Non-motoring > Bio Metric Passport Question.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 8

Bio Metric Passport Question.... - R.P.
My new passport arrived today - near the back pages was a yellow little label with the words "Please Remove This Label" printed on it - being an obedient sort of chap I did what it told..bit stiffer than paper I was curious and looked at the self adhesive side of it. There is clearly a an electrical circuit printed on it. Just a single track with a + value alongside one end. - I assume it's a RFID sort of thing...anyone know its function. It's now stuck on my dog.
 Bio Metric Passport Question.... - VxFan
Acording to a google search,

The label is used for quality assurance purposes and allows it to pinpoint where a passport is during the automated production processes. You can peel it off and dispose of it in your household waste.
 Bio Metric Passport Question.... - Old Navy
Only a guess, could it be for tracking through the printing, binding, recording details and dispatch process?
 Bio Metric Passport Question.... - Meldrew
I am waiting for my new one too RP, we shall have to compare notes! I think what you have removed is an RFID tracking chip, re the rest of the electronics Wiki says

"A biometric passport, also known as an e-passport, ePassport or a digital passport, is a combined paper and electronic passport that contains biometric information that can be used to authenticate the identity of travellers. It uses contactless smart card technology, including a microprocessor chip (computer chip) and antenna (for both power to the chip and communication) embedded in the front or back cover, or center page, of the passport. Document and chip characteristics are documented in the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) Doc 9303.[1][2][3] The passport's critical information is both printed on the data page of the passport and stored in the chip. Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) is used to authenticate the data stored electronically in the passport chip making it expensive and difficult to forge when all security mechanisms are fully and correctly implemented.

The currently standardized biometrics used for this type of identification system are facial recognition, fingerprint recognition, and iris recognition. These were adopted after assessment of several different kinds of biometrics including retinal scan. The ICAO defines the biometric file formats and communication protocols to be used in passports. Only the digital image (usually in JPEG or JPEG2000 format) of each biometric feature is actually stored in the chip. The comparison of biometric features is performed outside the passport chip by electronic border control systems (e-borders). To store biometric data on the contactless chip, it includes a minimum of 32 kilobytes of EEPROM storage memory, and runs on an interface in accordance with the ISO/IEC 14443 international standard, amongst others. These standards intend interoperability between different countries and different manufacturers of passport books.
 Bio Metric Passport Question.... - rtj70
If you have a smartphone with NFC you could try reading the RFID tag. You can also access the passport info too I believe with the right application.
 Bio Metric Passport Question.... - Cliff Pope
and of course you can now track your dog.
 Bio Metric Passport Question.... - Zero
>> and of course you can now track your dog.

its faster to get your dog through immigration....
 Bio Metric Passport Question.... - Runfer D'Hills
Came back into Heathrow from America a couple of days ago with a colleague. I've got an old style passport with a couple of years to run and he has a new electrickerry one. Huge queue at the plebs passport desks and only a small one at the fancy passport line but for some inexplicable reason I got through first.

PS - for the first time ever, the immigration staff at JFK were reasonably polite. I had to wonder if they've been on a course or something. They even used recognisable words rather than surly grunts which was strangely unnerving.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Wed 12 Jun 13 at 13:20
 Bio Metric Passport Question.... - Fursty Ferret

>> PS - for the first time ever, the immigration staff at JFK were reasonably polite.
>> I had to wonder if they've been on a course or something. They even used
>> recognisable words rather than surly grunts which was strangely unnerving.
>>

Interesting. I thought exactly the same thing when I was there six weeks ago.
Latest Forum Posts