Motoring Discussion > Volvo V70 - New Car report
Thread Author: Slightlyfatdirector Replies: 24

Volvo V70 - New Car report - Slightlyfatdirector
Well, at last my new V70 arrived last week. 4 1/2 months from date of order, and a few weeks earlier than scheduled.

I was originally quite dismissive of the V70, looking for something a little more stylish or possibly 4WD, and certainly more modern, but considering the use for this as a mile-munching company car for the next 6+ years, I ended up reluctantly considering it. After a test-drive I was impressed enough, and as you will see, at the discount I got it was a no-brainer.

The omens were not good when I went to collect it as it was a wet dreary miserable day, after a run of hot summer days before and after, but it seems I had little to worry about.

It has the new D4 engine - something that will be the standard for all new Volvo's in due course for all markets - being a 2.0 diesel with twin turbo's and 181hp. Alongside a 2.0 petrol this will eventually be the only engine platform for all Volvo's with either turbo/s and superchargers, and also potentially electric motors and will replace all the other engines they make.

I am gently running it in, but it seems smooth and powerful with a bit of character to it, although it does not have that lovely 'thrum' of the 5 cylinder that used to be in my old S60.

The V70 looks like a relatively small car when seen on the road, but it is actually about 6" wider than the BMW 520d Touring it has replaced, so I am glad to have front and rear parking sensors! It is quite a bit taller too.

I got it from the local Volvo dealer after they matched the 27.5% discount offered by DrivetheDeal (over a £10k discount). It is the SE Lux spec with the new 8-speed Geartronic auto 'box and I added 'Premium sound', front parking sensors, 'flappy paddles' and a proper spare wheel instead of a compressor kit, and the Winter pack (heated seats and windscreen).

It must be said that I am pleasantly surprised with the car as a whole. I wanted to avoid BMW after a bad experience with the last one I had, Merc's don't do it for me, nor do Audi's and there was nothing that jumped out at me as a suitable alternative.

It drives very nicely, has good and pliant suspension, but you can 'feel' what the car is doing. It has a big boot which is completely flat when the seats are folded, and that operation is a piece of cake. Had a flat-pack wardrobe in it on the first day with no problems.

It has an automatic / electric tailgate too which is handy. My daughter has yet to 'bed-in' the rear seats, and says they are a bit uncomfortable, but being a teenager she doesn't sit properly anyway........

Driver's seat is really comfortable and supportive.

Gearbox is smooth, seamless and seems to always be in the right gear, although moving of briskly from a standing start (out of a side-road, or at a roundabout for example) is not as sharp as it would be in a manual.

Economy-wise for the first 700 or so miles we are at about 45mpg which for an auto seems OK. I have not got the calculator out to check it's accuracy, but will do so at the next fill.

The whole electric 'system' (Sensus connect) scares the whatsits out of me, but I am slowly getting used to all it does. The TFT screen instead of dials is a revelation, with changeable screens to change the look and what is displayed - certainly has a 'wow-factor'.

I now have internet access in the car too tethered to my mobile which may be helpful one-day...

Annoyances? A few. There is nothing to stick the fuel cap onto whilst re-fuelling, so it just dangles there being blown around. The Harman Kardon sound system - whilst good - does not feel that all 650w of power is there and the rear parking sensors go from "you are a long way away from that wall" to "stop!!!!" with little warning. It is very wide so judging it's width is taking a little longer than expected, and picking the correct parking space takes a little more thought. I can't get my phone's 'contact's directory accessible at the moment, but that might be something a nice person at Volvo can do for me.

Turning circle is fine, road and wind noise on the motorway is very low - better than the BM, and overall I am very pleased.

Whilst this car is expected to be replaced with the V90 in 2016, this remains a thoroughly decent alternative to the 'usual suspects'. I have always liked to be a little different to everyone else, and this therefore suits me well.

Whilst the discounts are so hefty (only on the SE Nav and SE Lux spec's for some reason) it makes this a luxury car at mainstream pricing. Certainly it was a lot cheaper than a similarly specc'ed Superb for example. The kit-level is very impressive for the money too.

No doubt the next few thousand miles will throw up other observations, but in the meantime I am a happy bunny, and would certainly suggest that others at least consider it when looking to replace their current vehicle. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Messages Author Date
 Volvo V70 - New Car report new Slightlyfatdirector 29 Jul 14 15:11
 Volvo V70 - New Car report new WillDeBeest 29 Jul 14 20:01
 Volvo V70 - New Car report new idle_chatterer 31 Jul 14 05:18
 Volvo V70 - New Car report new NortonES2 31 Jul 14 10:18
 Volvo V70 - New Car report new Boxsterboy 31 Jul 14 14:50
 Volvo V70 - New Car report new Slightlyfatdirector 31 Jul 14 17:10
 Volvo V70 - New Car report new Avant 31 Jul 14 23:24
 Volvo V70 - New Car report new .... 1 Aug 14 08:01
 Volvo V70 - New Car report new WillDeBeest 1 Aug 14 09:18
 Volvo V70 - New Car report new .... 1 Aug 14 11:17
 Volvo V70 - New Car report new Slightlyfatdirector 3 Aug 14 14:25