Motoring Discussion > Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 24
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 114

Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 24 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 25 *****

==============================================================

Top Gear chat.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 23 is HERE:-
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 23 Oct 18 at 01:52
 Top Gear episode 4 - movilogo
Don't know why people are complaining about. I enjoyed last night's show (on iPlayer).

Usually I always skip the stars in reasonably priced car bits but yesterday I watched that part too.

One thing I like about new presenters is that they are presenting in such a manner that it feels that as an ordinary person, I can also do the same things what they are doing.

The stunts made by Clarkson and company was somewhat from another planet.

I understand may be that's why the rating for new show is falling because many people prefer to watch fantasy instead.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Jun 16 at 12:46
 Top Gear episode 4 - rtj70
Again the weakest presenter is Chris Evans. I'm starting to think LeBlanc should have been the main presenter - I suppose he's co-presenter. But why not ditch Chris altogether.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 20 Jun 16 at 12:46
 Top Gear episode 4 - Ian (Cape Town)
I'll have a watch later.
I notice 'extra' isn't available online yet (says Long John Silver).
As mentioned previously, Harris deserves more airtime.
Just Reading on the Daily Wail that they was the worst viewing figures everlast night.
As much as the ginger tries to spin it, the negativity is pretty bad.
 Top Gear episode 4 - No FM2R
The current series is all already made, isn't it? So they cannot do much at this stage anyway.

Top Gear episode 4 - commerdriver
>> The current series is all already made, isn't it? So they cannot do much at
>> this stage anyway.
>>
Absolutely, and the figures were bound to be negative following the old gang, even though they were looking a bit dated. The real test will be on the next series and the interesting bit will be what changes are made for New Top Gear release 2.0.
Hopefully more scope for Chris Harris and less stupidity in the stunts.
>>The real test will be on the next series and the interesting bit will be what changes are made for New Top Gear release 2.0

And presumably that will also be post the other lot's first series launch.
The stuff is all in the can, except for the Shouty studio bits, which are done a few days before broadcast.
 Top Gear episode 4 - Runfer D'Hills
Of course the pre-recorded road trips etc will have long been made, but I think the studio elements are, or were anyway as a rule shot the Wednesday prior to the Sunday screenings.

Well, I'm enjoying the series. I'd have preferred the "old" team too, but it's still better than not having a motoring based programme at all to watch on a Sunday night.

That Aston Martin was a bit fruity eh?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 20 Jun 16 at 13:25
>>Well, I'm enjoying the series

I only watched the first one. The shouty ginger bloke is too much for me. (Not you Al).
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 20 Jun 16 at 13:27
That's what the Fast Forward button is for, fellah!
 Top Gear episode 4 - VxFan
>> Well, I'm enjoying the series.

I have to admit it's getting better.
If you look back at the early series of TG, it took a while for the team to bond and get some chemistry between them.

Let's not forget before James May there was a bloke called Jason Dawe. He only lasted the first series of the revamped show before being replaced by JM.
>there was a bloke called Jason Dawe

I vaguely recall that something more than a simple replacement occurred there. Was there some incident or something?
 Top Gear episode 4 - Runfer D'Hills
Yeah, I think he leaned on the bonnet of a car and the airbags went off...

;-)
Ok, From "And on that bombshell" (Richard porter, 2015)... Giving the chapter and verse to get round copyright laws....

The first series also featured a regular studio item in which Jason would run through some car-buying bargains he’d spotted that week and Richard would stand next to him, doing his level best to sound enthusiastic. We called it Used News, though it generally seemed to revolve around getting a few quid off a pre-registered Renault. Like the actual news, it gave us the chance to include some current information but it wasn’t the most exciting item in the world, hence it became known in the office as Used Snooze. No matter where it came in the running order, we used to record it at the very end, at which point 12 of the 14 people in the audience would realise they had no interest in learning that they could get a non-metallic Megane for £9,995 and decide to leave. The entire production team would assemble on the studio floor to stop the place looking deserted while Andy Wilman blocked the exits and begged members of the public to stick around so that poor Jason wasn’t slowly intoning his cheap Renault rundown to an empty room. During one recording I looked across at the hangar door to see Wilman fumbling for his wallet and offering people actual cash to stay. This item soldiered on into the second series and then was quietly killed off.

