Non-motoring > Bargains Thread - Volume 22   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 110

Bargains Thread - Volume 22 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 23 *****

=============================================================

More bargains !

Post links in here of any offers/bargains that you come across. Need not be motoring but motoring related is of course welcome.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 21 can be found HERE
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 8 Dec 17 at 12:55

Cheap Fibre Broadband - Roger.
Vodafone are offering their Fibre38, including line rental for £20 a month, calls not included. There are a couple of call packages and I've gone for UK anytime calls for £8 a month, so the total is £28, all in. No set up charge. This is a limited time offer, I think.
BT were miffed: they emailed me with a cancellation fee notice and I then called them; but their best quote after a long diatribe that they offered a premium user experience, for an equivalent package, when my current deal runs out in January was £39 a month. I am able to leave penalty free (although they tried to frighten me, by email, with a cancellation fee,) as I've just received formal notice of price hikes to my current contract.
They tried to justify their cancellation fee, (£240) by saying that I should have given them notice first, BEFORE, switching to Vodafone.
I said "OK", I'll cancel my Vodafone order, give you notice and then reinstate my switch to Vodafone"!
Er, no that was too much for them to swallow, so after a long pause they agreed on no fee to leave.

Cheap Fibre Broadband - Dog
=> Vodafone

~ uk.trustpilot.com/review/vodafone-reviews.co.uk

= :-(

Cheap Fibre Broadband - Roger.
Vodafone have had sticky patch in their customer service, but that was, I think, for their mobile network. A change to their computer systems was blamed. (Ha, ha!)
Be that as it may, I found the help desk very good in assisting me through sign up, although, to be fair, it was a SALES help desk, not for service or complaints.
We shall see but, there really should not be too much to go pear shaped as the fibre connection is already in place. (Touching wood!)

Cheap Fibre Broadband - Dog
Not all bad then guv: www.ispreview.co.uk/review/reviews/877/reviews.html?page=1

1M 4 way 13A extension lead. - henry k
Price match this ?
www.clasohlson.com/uk/view/COProductController/quickView?productCode=18-4688

I know it is basic but £1.99 from a high street seller not a pop up Christmas outlet.

1M 4 way 13A extension lead. - smokie
Poundland often have a three way one for a £1, oddly. :-)

If you buy your one online then delivery is £4.95. (Improved URL for yours - tinyurl.com/ycdea36d)

But Clas Ohlson do have some very competitively priced stuff. They had some ear defender radios at a good price last summer - ideal for motor racing. My nearest is Reading but I can't remember the last time I went shopping in Reading!

1M 4 way 13A extension lead. - R.P.
Are they safe though ?

1M 4 way 13A extension lead. - sherlock47
safe? probably, but I would not use them for kettles,fires,radiators etc.

use them for xmas tree lights - probably safer than the cheap transformers or phone chargers!

1M 4 way 13A extension lead. - Bromptonaut
>> safe? probably, but I would not use them for kettles,fires,radiators etc.
>>
>> use them for xmas tree lights - probably safer than the cheap transformers or phone
>> chargers!

A lot of the cheaper ones are limited to 10amps. Ideal for the household charging station but no good at all for fires, kettles etc. Mind you, a worrying number of people don't understand that even those specced for full 13amps are 13 IN TOTAL.

1M 4 way 13A extension lead. - henry k
>> (Improved URL for yours - tinyurl.com/ycdea36d)
Thanks. Their product search is not great.
The Kingston branch is very extensive (the whole of a big old Woolworths store )

>>Are they safe though ?
The company has been around for 100 years so I think I will trust them.

Cheap glasses.............. - Roger.
..................update.
My two pairs for £15, prescription glasses from Glasses Direct, arrived earlier this afternoon.
I'm very happy with them.
They seem well made.
They fit fine.
They look OK - not fashionable, but I do not care about that.
They work as expected.
Each pair has its own, decent quality, case.

Well worth the money :-)

Cheap glasses.............. - CGNorwich
"not fashionable, but I do not care about that."

We know - we saw the shoes! :-)

Cheap glasses.............. - Zero
judging by the choice of shoes the glasses are a day or two late.

