Technical Car/Motor Issues > Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car Miscellaneous
Thread Author: pug3 Replies: 20

Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - pug3
I have ordered my first automatic, a Mazda CX3.

The gearbox has a torque converter and a multi-plate clutch. If I am stationary in traffic for several minutes, is it ok to use the brakes to stop "creep" or should I select neutral to reduce wear on the clutch plates?
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - John Boy
I asked a similar question on HJ some time ago. It got 25 responses.

I incautiously added the statement "I know some people get annoyed by brake lights in front of them in this scenario, but I don't, so I'm not interested in a discussion on that aspect."

Without that, there may have been fewer responses, but, on here, who knows?
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - No FM2R
Taking it out of drive is for going backwards or getting out of the car the rest of the time I hold it on the brake.

The car i drive most of the time has done 70,000iles or thereabouts with no gearbox issues. And I've never worn a box out on any previous car.
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - NortonES2
I don't understand the presence of a multi-plate clutch? Clutch bands I know exist in a torque-converter tranny. But how does a multiplate fit in? Btw, looks an interesting car.
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - Runfer D'Hills
If it is a true torque converter box, holding on the brake will be fine. In my Merc it even has a "hold" function which is set by pressing hard on the footbrake and then releasing it while in gear. Car won't move, roll back or creep forward until you touch a pedal but is still in gear. I think DSG type boxes dislike being held in gear.
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - Dave_
>> I think DSG type boxes dislike being held in gear

My other half's new Captur has a twin clutch EDC DSG type box with artificial creep. She's not a car person, so I haven't even brought this topic up. Will let you know in 5 years if it's an issue.
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - John Boy
Description of the gearbox:

tinyurl.com/3kcb9cz
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - NortonES2
Aaah, the TQ lock up time increased. Clever. Thanks JB.
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - mikeyb
>> >> I think DSG type boxes dislike being held in gear
>>
>> My other half's new Captur has a twin clutch EDC DSG type box with artificial
>> creep. She's not a car person, so I haven't even brought this topic up. Will
>> let you know in 5 years if it's an issue.
>>

If its the same box that my mate had in his Megane CC then we wont need to wait 5 years........
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - Manatee
It will be OK to hold stationary with the brake while in gear would be my assumption.

The inclusion of the fluid torque converter (if that is what it is) should also mean that it is OK to use the 'creep' or accelerator to hold the car - unlike the DSG, for which the handbook advises against holding the car this way, to prevent overheating the clutch pack.

I like automatics for towing, but I do not regard DCTs/DSGs as having all the virtues of a proper auto - there must be many people whose habitual way of using an auto, acquired over years with a torque-converter-equipped gearbox, would damage or shorten the life of a DSG clutch pack. DSGs are also a pain to manoeuvre in a tight space, whatever anybody says.

I like the sound of the Mazda.
Thanks for all your comments.

I have driven cars with auto boxes in the USA and always left the selector in "D" and just held it on the foot brake. During my test drive in the Mazda I adopted the same approach. As the link provided by John Boy shows, the box in the Mazda is more of a hybrid.

I have found the owners manual on the Mazda site, but it does not cover the matter regarding being stationary while in drive. As mentioned by Runfer D'Hills, the car does have a "hill hold facility" when the foot brake is applied.

The "Quick start guide" shows that the selector can be freely moved between D & N, whereas to move from P to D requires the foot brake to be applied and the lock-release button to be held in.

I was thinking of trying to drive the car similar to a manual, so when I expect to be stationary for some time, with the foot brake on, I engage the hand brake and select N. When I want to move off, select D and release the handbrake.
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - Haywain
I've always thought that 'automatics' were supposed to make life a bit simpler. After reading this thread, I think I'm inclined to stick with a 'manual'.
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - Alanovich
Hand brake on, gear lever to neutral. Whether I'm in an auto or a manual. That way I know nothing's wearing, and nobody is being blinded, and I'm not going to start moving accidentally.

Just what I do. I'm sure there isn't a 100% right or wrong answer but my method sounds like best practice to me.
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - VxFan
>> Hand brake on, gear lever to neutral.
>> That way I know nothing's wearing

Handbrake cable and linkages wear. So do gear lever linkages ;)
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - movilogo
Standing in traffic => neutral + handbrake (if on slope etc.)

This applies to all cars (manual + auto) - so you don't need to remember doing specific actions on specific cars.

>> Standing in traffic

I'd rather sit. Not enough room in my car to stand up.
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - movilogo
Meant the car, not occupants :o)

Learnt English as foreign language - so still make some odd mistakes.
Last edited by: movilogo on Wed 9 Mar 16 at 12:57
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - Dave_
"Standing" in traffic is perfectly correct movi, it's just a little more old-fashioned or formal than "sitting" in that context. The English language is always evolving!
 Mazda - 16 2.0 Driving an automatic car - Shiny
Being a new car, won't it have stop-start anyway?
>> Being a new car, won't it have stop-start anyway?

Not necessarily. I don't think all new cars have SS yet.
You are correct. However I prefer to to disable the function, when I start the engine.
Latest Forum Posts