Motoring Discussion > Best car you've seen traded in under scrappage
Thread Author: Hugo Replies: 11

Best car you've seen traded in under scrappage - Hugo
FiL was toying with the idea of scrapping his low mileage X reg Picasso in under the scheme. I mentioned to him that if he was seriously thinking of doing that, let me buy the car with his money and trade my old discovery in, then I would transfer the car to him, and we could sell his picasso privately. The only issue is that he would show up as the 2nd owner, not the first.

That way he would have still made a saving and I could have got a very good price for the Disco.

I really think that the scheme could have been better concieved to favour cars that really needed to be scrapped - I would have teared it, the older the car the more money it was worth.

Another idea would be to allow cars that would pass an MOT to be 'bought back' out of the scrappage scheme by the trade so they could be sold on. This would have put money back into the scheme to be used for more cars that really needed to go. This idea would be largely self selecting in that market forces would determine which cars would be bought back, and leave the real rubbish where it belongs.

That way, that tidy little Nissan Almera that I saw could have been put back into use. It's new owner wouldn't have been able to scrap it under the scheme as they wouldn't have had it long enough. Whereas a vehicle, like my old disco would have been unlikely to have been bought back and would have gone for spares.
 Messages Author Date
 Best car you've seen traded in under scrap.. new Hugo 27 Feb 10 22:26
 Best car you've seen traded in under scra.. new Bellboy 27 Feb 10 22:32
 Best car you've seen traded in under scr.. new Zero 27 Feb 10 22:35
 Best car you've seen traded in under sc.. new R.P. 27 Feb 10 22:39
 Best car you've seen traded in under s.. new Runfer D'Hills 27 Feb 10 22:46
 Best car you've seen traded in under.. new R.P. 27 Feb 10 22:48
 Best car you've seen traded in u.. new Hugo 27 Feb 10 23:14
 Best car you've seen traded in und.. new tyro 27 Feb 10 23:28
 Best car you've seen traded in under scr.. new Bagpuss 28 Feb 10 01:05
 Best car you've seen traded in under sc.. new - 28 Feb 10 06:12
 Best car you've seen traded in under s.. new Dave_ 28 Feb 10 15:29