Cheap glasses.............. - Roger.
>> "not fashionable, but I do not care about that."
>>
>> We know - we saw the shoes! :-)
>>
My Chinese imported shoes arrived this morning. Ordered on the 15th. Nov. , so not a bad delivery time. No import duties levied.
They fit fine (EU size 45) and are fantastically soft and light - just what I wanted.
They may not be high fashion, but at £19.86, delivered, I am happy.

Cheap glasses.............. - Zero

>> My Chinese imported shoes arrived this morning. Ordered on the 15th. Nov. , so not
>> a bad delivery time. No import duties levied.

No the customs man probably thought the shoes were penalty enough.
 Cheap glasses.............. - Runfer D'Hills
It's up to the recipient to declare the import to UK customs.
 iPhone X - VxFan
Not quite a bargain! Sorry.

Spotted in a local CEX branch, a 64GB iPhone X, 2nd hand, and they wanted £1235 for it.

Considering a brand new one is £999 from pretty much everywhere in the UK, me thinks they're having a laugh.

s18.postimg.org/48kthsgx5/IMG_1980.jpg

iPhone X - Duncan

>> Spotted in a local CEX branch, a 64GB iPhone X, 2nd hand, and they wanted
>> £1235 for it.

Considering CEX is the equivalent of a pawnbrokers - no? - and the X phone has only just come out, they must have got in a financial mess pretty quickly!

iPhone X - DP
>>
>> Considering CEX is the equivalent of a pawnbrokers - no? - and the X phone
>> has only just come out, they must have got in a financial mess pretty quickly!
>>

CEX isn't really a pawnbroker, although I supposed it could be used as such. It's just a secondhand tech dealer, and can offer a convenient way to offload unwanted stuff.

I've been bitten selling phones on eBay before, and would never do it again, so I might look to the likes of CEX if I had a phone I wanted rid of, and their bid was fair. If they are trying to sell it at £1235, it's possible they offered the seller a decent price for it.

iPhone X - R.P.
In Liverpool people take out contracts on new phones - get the phones, strip out the SIM and sell the phone at a similar joint to CEX in a matter of 30 minutes. Good way to make money.

iPhone X - Zero
Yes a new 64gb iPhone x is £999, and while you can order one for that price anywhere in the uk, you can't have it. They are on a 3 week lead time. Possibly longer.

I'm sure that for any turkey that is prepared to pay £999 for a phone is prepared to pay an extra 236 quid for 3 weeks bragging rights.

iPhone X - VxFan
>> They are on a 3 week lead time. Possibly longer.

Bloke at work was told that by EE. 4 days later his iPhone X turned up.

There's a shop not too far from CEX in Newbury, Stormfront who sell Apple products. They also had loads of the latest X in stock ready to be bought and taken away straight away.

edited to correct shop name from Stormforce to Stormfront
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 18 Nov 17 at 17:13

iPhone X - Zero
Thats was then, they are currently on a 3 week lead time.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 17 Nov 17 at 17:50

iPhone X - henry k
Son today gave me a quick demo of the security and it did not like my face :-(
He brought me an Echo show for easy viewing of grandson but SWMBO did not warm to me telling her to ask Alexa the day or date instead of me. It looks pretty robust and I expect SWMBO will warm to it once the link is acitvated.

iPhone X - VxFan
>> Thats was then, they are currently on a 3 week lead time.

Fair enough.

I should have guessed you know more than the lady in the Stormfront shop who said they've got loads of the latest X in stock, and have had so all week.

You must also know EE have none either, which is why my work colleague received his X on Tuesday!
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 18 Nov 17 at 17:12

iPhone X - Zero
It came from Apple but hey YOU still explain why it costs more in that shop you mentioned you smart ass.

iPhone X - VxFan
Whatever. I've got better things to do than argue with know it alls.

btw, next time I'm passing Stormfront, I'll pop in and mention that you called the sales assistant a liar.

iPhone X - Zero
if you like, Say to her " Can you tell me why iPhone X's are selling for more than retail price because I don't know"

iPhone X - Zero
Oh and whisper to her "unlocked" Iphone X's...................

iPhone X - VxFan
Because CEX and the like can charge what they like for them. Whether people actually pay is another matter. Obviously CEX and the like are trying to exploit the unaware who think they can't get an iPhone X for a number of weeks, when in reality there is an authorised Apple store just down the road who actually has them in stock.