Unbeknownst to most of us, management weren’t quite as happy. Yes, the show had turned out reasonably well but they felt that the presenting team wasn’t working out. The timing was spectacularly cack-handed. Richard got a call to say that he might not be on the team next time round but that the bosses would let him know in the new year and, oh yea, have a merry Christmas. Jason also felt the cold steel of a BBC service revolver on the back of his neck. When management regrouped in early 2003, Hammond was given a stay of execution but poor Jason wasn’t so lucky.
 Top Gear episode 4 - movilogo
Why does the rating matter?

BBC is not funded by ads so in theory low rating won't cause lack of funding.

Is rating based on live viewers or live + catch up viewers?

Top Gear episode 4 - rtj70
For the BBC, it's how well it sells overseas and therefore makes money for the corporation that will matter more.
 Top Gear episode 4 - Duncan
>> >there was a bloke called Jason Dawe

I recall the body language between him and Clarkson was pretty negative.
 Top Gear episode 4 - RattleandSmoke
Been anyway, tried to catch up by watching the second episode, watched 10 minutes of it and gave up.
 Top Gear episode 4 - Boxsterboy
I enjoyed last night's show - better than the first one - and all the better for including Sabine, Chris Harris and Eddie Jordan.
 Top Gear episode 4 - sooty123
I quite liked the show i thought it decent though rather than it spectacular. While the talk is of new faces I'd get rid of sabine i think she is so wooden she could be a useful replacement for my front door.
 Top Gear episode 4 - VxFan
It was a pleasant change to see the cars (and bike) they bought for the challenge end up unscathed. No bashing into one another, no thrashing the living daylights out of them, etc. So perhaps they're not copying the previous series entirely.

I suspect they'll leave the car wrecking to the boys on The Grand Tour.
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 23 - mikeyb
Apparently LeBlanc has said he will walk if Evans isnt sacked

tinyurl.com/hodgtgw - links to telegraph
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 23 - R.P.
Good for him. Guy Martin has just finished his stealth challenge in the US - back in time to save the programme.
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 23 - R.P.
Just watching it now - FFing through the crap bits (mainly Chris Evans). Matt Le Blanc is ideal. Not seen Chris Harris before. I see him a co-presenter....btw checking out M2 prices..
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 23 - Ian (Cape Town)
In the main, I think the BBC continued with TG as a contractual-obligation to the many broadcasters and commercial enterprises they had deals with.
I am warming to Le Blanc, and have always liked Harris.
For them to continue on TV in a motoring show would be good, but the TG format is becoming jaded now, so maybe the Beeb should look at another vehicle for them?
And the shouty one should stay as a shouty DJ, and continue TGIF and other made-for-lads shows, NOT be on a flaghsip like TG
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 23 - RattleandSmoke
Tried again but I just can't get into it, but then I always found the supercar stuff on the old show boring. I now realise the only reason I watched Top Gear was because it was a modern day version of Last of the Summer Wine. Three old men larking about, if Hammond is only about 13 years older than me! I will just stick to watching endless repeats of Wheeler Dealers.
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 23 - Duncan
>> I will just stick to watching endless repeats of Wheeler Dealers.
>>

The trouble with Wheeler Dealers is that the more I watch it, the more ways I can think of to kill Mike 'old out yer 'and Brewer.

Chasing Classic Cars can be irritating, but is quite watchable.
I tend to agree with everything here.

tinyurl.com/jtrvsjq
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 23 - Slidingpillar
The thing that is really missing is there is no chemistry between presenters. There are only two regular ones, the shouty ginger one and Matt Leblanc.

The programme is just worth watching, but it can't hold a candle to the previous one.
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 23 - rtj70
The Ginger one has resigned :-)

I wonder if they will have Le Blanc as the main presenter with Chris Harris and a few others? I think it's time the programme changed.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 4 Jul 16 at 15:30
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 23 - No FM2R
>>The Ginger one has resigned :-)

Excellent. That t*** Farage and Evans in one day.
>> >>The Ginger one has resigned :-)
>>
>> Excellent. That t*** Farage and Evans in one day.
>>
AND Hodgson last week.
Our cup runneth over!
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 23 - VxFan
Saw this on Twitter via link on the BBC.

