Computer Related > New Laptop required? Computing Issues
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 12

New Laptop required? - sherlock47
Wifes' 5 yr old Toshiba Satellite C660-1LD has expired following ( not sure if related?) Creators W10 update. Appears to have lost all drivers associated with Mouse and Touchpad and lost cursor. Would not normally be a problem, however over time she has managed to damage both USB ports and leave them not working. I have tried installing a BT mouse but that will not identify correctly _ I smugly thought that that would be a creative solution! Proprietary driver upgrade software does not run correctly so without keyboard/cursor use I appear to be bug......d!

Fortunately because it was networked I have manage to pull off all the critical data.

Because of its age I am reluctant to spend any money on it - but once she has a replacement I will do a clean w10 DVD install and then, if it resurrects, dismantle it and look to replace the USB ports if practical. I have been told that usb ports are part of motherboard - not a plug in daughter board. If it looks good a small SSD upgrade at that age may be worthwhile.

Meantime to buy a new one, but what make? Probably an I3 with hdmi port, possibly a SSD? Historically a Lenovo may have featured in the list but the word is that they are not what they used to be? From poor personal experiences HP do not attract me. Dell ? Dell desk tops have always served me well - particularly if purchased from the discount part of Dell or EuroPC.

What suggestions please?
 Messages Author Date
 New Laptop required? new sherlock47 30 Oct 17 10:22
 New Laptop required? new smokie 30 Oct 17 10:59
 New Laptop required? new sherlock47 30 Oct 17 11:00
 New Laptop required? new Hard Cheese 30 Oct 17 11:08
 New Laptop required? new Stuartli 31 Oct 17 01:13
 New Laptop required? new MD 31 Oct 17 07:49
 New Laptop required? new Hard Cheese 31 Oct 17 11:11
 New Laptop required? new Hard Cheese 31 Oct 17 11:13
 New Laptop required? new Stuartli 31 Oct 17 12:55
 New Laptop required? new movilogo 31 Oct 17 10:03