Spotted in one of CEX's other branches the other day was an 8GB iPhone4, with the asking price of £80 ! Madness.

iPhone X - R.P.
What is CEX ? sort of Brighthouse thing ?

iPhone X - sooty123
They buy electrical goods etc and then resell them. A second hand goods shop if you like.

iPhone X - R.P.
I did Google. I wonder if they charge premium interest rates on people who find it hard to get credit.

iPhone X - smokie
Not sure but IMO it's aimed at the nerdy types who can't wait to get their hands on the latest gizmo, thus creating a market for used but good condition 2nd user stuff. In my mind it was launched as Computer EXchange. I've bought stuff there once or twice but not on credit.

iPhone X - Old Navy
>> Not sure but IMO it's aimed at the nerdy types who can't wait to get
>> their hands on the latest gizmo, thus creating a market for used but good condition
>> 2nd user stuff. In my mind it was launched as Computer EXchange. I've bought stuff
>> there once or twice but not on credit.
>>

I have bought a couple of things from Cex, also a cash purchase. You have to be careful though, as stated above you can sometimes buy the same stuff online, new, and cheaper.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 19 Nov 17 at 08:56

iPhone X - Bromptonaut
It started out just off Tottenham Court Road (once a Mecca for electronic/radio stuff) primarily trading in computer parts. Some stuff was quite high end, sold on by those always upgrading to latest video card and optical drive etc. I used it occasionally for bits and bobs to keep obsolescent machines I'd found for the kids going. Mostly memory and the odd hard drive but once found a VESA local bus video card, a piece of dead end tech used in a 486 that was The Lad's first PC, for a fiver.

Only other place I found stuff like that was at computer/ham radio fairs.

This was long before E Bay or pretty much any other on line source was available.

These days it majors on phones etc and s/h films and video games with computer bits relegated to a couple of shelves in a display case. Used it once in last few years to replace an ageing but perfectly Sony Ericsson Mobile I'd lost on the Metro in Paris.

iPhone X - R.P.
There's no branch in Rhyl so it must be a reasonably run shop.

iPhone X - Clk Sec
Prior to this thread, I'd never heard of them...

iPhone X - Duncan
>> There's no branch in Rhyl so it must be a reasonably run shop.
>>

On a recent cruise to Spain and The Canaries, when we docked in Lanzarote, we didn't bother going ashore. We asked some fellow cruisers who had been ashore what it was like, they replied, "It's like Rhyl. Every shop is boarded up"!

Is that what Rhyl is like?

iPhone X - CGNorwich
In that case you missed a fascinating island. Lanzarote does have areas of mass tourism but it also has some beautiful little towns, fascinating landscapes amazing walking. Hope to get there in February. Try it. It is much more interesting than the inside of cruise ship.

iPhone X - Dog
>> we docked in Lanzarote, we didn't bother going ashore. We asked some fellow cruisers who had been ashore what it was like, they replied, "It's like Rhyl.

Back when we lived in Tenerife, I had this idea of visiting the other major Canary islands so, one day we just upped n' orfed .. got the ferry from Santa Cruz to Las Palmas in Gran Canaria, found some rental digs, hired a car and checked out the whole island.

Did the same on Fuerteventura and Lanzagrotty. The one island which neither of us liked was indeed Lanzagrotty and wouldn't ever consider revisiting said island.

But then hey ho, takes all sorts / one man's meat / each to his own etc. etc.

iPhone X - Zero

>> Is that what Rhyl is like?

No.

Honestly I think some people should never be allowed to leave the country unless its a prison ship to Australia.

iPhone X - R.P.
Is that what Rhyl is like?

A tale of two towns. The town centre is awful - loads of cheap stores - the biggies have migrated to nearby Prestatyn, it has a major drugs problem, consequently a major violent and acquisitive crime. There are a disproportionate number of murders there compared to the rest of north Wales. The flip side is that its had a shed-load of European money and the west end (which was the poorest ward in Wales) has had major improvements in the sea front. It's become an awful place.

iPhone X - smokie
Does it still have the Golden Mile of amusement arcades, where I spent many hours as a youngster (on holiday with Gran). I became (and still sometimes am) quite a pinball wizard.