"Everyone's quitting at the moment"

Chris Evans - Ginger
David Cameron - Posh
Roy Hodgson - Sporty
Boris Johnson - Baby
Nigel Farage - Scary

Made me laugh anyway.
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 23 - smokie
... and now...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36712822

Lucy Alexander from Homes Under The Hammer (who he?)
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 24 - Oldgit
Top Gear!! I've already forgotten about this travesty of a copy of an original. I do however remember a noisy idiot in it.
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 24 - John Boy
>> Top Gear!! I've already forgotten about this travesty of a copy of an original.

But it's making money, apparently: tinyurl.com/hve3m5n
 Matt LeBlanc signs two-series deal - VxFan
US star Matt LeBlanc has signed a two-series deal with the BBC to continue hosting Top Gear.

LeBlanc will be joined by Chris Harris and Rory Reid with regular appearances from Eddie Jordan, Sabine Schmitz and The Stig.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37470962
 Matt LeBlanc signs two-series deal - Ian (Cape Town)
What does Eddie Jordan bring to the show, exactly?
 Matt LeBlanc signs two-series deal - VxFan
I think the buffoon side of things.

Sabine, whilst an excellent driver, her acting leaves a lot to be desired. Wooden doesn't even come close.
 Matt LeBlanc signs two-series deal - sooty123
Sabine, whilst an excellent driver, her acting leaves a lot to be desired. Wooden doesn't
>> even come close.

Same here, if she just stuck to driving and not talking she'd be fine. But she should have gone instead of chris evans!
 Top Gear. Series Two - VxFan
Good Evans!

Looks like they've turned it around from the last abismal series.

If the next 6 episodes are as good as tonight's, then it gets a huge thumbs up from me.

The boys are most definitely back, but wearing different faces.

Well done.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 5 Mar 17 at 21:08
 Top Gear. Series Two - zippy
Watching it now. Had to do the Call the Midwife with the Mrs. first!
 Top Gear. Series Two - mikeyb
Yep, enjoyed this weeks offering. If the rest are like tonight's then it will be a good series
 Top Gear. Series Two - rtj70
I think I can see where the last series failed and this one is good.

1. Chris Evans is brought on board - so mistake already made.
2. Matt LeBlanc brought on board as the other main presenter - he's good but no chemistry with Evans.
3. The others like Harris and Reid had to apply and got the job because they are good.
4. Reid and Harris are secondary to Evans and LeBlanc

If they had got LeBlanc and auditioned and got Reid and Harris last time it would have been better.

I wish them all the best. Tonight's episode was entertaining and the three of them worked. It was better than The Grand Tour by a mile or more.
 Top Gear. Series Two - R.P.
Harris is clearly a proper driver as well, and that makes a difference. I watched an enjoyed it. Was I the only one that thought that the cow skull nailed to the post in the quarry scene was a homage to Jeremy Clarkson ?
 Top Gear. Series Two - rtj70
>> Harris is clearly a proper driver as well, and that makes a difference.

He's a good motoring journalist - I like his work. His Youtube channel was/is good. Some of his contributions to the last series of Top Gear were the best bits. And yes he can drive.

I'd go as far to say that he could front Top Gear. But they want a celeb and he's a smaller cog in the system.

I didn't think the skull was a homage but I didn't overthink it. It was there for a reason though.

A much better programme than Clarkson's et al produced for Amazon IMO.
>>A much better programme than Clarkson's et al produced for Amazon IMO.

I like The Grand Tour but I think last nights Top Gear was superior. It was more rounded and certainly less stilted, which is odd considering how long the GT team have been working together.
Last edited by: zippy on Mon 6 Mar 17 at 09:07
 Top Gear. Series Two - Boxsterboy
Yes, me and the kids agreed that last night's Top Gear was better than Grand Tour, budget for budget.

Having the Toyota GT 86 as the Star's Car makes a lot of sense - an over-cooked rear wheel drive car will always give more dramatic footage than an under-powered fwd.

Chris Harris is great, and he can drive. Although perhaps not a Volvo V70 when behind a Berlin taxi ...
 Top Gear. Series Two - PR
I quite enjoyed it, far better than the last series with Chris Evans. I like that they tweaked the format so wasn't exactly the same program with 3 new presenters.

Still prefer the Grand Tour personally. They seemed to over emphasize the laughing at each other a little bit. Still, it takes time to build a bit of chemistry.
 Top Gear. Series Two - mikeyb
>> Still prefer the Grand Tour personally. They seemed to over emphasize the laughing at each
>> other a little bit. Still, it takes time to build a bit of chemistry.

