know. I am not accusing any individual, or suggesting the mods here are at all involved, but would like to know if this culture exists? Forum should not be run with punishment squads. It does not "belong" to any mods or a cabal.

++++

Of course I'm not the internet police (even though I am Chinese and they are good at internet policing), but... I do hate anything that smacks of DP issues. I shut down a Merseyside scouser email company 6 months ago, operated by Connect Internet (the company who runs the Serious Fraud Office intranet, God help us, safe to name them as all 100% true) as they allowed access to any website the people visited from a link in an email. They passed full session info (for instance - to me). So, as I showed in pictures, I could access a customer's whole email account. In that case I was called a "hacker" by Connect, but was completely vindicated by a) the police, (I raised the issue to the Merseyside police) who in fact pointed out the service should be closed and that I was good for exposing it, and b) Mel Croucher, respected journalist at Computer Shopper was copied in at all times, and backed me up 100% in print (as I choose to work with him on several different issues). Story here: www.lingscars.com/merseymail.php with screenshots, statements and (shock) pictures.

My own opinion is to be completely open with this stuff. So let's allow people to say if they suspect there has been any foul play. To suppress that would be wrong. No one is being accused, no one is trying to ruin the forum, no one is saying anyone has done anything wrong.

...unless you know otherwise?

I'm not being holier than thou, just that I have been given info (that I very largely withhold) from several sources that may be simply troublemaking stuff, or may turn out to have some truth. Who knows?

All the discussion and reasoning in this thread seems fine, chill :) I'm not calling anyone any names.

Ling
Last edited by: LINGsCARS on Sun 28 Feb 10 at 13:39
Ling

I got an email from a member (non mod) of the old site. We had each others email addy from over a year ago. I have passed on the details of this site to another member of the old site - again we had each others email address from some time back.

Now to be frank - this is not hostile and I know you can take it in the spirit intended.

Would I give you their names and copy you the emails? No - its none of your business. You are not the internet police, or any other kind of investigative force nor do you have any business poking around the birth of this site.

You are a member of the site - thats good - if you dont like its birth rites or roots, then leave - that would be sad but hey ho. Some-one has asked you to provide a link to this site, - If you want to thats good, if you dont? again hey ho.

In other words, accept the stuff here at face value and enjoy, or disapear back to Ling world (said with a cheeky grin and a smiley)

Mind I would miss you if you did.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 20:33
"Mind I would miss you if you did."

So would I - don`t even think of it. ;-)

You have to think of lots of round pegs bashing up and down in round holes..

Any oval, square peg (meaning `new`)tries to enter one of the holes and there`s a great thrashing with wood shavings flying all over and the non round peg clears off and never comes back.

The wooden tops - sorry, round pegs, then settle into their regular up and down motion trying to nut each other as the opportunity presents.

Now if that non round peg doesn`t get seen off ... my word..

It used to be a great programme on TV -did you ever see it?

;-)
Last edited by: Kharon on Fri 26 Feb 10 at 20:52
I just returned to this thread and the screen on my Eee Pc flickered in stripes and shut the notebook down. It`s never happened before and if someone is having a go at what is light hearted humour, I don`t think it`s very funny.
Seriously? Our laptop has done just the same earlier... never seen anything like it so I took a photo.
Interesting! Very interesting. Was it only this site you were looking at?

Can someone email me a photo? welshy_mod@car4play.com.

I have yet to see it as I use Safari at home on a Mac but do have IE on Windows. So what version of Windows and web browser?
This site was one of two or three on the taskbar inc BBC IPlayer. Daughter bought me the laptop and said look what it's doing. Took two forced on/off button reboots to come back OK.

Probably a coincidence but odd.

I'll send you the pic in a moment.
Oh forgot to say Windows Vista and IE7.
Nawt on Firefox/MacBook
Thanks. Theres a few occasional Flash ad via Google but most are pretty low resources on here. Can you check eventvwr.
I was using the Eee Pc - Firefox browser - Linux.

This is ultra stable and has never crashed in the year that i`ve had it. It happened immediately on opening this thread - returning after posting the last humour rubbish.
I only had this site open - it`s no big deal to me personally.
Kharon that is interesting. I got sent a picture of the other machines (running Windows Vista) and I cannot see how the same problem could effect totally different laptops running totally different operating systems. Let us know if it happens again.
 Google has finally found us at last - Iffy
...There are no "about us" or "contact us" pages...

Fair point, it might put off some prospective new members from joining.

And those of us who are already here have no one to contact with queries, such as why posts are deleted.

Not that that would ever happen to a post of mine, of course.

I imagine the 'about us' and 'contact' pages will appear in due course.

Moderators are on moderators@car4play.com mailing list.

And I hid your inappropriate post ifithelps. It was in bad taste.
Last edited by: welshy on Sat 27 Feb 10 at 10:01
of course not iffy - but it's light touch moderating but with boundaries all the same. There's no mystery really, the site is very new and there are bits of wall unpainted, everything will be revealed by the Webmaster - a good motto for the site at the moment is "you're amongst friends now" What film was that said in ??
 Google has finally found us at last - Iffy
...It was in bad taste...

In your judgment only.

Far better to let the poster - in this case me - suffer the censure of other members than the arbitrary censorship of one person.

That way the community is self-policing, which is far more effective, and less work for your good selves.

Be careful what you wish for ;-)

As always Iffy if you want to discuss moderation please do it by e-mail.

>> That way the community is self-policing which is far more effective and less work for
>> your good selves.

Absolutely correct. We will introduce "the cleaner" once we get some time. ;-)
 Google has finally found us at last - bathtub tom
>>everything will be revealed by the Webmaster

OO! When?

I'm sure I'm not the only one itching to know.

ps. Can't find that phrase, was it one of the Alien films, perhaps?

>> I imagine the 'about us' and 'contact' pages will appear in due course.

Yes. It's just been a bit quick. Will write a note in the top of Introduce yourself later today.
Latest Forum Posts