I remember the Prestatyn sun centre being built

Gran had a beach chalet near the Rhyl lifeboat station. and I often used to see it launched down the ramp. I remember watching Punch and Judy at the clock tower. And the beach donkeys lived in fields close to my Gran's and used to be walked down to the beach daily past her house. Also remember the running mods and rocker fights there on Bank Holidays in ?the mid to late sixties?

iPhone X - R.P.
Yes, of sorts, there were some bad council decisions around 30 years ago that has ruined the promenade - some of the arcades are still there, but hardly golden these days. Lifeboat station still there. They've demolished the Sun Centre quite recently which has improved the sea front to the east of the town, they've re-furbished the Pavilion Theatre (which is a pretty good venue - saw Squeeze there last month). It is a shadow of it former self in so many ways. I had to go to Specsavers to get a spectacle repair a few weeks ago. I rode in as I know that parking is at a premium. The shopping centre in the town full of pound shop locations and as mention M&S and Next etc have run away.

iPhone X - Bromptonaut
>> Spotted in a local CEX branch, a 64GB iPhone X, 2nd hand, and they wanted
>> £1235 for it.
>>

Looked in window of local one on way into work this morning. They have on with 256gb(?) and want £1400.00 plus.

iPhone X - Falkirk Bairn
I will say a good word for CEX - I have bought an ipod for the car & a couple of odds & ends. 6 years on the ipod still works in the car - stalls every so often but disconnect/connect solves the issue.

A son is a big fan of CEX - he buys & plays lots of games (40+yrs old) buys the odd game @ CEX & every so often unloads a pile of them + old i-phone etc - last time he off loaded a lot & bought a new, never opened Boss sound system - 2/3 price of best shop price with his trade-ins.

iPhone X - Stuartli
All the CEX stores I've come across are clean, tidy and have a wide range of products for sale or they will buy your items. See:

uk.webuy.com/

Very similar to Cash Converters in many ways concept wise:

www.cashconverters.co.uk/

I've notched some cracking bargain buys at the latter's Preston branch in the past when I worked in the town (now city).

Boeing 747 jumbo jets - No FM2R
www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-42076373
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 22 Nov 17 at 19:38

Boeing 747 jumbo jets - smokie
Lucky I didn't see these. She keeps telling me off for buying Chinese tat. :-)

Boeing 747 jumbo jets - R.P.
We could start our own airline. Fursty as Senior pilot.

Boeing 747 jumbo jets - commerdriver
>> We could start our own airline. Fursty as Senior pilot.
>>
Wonder what's happened to FF, haven't seen him around for a while

Boeing 747 jumbo jets - Duncan
>> Wonder what's happened to FF, haven't seen him around for a while
>>

He got a bit annoyed on 20th? September:-

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=24821&m=547090

Boeing 747 jumbo jets - Pat
That'll be my fault then!

I remember when men were men and gave me more than I could give back to them......but neither ever got offended:)

Pat
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 22 Nov 17 at 19:37

Serendipity (sort of)....................... - Roger.
.......................is when your washing machine breaks down in Black Friday week. Step up AO, with a new BEKO machine coming on the day after tomorrow.
The only downside, really, is that due to age and infirmity :-) I have decided to pay for installation and the removal of the defunct item.
For a machine with a1400 rpm spin and an up to 10kg load, £219 is not a bad price.(Plus fitting etc).
I suppose a repair would be possible, but by the time one factors in waiting for a tradesman/woman, ordering the parts and waiting again for the fitter, paying labour and call-out charges, the overall cost of a new machine comes into an affordable position.
Well, it does for me!

Serendipity (sort of)....................... - Clk Sec
We only have washing machines / dishwashers repaired once. If they go wrong a second time they're scrapped.

Fortunately, we have local repair chap who is reliable and doesn't overcharge.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Thu 23 Nov 17 at 13:14

Serendipity (sort of)....................... - Bromptonaut
Our fairly elderly Zanussi packed up in September. Found a load of grainy detritus in the drum and it was skipping round the kitchen on spin. Presumably some sort of counterweight disintegrated. Might have been repairable but only after wait and with work plus my Mum being on her deathbed in Leicester we hadn't time to faff.

I'd initially ordered one to collect from Currys but got 'the call' from hospital on way to pick it up. My sister mentioned AO as an alternative.

Ordered while at my daughter's on Saturday delivered, installed and old one removed by lunchtime on Monday.

