Technical Car/Motor Issues > Mitsubishi Outlander II - 14 2.2D Turbo whistle - normal? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 4

Mitsubishi Outlander II - 14 2.2D Turbo whistle - normal? - Auntie Lockbrakes
SWMBO's new 2015 Outlander diesel has now covered almost 3000 miles in nearly 4 months. Driving it when cold, and at low/town speeds, I can distinctly hear the whistle and whine of the turbo. Is this usual? Or maybe an early warning sign of a dodgy turbo?

On open road at operating temperature, can't hear the noise..!
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - 14 2.2D Turbo whistle - normal? - Haywain
I've owned my Astra (1.3) diesel estate from 43k miles and it's now approaching 100k. As long as I've known it, the turbo has whistled when I put my foot down - I take it as a sign that the turbo is still alive!

Mitsubishi Outlander II - 14 2.2D Turbo whistle - normal? - Zero
Most of the TDs I have used, you can hear the turbo under certain conditions.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - 14 2.2D Turbo whistle - normal? - Manatee
Is it the 2268cc 4N14 Mitsubishi engine?

That is what my 2011 has, rated at 130kW/177PS, 380Nm. The current UK model (since 2012/13) has a lower rated output of 110kW, 360Nm but is the same engine. Whether it uses the same variable geometry turbo I don't know.

My Outlander doesn't whistle, to my ear. My Honda 2.2 CTDI engine always did, but was still running perfectly at nearly 100,000 so I don't think a whistle is terminal per se.

For the 2011 model year the manuals used the 4N14, but the automatics still used the PSA engine.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - 14 2.2D Turbo whistle - normal? - Manatee
Guess what, my 2016 MY Outlander automatic has a whistling turbo at only 570 miles. In fact, it whistled when I drove it away from the dealer's with 8 miles on the clock.

It seems to diminish when warm. I expect it's normal. It's actually very similar to the whine that my CRV had.
Latest Forum Posts