Took Clarkson & co a few series before the chemistry started to shine through
 Top Gear. Series Two - Dog
Flop Gear?

www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4288234/Top-Gear-flop-two-million-viewers-abandon-BBC-show.html
 Top Gear. Series Two - movilogo
For me, the more affordable cars they feature in events, more enjoyable it becomes.

Enjoyed London taxi, Volvo & Mercedes thoroughly. Skipped forward £2m Ferrari part.

Top Gear. Series Two - Manatee
I really wanted to like it, but I couldn't. I was waiting for it to finish so I could get on with the washing up.

The caricatures portrayed by Clarkson and May were overworked, but at least they were something to react to. Without any decent material, a dire script and three nonentities there was really nothing to keep watching for. The FXX K could have been fascinating, but the piece was very light on what is genuinely interesting about the car and Harris's gushing detracted rather than added anything useful.

Harris's useless coaching of the celebrity is probably going to be a running joke. It's already worn out.

Removing Evans was an improvement, but nowhere near enough. It's as outdated as the Black and White Minstrel show. Or Crackerjack, to which the presentation style would be more suited.

The fact that TG & GT now think they have to compete with each other signals a race to the bottom with no risks being taken with any kind of innovation.

If they made a programme for me, perhaps even fewer people would watch it which might really be the point as far as the BBC is concerned.
 Top Gear. Series Two - Dog
Wasted 22 minutes of my not-so busy life watching that. I actually nodded orf half way through it. Preferred GT TBH.
 Top Gear. Series Two - movilogo
Where was the place where Alfa Romeo Guileta footage was shot?
No idea. I've even just had a quick Google.

That aside, 2nd episode in a row that I've enjoyed.

Keep it up guys and the old Last of The Summer Wine boys will soon be forgotten.
This week's episode (20/03/17) was very predictable.

Didn't stop it from being a hoot though.

We found out that Tamsin Greig can't drive - no surprise there! ;-)

I quite enjoy the expensive toys section and it really seemed that Matt and Tamsin enjoyed the spreader thingy ma bob.

>> Didn't stop it from being a hoot though.

Yep, I've enjoyed all 3 episodes so far. According to some newspapers it's back on track (no pun intended) since the Ginger shoutie bloke resigned.
 Top Gear. Series Two - Crankcase
You know when you're sitting in a pub round a table having a nice chat with your mates and some twit suddenly sits down and says "what are you talking about? Oh I hate that!" for no reason and then wanders off again.

Hello.

The latest TG popped up on my tv on Monday. I saw Tamsin get pretend cross. I saw everyone being as awkward as possible with each other. I saw puzzled silences. I saw an utterly feeble thing with a machine cutting up melons. I saw a Golf GTI being driven for no reason other than to say "I'm driving a Golf GTI. It's quick and I like it".

I gave up again.

Bye.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 22 Mar 17 at 09:20
 Top Gear. Series Two - Hard Cheese
I quite enjoyed TG this week though I do think that the format needs a refresh, and GT is much the same thing. Dump SIARPC and the road trips (who is really interested in seeing 30 year old cars being destroyed by being driven through the African bush or Andean mountain passes).

I like Matt LB and Chris H , more road tests, interesting cars being driven well and compared, like the CL63 and AM Bond themed feature, fun though relevant fun.

They should have explained more clearly that the new lightweight GTi Club Sport is called a GTi and not an R because it is front wheel drive like normal GTis rather than being AWD like the R.
>> Dump SIARPC

They have dumped it. The car is no longer reasonably priced.

It is a 200 BHP rear wheel drive Toyota GT86. And the rear wheels are quite skinny, fitted with tyres from a Toyota Prius.

Top Gear. Series Two - CGNorwich
Burnings, the Norfolk manufacturer of the muckspreader enjoyed the free advertising.

tinyurl.com/lt5dwsf - links to www.eveningnews24.co.uk/
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 22 Mar 17 at 12:57
 Top Gear. Series Two - Hard Cheese
>>
>> They have dumped it. The car is no longer reasonably priced.
>>

Subjectively I'll give you that though its the celeb on the track slot that is sooo boring, done to death, a useful time to make a coffee I guess.
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 24 - R.P.
What's become of it ? Anyone watching the Amazon version ?
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 24 - Lygonos
Noone gives a toss any more.

