Non-motoring > Boiler insulating Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 14

Boiler insulating - BobbyG
Friend has a Valiant combi boiler in his loft. It is controlled by an Altech ALTHC014 remote controller.

Everything works ok with the controller switching boiler on and off etc. However, the boiler has taken to firing up during the night randomly and turning the heating on full bung so that the radiators are roasting. When this happens, mate has checked the remote controller and the boiler on image is not showing on that.

Called out an engineer who suggested that it was probably the frost protection kicking in and as the pipes round the boiler weren't lagged, and the boiler itself was not insulated in any way then he suggested putting lagging on the pipes and insulating the boiler.

Mate has now done the pipes and asked my help to try and build a frame round the boiler to insulate it.

Is this wise? I assume it needs some sort of airflow around it or is all the air intakes etc protected?

My idea is to build some sort of wooden frame around it with insulation of some sort attached.

a) is it ok to do this and
b) so you think this may solve the problem or is the engineer sending him on a wild goose chase?

I can understand about frost protection and if this is kicking in less than 5 degrees then it may well get that cold up in the uninsulated part of the loft. However why would this in turn turn all the radiators in the house on full bung?
 Messages Author Date
 Boiler insulating new BobbyG 29 Mar 15 18:38
 Boiler insulating new Zero 29 Mar 15 18:51
 Boiler insulating new BobbyG 29 Mar 15 19:16
 Boiler insulating new Fullchat 29 Mar 15 19:20
 Boiler insulating new Old Navy 29 Mar 15 19:29
 Boiler insulating new Old Navy 29 Mar 15 20:05
 Boiler insulating new BobbyG 29 Mar 15 20:24
 Boiler insulating new Old Navy 29 Mar 15 20:34
 Boiler insulating new legacylad 29 Mar 15 23:40
 Boiler insulating new madf 30 Mar 15 13:13
 Boiler insulating new Dutchie 1 Apr 15 23:45