Motoring Discussion > Fuel consumption with bike carrier attached Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 9

Fuel consumption with bike carrier attached - BobbyG
Well after long deliberation we decided to bring the 4 bikes on holiday as, even though it would reduce fuel consumption, it would still be cheaper than hiring bikes at Center Parcs. So 4 bikes on the roofbars of my Seat Altea XL. Usual fuel consumption for a journey like this without bikes is 40-42mpg.

First leg was from Lanarkshire to Harrogate. Due to the missus taking so long to pack my bag, we were a bit late in leaving so had to make decent progress, had cruise control set at 72mph GPS speed and I was shocked to discover the average consumption when I arrived in Harrogate had been ....... 27.1mpg. OK, it was also quite windy but ouch!

Second leg from Harrogate to Center Parcs was more relaxed, no rush so didn't go above 60mph, plus buser roads meant I managed to get 38.7mpg for that leg of the journey.

Have been to Center Parcs several times and have enjoyed the relaxed secure atmosphere. Was a bit offputting receiving notices re boike thefts, make sure they are chained up or even better, put in your chalet at night and also don't leave bike racks on the rear or roof of your car! I know that in one of the other CP sites recently there had been a huge bike theft problem but not this one in Sherwood Forest.

Next leg of journey on Friday is a relaxed drive down to Bishops Stortford and then over to Newquay on Sunday - expect that to be another 26mpg job!

And by the way, for anyone coming to this CP, there is now a big Tesco built a coupl eof miles away that you can fill up with food and drink before arriving! You don't want to be paying the prices they charge inside the park!
 Messages Author Date
 Fuel consumption with bike carrier atta.. new BobbyG 29 Jun 10 22:16
 Fuel consumption with bike carrier attach.. new Bromptonaut 29 Jun 10 22:30
 Fuel consumption with bike carrier attac.. new idle_chatterer 29 Jun 10 22:49
 Fuel consumption with bike carrier attach.. new FotheringtonTomas 29 Jun 10 22:40
 Fuel consumption with bike carrier attac.. new Zero 29 Jun 10 22:53
 Fuel consumption with bike carrier atta.. new idle_chatterer 29 Jun 10 23:01
 Fuel consumption with bike carrier atta.. new FotheringtonTomas 29 Jun 10 23:01
 Fuel consumption with bike carrier att.. new Bromptonaut 29 Jun 10 23:10
 Fuel consumption with bike carrier a.. new Westpig 30 Jun 10 18:55
 Fuel consumption with bike carrier .. new Fenlander 30 Jun 10 23:05
Latest Forum Posts