The world knows EVs are coming and dinosaur juice fuelled replacement-for-having-a-tiny-cock-mobiles aren't the draw they used to be.

Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 24 - rtj70
The last (short) season of TG without Chris Evans was an improvement and still room to improve. The Amazon Grand Tour was pretty naff. Presumably when they manage to finish filming there will be a new season to watch online.
 Top Gear Discussion thread - Volume 24 - VxFan
The new season is going to be based in the Cotswolds. Surprise surprise, not far from where Jezza lives. It's 10 miles from his country home, Diddly Squat Farm.

www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/41418679/the-grand-tour-is-no-longer-going-on-tour-with-the-hosts-cased-in-the-cotswolds

Top Gear - No FM2R
Didn't Top Gear start again this weekend?

Did anybody watch it?
 Top Gear - Zero
Yes, - bit boring, driving V8s (mustang, mcclaren, Jag) in various locations in the mid west of the states.
 Top Gear - smokie
It was on in my local last night but we turned it off.
 Top Gear - Haywain
I don't watch Top Gear but, as I flicked through the channels yesterday evening, it appeared. After 5 minutes, I remembered why I hadn't watched it for ten years and switched off.
 Top Gear - DP
The only person who makes it vaguely watchable is Chris Harris. I've followed him for years on YouTube. Incredible driver who comes across well on camera, and has a great knack of relaying the experience of driving a car, and the way it feels.
 Top Gear - Manatee
>> The only person who makes it vaguely watchable is Chris Harris. I've followed him for
>> years on YouTube. Incredible driver who comes across well on camera, and has a great
>> knack of relaying the experience of driving a car, and the way it feels.

That's funny, he has the opposite effect on me! Too shouty.
 Top Gear - rtj70
Anyone watched any of the Extra Gear show... the driver of Le Mans Ford GT40 (Jackie Oliver) says they used to call John Wyer 'Darth Vader'.... Hmmm... Did they really? I think not.... timelines are wrong. Surely the BBC would pick up on that and correct it.
 Top Gear - VxFan
>> Didn't Top Gear start again this weekend?
>> Did anybody watch it?

Not yet. Most unusual for me. I've normally watched it by Monday if I've missed Sunday's episode. Been busy doing other things. I meant to have downloaded it to my iPad last night to watch at work lunchtime today. Same with Extra Gear.
 Top Gear - nice but dim
Like the others, I got bored after 20 minutes of messing around in the desert.

Switched it off early, then watched Doug Demuro and Hoovies Garage on youtube after.
 Top Gear - Boxsterboy
Didn't think much of the first one - too many fast cars. But tonight's was much more fun - playing with toys in fabulous California wilderness.
 Top Gear 10.3. - R.P.
Mmm. First time of watched in ages. Japanese special. Curate's egg. We've been looking as RX8s on Auto Trader. Surprising bargains out there ! Grand for a ten year old with FSH.
 Top Gear 10.3. - Zero

>> RX8s on Auto Trader. Surprising bargains out there ! Grand for a ten year old
>> with FSH.

For a reason.
 Top Gear 10.3. - R.P.
Oh I know -- but still
 Top Gear 10.3. - Bromptonaut
>> For a reason.

Certainly not much good as a daily drive. OTOH if it's a hobby car...

One of the guys at the site where we keep the caravan runs an immaculate looking RX8 - year n/k as it's on a personal plate. For a month or two there was another under tarpaulins in the yard gradually being reduced to a shell. Presumably being parted out to keep the other one running.
 Top Gear 10.3. - rtj70
Isn't it possible to flood the engine if you start and then stop it without it fully warming up. It then needs taking to the garage to be sorted. And the rotor tips don't last that long do they if you don't look after it and let it warm up properly before using the full revs?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 12 Mar 18 at 14:31
 Top Gear 10.3. - Zero
>> Isn't it possible to flood the engine if you start and then stop it without
>> it fully warming up. It then needs taking to the garage to be sorted. And
>> the rotor tips don't last that long do they if you don't look after it
>> and let it warm up properly before using the full revs?