So good that when tumble dryer started to play up last week we ordered a matching one from AO. Faultless again.

Serendipity (sort of)....................... - Robin O'Reliant
>> .......................is when your washing machine breaks down in Black Friday week. Step up AO, with
>> a new BEKO machine coming on the day after tomorrow.
>> The only downside, really, is that due to age and infirmity :-) I have decided
>> to pay for installation and the removal of the defunct item.
>> For a machine with a1400 rpm spin and an up to 10kg load, £219 is
>> not a bad price.(Plus fitting etc).
>>
>>
Sounds like the one we bought earlier this year, Roger. Decent machine and pleasingly quiet, even on fast spin.

Socks ! - R.P.
Paid £11.00 for four pairs of "sustainable" bamboo fabric socks. What a load of pooh. Put one of the new pairs the other day, they had no self support despite an elasticated top and ended up more or less coming off, on top of that both pairs I have worn have worn to a hole at the toe, despite my immaculate toe nails.

Sainsbury's have seven pairs of socks for £7.00 - a pound a pair made in proper full fat nylon/cotton. Bargain

Socks ! - Dog
Somebuddy mention socks? www.fifecountry.co.uk/mens/accessories/socks

Socks ! - Pat
Why do sock manufacturers imagine that all men's feet are size 7-11?

Ian is a size 12 and loves brightly coloured socks but as soon as you find a retailer doing that size they immediately become grey and boring.

Pat

Socks ! - hjd
>> Why do sock manufacturers imagine that all men's feet are size 7-11?

Here you go, Pat.
www.sockshop.co.uk/big-foot

I am female with size 9 feet, son and husband both wear size 12 so I know where you and Ian are coming from in this..
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 24 Nov 17 at 02:44

Socks ! - R.P.
Dunno. Might be a gap in the market. Specific sizes.

Socks ! - Pat
Thanks hjd, I think I see a Black Friday sock buying session tomorrow morning!

Pat

Socks ! - Zero
Ruddy hell, he buys you a new volvo, and he gets socks off you.....

Socks ! - Duncan
>> Ruddy hell, he buys you a new volvo, and he gets socks off you.....
>>

If anybody bought me a ovlov, I would buy them socks with holes in!
Last edited by: Duncan on Thu 23 Nov 17 at 18:50

Socks ! - Stuartli
>>...If anybody bought me a ovlov, I would buy them socks with holes in! >>

Every sock has a hole in it.

Socks ! - Manatee

>> Every sock has a hole in it.

From a mathematical perspective, I would dispute that:)

Socks ! - Pat
Not just socks Z, but silly socks now:)

Pat

Engine Oils - Hard Cheese
Great deals currently on Castrol engine oils, Magnatec and Edge, at EuroCarParts.com ...

Engine Oils - Manatee
Just bought 5l of Helix Ultra AF from carparts4less. 20% off with code BLACK20. A few pence cheaper than sister site ECP which had 50% off their starting price of £42.89, instead of 20% off £26.40.

The ECP code is BLACKFRIDAY

Amazing SIM deal - Ends Tonight - zippy
Virgin - open to all

Unlimited Minutes
Unlimited Text
Unlimited Data - apparently tethering included.

£20 per month - 1 year contract.

Ends midnight tonight

Â£10 worth of free fuel - devonite
www.mirror.co.uk/money/how-everyone-can-10-worth-11641422

Gotta be quick!! ;-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Dec 17 at 19:20

Â£10 worth of free fuel - Zero
It is of course not exactly as straightforward as it seems....
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Dec 17 at 19:20

Chocolates - Stuartli
Normally these tins of sweets are £5 each Christmas, but Morrisons also offer them at £4.72 and, as at present, for £4.

I always buy several tins to hand out if you need to give someone a present unexpectedly. Good value.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 7 Dec 17 at 07:40

Chocolates - rtj70
Tins/sweets and £10 of free fuel? I am confused.

now fixed, Stuart please link new topics (no pun intended!!) to the first post in this thread and give it it's own name

If you are referring to offers on plastic containers (looking like old style tins from a distance) for Roses, Heroes, Celebrations, etc. then they are £4.00 in Tesco as well. But the container is plastic (so not a tin) and they are chocolates and not sweets. A fruit pastel would be a sweet (i.e. mostly sugar).
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 7 Dec 17 at 07:44

Chocolates - Pat
...and the weight of them goes down every year.

