Technical Car/Motor Issues > Volkswagen Golf IV - 00 1.6 Servo vacuum pipe
Thread Author: Timeonmyhands Replies: 11

Volkswagen Golf IV - 00 1.6 Servo vacuum pipe - Timeonmyhands
Had a whistling noise in the engine bay on Wife's 1.6 petrol, auto Golf.
Brake servo pipe, the bit with the heat shield on, is dangling down by the steering rack and brakes are hard (no power assist)
Cannot see where to reconnect the pipe to, any ideas boys and girls?
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 00 1.6 Servo vacuum pipe - Zero
One end goes to the servo on the bulkhead, just in front of the fluid reservoir probably, the other end will go to an outlet on the inlet manifold, this one should be making a sucky hissy noise with the engine running
There are three pipes, one to the servo, one to the inlet manifold and a third which all meet at a tee junction on the bulkhead. I can get vacuum by blocking up this third pipe with my finger.
This pipe has a split in it but you can see rings in the plastic where it must have been either pushed onto a tube or had a nonreturn type valve in it. I am at a loss.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 00 1.6 Servo vacuum pipe - Zero
To the Crankcase I'm guessing.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 00 1.6 Servo vacuum pipe - bathtub tom
Would the third pipe go to a unit that measures the inlet manifold depression for the ECU?
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 00 1.6 Servo vacuum pipe - carmalade
If the pipe is hanging down,then it is probably broken at the non return valve,that is why you can't see where it connects.You will need a complete new pipe.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 00 1.6 Servo vacuum pipe - sherlock47
Do they have a non return valve or just a flame trap (a la old volvos), which rapidly blocks with tar like deposits any way?
I'm guessing there was a nonreturn type valve that has dropped off, have put a bolt in the pipe and taped up to get vacuum and off to the garage tomorrow. Thanks, will let you know.
Mystery solved, there should be a plastic bung in the end of the pipe with an option to connect to an electric pump on other variants. Mine was just the bung missing, all done by a great little garage in Oldbury, Highpoint Motors.
Thanks anyway for your suggestions.
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 00 1.6 Servo vacuum pipe - sherlock47
Always carry a golf tee with you.

Great for sealing all sorts of pipes. Mandatory if you own a hydraulic citroen!
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Mon 14 Aug 17 at 15:59
 Volkswagen Golf IV - 00 1.6 Servo vacuum pipe - VxFan
>> Always carry a golf tee with you.

They come as standard in a Rolls Royce.

Bloke gave his mate a lift in his new Rolls-Royce, his mate who wasn't golfer found a golf tee on the floor.

"What's this for?" he asked his mate holding up the tee.

"It's for resting your balls on when you drive off" his mate replied.

"Blimey! they think of everything at Rolls-Royce don't they?"

I'll get me coat.
Sorry, not a bung missing, reconnection to a small electric pump hidden on top of the front subframe, pump used on automatic transmission variants as a supplementary to the inlet vacuum, you live and learn.
Latest Forum Posts