Yes to that, and add heavy oil usage (a litre per 600-1000 miles -but thats often no worse than a badly run in VX engine) and high fuel consumption. Sub 20mpg is commonplace.
 Top Gear 10.3. - R.P.
We were figuring on 14 to 17 (being driven as if stolen) Mrs RP had a test drive of one a few years ago when she was in the market for a new car. Ended up with an MX5..
 Top Gear 10.3. - DP
>> Yes to that, and add heavy oil usage (a litre per 600-1000 miles -but thats
>> often no worse than a badly run in VX engine) and high fuel consumption. Sub
>> 20mpg is commonplace.

And all in return for 228 bhp and 0-60 in 6.4 secs. The RX-8 must represent the worst performance-to-running cost (and grief!) ratio in modern motoring.

I don't see the attraction of these engines at all. They don't even make a particularly nice noise.
 Top Gear 19th March - Boxsterboy
As a 2CV owner I really enjoyed last nights programme. I knew that Chris Harris had bought an early model a few years ago but it was good to see the car properly appraised! (I could say to my kids "See, it's not just me. They really are great cars!")
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 Mar 18 at 10:28
 Top Gear 19th March - Runfer D'Hills
You would be forgiven for thinking this a far too tenuous comparison, but the general way the 2CV slotted into the market when it was current, reminds me of my son's modern Aygo.

It's just enough car to be a car, and in some ways all the more fun for it.
 Top Gear 19th March - Zero
It was a very entertaining section, even Madame Z put her Facebook down and watched it.
 Top Gear 19th March - VxFan
I was expecting the 2CV racing to end in total carnage, like previous "races" when Clarkson, etc did anything like that. I was pleasantly surprised they didn't resort to a demolition derby this time.
 Top Gear 19th March - VxFan
>> was pleasantly surprised they didn't resort to a demolition derby this time.

Forgot to add that I was expecting a piano to come crashing down on the 2CV when it was shown in the field on its own.
 Top Gear 25th March - VxFan
Good episode Sunday night, well I thought so anyway.

I want a Track Tor. God that looks fun to drive. Outstanding in its field too ;)

Top Gear 25th March - martin aston
I enjoyed the opening item on the Ferrari by Matt Leblanc. It was well scripted and, as ever, well shot. However they then went onto another, albeit cheaper, American performance car for a similar piece.

Where is the variety these days? Maybe the rest of the show offered more but by then we'd turned off.

Top Gear Episode 6 - rtj70
So, did anyone else watch it? I thought it was a good episode but they broke two Volvo's and I am sure the Stelvio and Velar would be damaged too. Off roaders are not designed for that sort of thing surely.

Another series later in the year. I think the three of them did a good job and much better than the attempt with Chris Evans. Bit parts with Sabine Schmidt and Eddie Jordan.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 4 Apr 18 at 23:17
 Top Gear Episode 6 - VxFan
>> So, did anyone else watch it?

Yep. On the whole I enjoyed every single episode of the latest series.

>> Off roaders are not designed for that sort of thing surely.

You'd be surprised. I went mud plugging one weekend with a friend a couple of years ago. He's only got a Suzuki SJ13. I say only, but it could cope with everything that was thrown at it, and quite often made it through the really sloppy stuff that saw Range Rovers and the like getting stuck. No apparent damage to any of the vehicles apart from a small dent here of there where they brushed up against the odd tree. Certainly no mechanical failures.

And the best bit, when we got back he jet washed it inside as well as out. Not bad, considering he uses it on a daily basis to commute to work and back.
But the speed they were going offload and the jumping is what I'm referring to.

In a proper off roader you'd expect to have a low speed/ratio gearbox and so would be making slower progress. They were tearing around at high speed on rough terrain and doing jumps. Some of the jumps quite high.

I wonder how a good old Land Rover Defender would fair?

It's clear that Land Rover did not want them doing some of that race course in the Velar because it went the wrong way and got lost. The Alfa and Volvo then raced each other and the Volvo got damaged. But one of the Volvo's damaged engine mounts in the first bit.
>> They were tearing around at high speed on rough terrain and doing jumps. Some of the jumps quite high.

So were some of the lot I went with. It was by no means a "green lane" day out. It was in a private quarry. Ruddy bunch of nutters some of them were. I think some of them thought they were in the Dakar rally.

>> I wonder how a good old Land Rover Defender would fair?

They are generally the weakest when given serious abuse.
 Top Gear Episode 6 - Rudedog
Just watched it on iPlayer... not a good advert for the Alpine!