Pat

Chocolates - zippy
Noticed that the supermarket also did big kilogram tins of chocolates but be wary of the pricing. The plastic ones were 60 odd pence per 100 g and the larger tin ones were 80 odd pence per 100 g!

Chocolates - bathtub tom
>> ...and the weight of them goes down every year.
>> Pat

Unlike the weight of some of us :>)

Chocolates - Roger.
>> ...and the weight of them goes down every year.
>>
>> Pat
>>
Unlike the weight of those who scoff them frequently :-)

Chocolates - R.P.
4.5 Kilo Toblerone for sale in Morrisons this morning. Ironically next to a diabetes awareness poster.

Chocolates - CGNorwich
>> 4.5 Kilo Toblerone for sale in Morrisons this morning. Ironically next to a diabetes awareness
>> poster.
>>

It’s no one’s there is a national obesity crisis. Nobody needs this junk.

Chocolates - Manatee
>> >> 4.5 Kilo Toblerone for sale i
>>
>> It’s no one’s there is a national obesity crisis. Nobody needs this junk.

Oh, absolutely.

How much are they?

Chocolates - R.P.
How much are they?

£57.00 in Morrisons...

Chocolates - CGNorwich
the WW2 sweet ration was equivalent 2 ounces to per week so you would have had to blow 79 weeks of coupons to buy that in 1950.

Chocolates - No FM2R
>> 4.5 Kilo Toblerone for sale in Morrisons this morning. Ironically next to a diabetes awareness poster.

>>It's no one's there is a national obesity crisis. Nobody needs this junk.

So for everything you buy you have to work on the basis that if you start eating it then you have to finish eating it in the same sitting?

Don't be so grumpy. I would absolutely buy one if they had them here, love the stuff.

Chocolates - rtj70
I hope the pattern/layout of the peaks is as it should be. You'd be annoyed if it wasn't. They only meddled to reduce weight/cost on normal bars.

Anyway a small Toblerone bar is 150g (used to be 170g apparently) therefore the giant one is 30 times the weight. But the 150g one is £1 in some places. So buy 30 regular ones and it's £30. They are overcharging by some margin for this USP of being massive. For £57 you could get 57 and therefore 8.55kg!
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 8 Dec 17 at 00:19

Chocolates - rtj70
And 8.55kg of Toblerone is about 46,000 calories (rounded to nearest 1000).

Handy if you're stranded on a desert island with no food maybe.

How many would even attempt that at one sitting.... 18 days worth of calories :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 8 Dec 17 at 00:23

Chocolates - commerdriver
>> And 8.55kg of Toblerone is about 46,000 calories (rounded to nearest 1000).
>>

or 2443 WeightWatchers smart points, if anybody's interested, 12.5 weeks worth.

Chocolates - Manatee

>> or 2443 WeightWatchers smart points, if anybody's interested, 12.5 weeks worth.

Does that mean you could live on one for 3 months? Need some lime juice I suppose.

Chocolates - Zero
Did you know that if you eat 8.55kg of Toblerone (which is Brown) your poo goes white?

Chocolates - tyrednemotional
..did they used to put Toblerone in dog food.......?

Chocolates - commerdriver
>>
>> >> or 2443 WeightWatchers smart points, if anybody's interested, 12.5 weeks worth.
>>
>> Does that mean you could live on one for 3 months? Need some lime juice
>> I suppose.
>>
No, you would just have to have other things which are zero points for 12 weeks, like fruit, vegetables, fish & chicken breast. Perfectly balanced :-)

Chocolates - smokie
Pleased to see Toblerone are reversing some of their changes./

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44910195

Not that I've had one for years...

Chocolates - CGNorwich
Does anyone buy a giant bar of cheap chocolate and carefully consume it in healthy size portions over a period of months. I think not. Do I care? Not really but it is rather shocking that 35% of 11 year old children in this country are now obese. As a nation we are eating our way into an early grave.

Chocolates - rtj70
>> Does anyone buy a giant bar of cheap chocolate and carefully consume it in healthy size portions

But it's not cheap. You could buy more normal sized bars of the same Swiss chocolate for less. I don't see the point of it myself.

>> As a nation we are eating our way into an early grave.

Yep. Solves the pension problem but not the NHS funding problem.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 8 Dec 17 at 01:38

Chocolates - madf
>> Does anyone buy a giant bar of cheap chocolate and carefully consume it in healthy
>> size portions over a period of months. I think not. Do I care? Not really
>> but it is rather shocking that 35% of 11 year old children in this country
>> are now obese. As a nation we are eating our way into an early grave.

It's Darwinism in action.. Guns are quicker - see the US- but we are selecting for resistance to sugar and self control of eating habits...

Chocolates - BiggerBadderDave
"Does anyone buy a giant bar of cheap chocolate and carefully consume it in healthy size portions over a period of months."

Me. Got a choccy Santa next to the bed which'll last a month and a tin of Roses that was given me last Christmas, still sitting here. A few still left. Some kind of bar in the fridge, I'll break a piece off every few days. I'm careful about any crap I might eat. No sugary fizzy drinks, no cakes, no sweets. Don't wanna die till the kids have gone to Uni.

Chocolates - Hard Cheese
I would say the term sweets includes chocolates such as Roses etc. Though yes, to describe them as a "tin" is pushing it ...

Chocolates - smokie
These "plastic tins" were two for £7 a couple of months back. Sell by date was plenty long enough for Christmas. So I got two.

Did they last till Christmas? Did they 'eck!!

Chocolates - Clk Sec
>> These "plastic tins" were two for £7 a couple of months back.

I'm usually quite a savvy shopper, but bought two 'plastic tins' from Sainsbury's yesterday for £10.

Curse!

Chocolates - rtj70
Earlier in November Tesco had them on offer, buy two for £7 (or could have been £8).

Spoke to my wife and we decided to get some for her dad (he has a sweet tooth) but the offer was no longer on. Just got one tin. He'd just about finished that so got another yesterday for £4.

Chocolates - Hard Cheese
>>
>> I'm usually quite a savvy shopper, but bought two 'plastic tins' from Sainsbury's yesterday for
>> £10.
>>

They might be the bigger ones ...

Chocolates - Clk Sec
>> They might be the bigger ones ...
>>

I do hope so. They were 660g.

Chocolates - Manatee
>> If you are referring to offers on plastic containers (looking like old style tins from
>> a distance) for Roses, Heroes, Celebrations, etc. then they are £4.00 in Tesco as well.
>> But the container is plastic (so not a tin) and they are chocolates and not
>> sweets. A fruit pastel would be a sweet (i.e. mostly sugar).

If you aspire to be a pedant, I approve. But you have to get it right, or they pick on you (even more).

pastel
noun
a crayon made of powdered pigments bound with gum or resin.
"future issues will demonstrate work with pastels and marker pens"
a soft and delicate shade of a colour.
"the subtlest of pastels and creams"
adjective
of a soft and delicate shade of colour.
"pastel blue curtains"
synonyms: pale, soft, delicate, light, light-coloured, light-toned, muted, subtle, subdued, faint, soft-hued, low-key, understated
"pastel colours"

pastille
noun
noun: pastille; plural noun: pastilles
BRITISH
a small sweet or lozenge.
"fruit pastilles"
synonyms: lozenge, sweet, gumdrop, drop, gum

Chocolates - Stuartli
>>If you are referring to plastic containers.....>>

Yet more pedantry from you....:-)

They're only £4 in Tesco now because Morrisons started selling them at that price from last weekend and advertised the fact extensively on TV and other media.

I'm well aware the sweets are now plastic compared to a year or two ago, but the majority still refer to them as "tins".....!!
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 7 Dec 17 at 11:33

Chocolates - Roger.

>> I'm well aware the sweets are now plastic compared to a year or two ago,
>> but the majority still refer to them as "tins".....!!
>>
They perhaps do taste of plastic?
We only buy Lindt Lindor and those not too often, even though they are delicious!

Chocolates - VxFan
>> but the majority still refer to them as "tins".....!!

I refer to them as tubs.

Chocolates - Stuartli
>> I refer to them as tubs.>>

So that's why we end up so tubby...:-)

Jet2 flights - legacylad
Outbound 10/12 LBA> Tenerife South £43
Inbound 21/12 £43

Lots of December flights both inbound and outbound at those prices, even some at £41

Bye bye. Assuming flights are not cancelled this Sunday!

Latest Forum Posts