Very lucky, that thing went up really quickly.
It did go up quickly. Chris Harris noticed the flames and shouted for Eddie Jordan to get out.... it was soon fully ablaze.
>> It did go up quickly. it was soon fully ablaze.

And without any help from Hammond either.
 Top Gear Episode 6 - Boxsterboy
>> Just watched it on iPlayer... not a good advert for the Alpine!
>>

I think it was worse for Volvo. The Alpine was a pre-production model - these things happen. Whereas not one but two production XC60s were broken by the test which the Range Rover and Alfa-Romeo survived.
Last edited by: Boxsterboy on Fri 6 Apr 18 at 10:44
 Top Gear Episode 6 - Manatee
The Range Rover dodged much of it. Almost certainly intentionally is my guess (Rory, settling into his role as the Hammond replacement, "went the wrong way"). It would have been easy just to reshoot it.

I'd take my Outlander in preference to any of those three, for different reasons, at half the price. Or at the same price. And that isn't sour grapes!
>> (Rory, settling into his role as the Hammond replacement, "went the wrong way").

May was the one with the poor sense of direction, among his other faults.
 Top Gear Episode 6 - Zero
Really surprised by the alfa, you would expect the engine to fall out of that. To be fair tho, once they realised the Volvo had a weakness, they went all out to reproduce it.
I am surprised (if I remember Chris Harris' comment correctly) that part of the engine mount is aluminium. Presumably to save a few grams but for an off-roader, isn't aluminium a little to soft?

They clearly managed to break two of the cars - possibly the same issue with both from how they were driven.

I am sure the Velar was not in the last bit of the race because Jaguar Land Rover had not given permission. The others probably wish they hadn't either. There must have been damage to both the Alfa and we know the Volvos had damaged. But I would think more was wrong than the engine mounts.
 Top Gear Episode 6 - Manatee
It would be an alloy of aluminium.

Believe me, if you break a couple of engine mounts you will know about it especially if you are applying lots of power.

Having looked at some images they do look a bit weedy, but it's still probably the 'rubber lumps' that gave out.
 Top Gear Episode 6 - hillman1
If you look at the part driving across the lawn at the end of the race you can clearly see the undertray of the engine hanging off the Velar (approx. 57m40s) but as they pull up it seems to be repaired... (58m10s approx.)

Enjoyed the episode though.
 Top Gear Episode 6 - Boxsterboy
>> If you look at the part driving across the lawn at the end of the
>> race you can clearly see the undertray of the engine hanging off the Velar (approx.
>> 57m40s) but as they pull up it seems to be repaired... (58m10s approx.)
>>

Yes I noticed that too.

So if SUVs are no good in the rough they are a very expensive way of gettya raised driving position complete with useless packaging (amount of interior space for the size).
 Top Gear Episode 6 - Zero
SUVS are fine in the rough, they are not fine in the rough or leaping over ramps at 60mph. Anything short of a fully prepared Dakar rally car will be in trouble under those circumstances.
 Top Gear Episode 6 - No FM2R
I don't do play off-roading, I don't really know why anybody would. What little I've seen of the play places, they're all designed to be possible, so it's a little hobby, I guess.

Mother nature tends not to be so kind. In real life it's pretty difficult and usually painful and unpleasant. It is certainly nerve wracking. I've got through a fair amount of door mirrors and tyres, and I've scratched and dented a fair few body panels.

But if you're doing it properly you don't wreck them.

I don't watch Top Gear, but taking Zero's comment at face value, then it sounds no different than simply trying to wreck a car.

Mind you, I have never used an expensive luxury SUV on anything more challenging than a muddy field.
 Top Gear Episode 6 - bathtub tom
I've done trials and (grass) autotests and there's no way that treatment would be to any advantage.
The only time I've broke a car was when my new, Kingpin remoulds provided so much grip on wet grass, the diff made a bid for freedom and punched a hole in the gearbox.
 Matt Le Blanc quitting - CGNorwich
Matt Le Blanc is leaving the show. Got too silly and he got bored I guess.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 1 Jun 18 at 02:03
 Matt Le Blanc quitting - Zero
Then the show is dead, time the corpse is buried.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 1 Jun 18 at 02:04
 Matt Le Blanc quitting - Manatee
Surprising, I thought he was looking more comfortable. Perhaps the money wasn't that good.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 1 Jun 18 at 02:04
Latest Forum Posts