Non-motoring > Bargains Thread - Volume 23   [Read only]
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 146

Bargains Thread - Volume 23 - R.P.

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 24 *****

=============================================================

Bargains spotted

Post links in here of any offers/bargains that you come across. Need not be motoring but motoring related is of course welcome.

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Volume 22 can be found HERE
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 1 Nov 19 at 19:48

Naked Wines offer - devonite
If you go on Ebay and purchase something from this seller (ejsuppliesltd2016), (i got a pasting table) you will receive a voucher for Naked Wines (nakedwines.com/auto) for £60.0 off your order for orders of £99 or more! - looks like a decent site, for connoisseurs but We don't drink wine often!!

header changed, as per the ignored "please note" request at the start of this thread.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 10 Dec 17 at 17:43

Naked Wines offer - R.P.
We subscribe as "Angels" to Naked Wines. Some good wines and now a cracking beer selection (irregular). Free Gin last Christmas - good people to do business with as well.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 10 Dec 17 at 17:44

Naked Wines offer - Hard Cheese
We seem to get loads of Naked Wines, Laithwaites etc vouchers with Amazon purchases etc.

Have taken a trial order before though happy with supermarket offers, Sainsbury's have 25% off six bottles currently, a great way to spend Nectar points.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 10 Dec 17 at 17:44

Naked Wines offer - Roger.
We like: Red - Campo Viejo Rioja Reserva, Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon.
White - Campo Viejo White Rioja, MontPierre Reserve Sauvignon Blanc (Sainsbury's)
None expensive, but all drinkable.

Naked Wines offer - Hard Cheese
Bought some Campo Viejo Rioja Reserva as corporate gifts in the late '90's and kept a few bottles of '97 to '00 vintage for 15 to 20 years, it was lovely.

Naked Wines offer - legacylad
I’m a beer drinker in pubs ( never drink at home unless entertaining) and discovered white Rioja when staying with friends in Spain last year. Very quaffable.
Earlier this year Booths had El Coto white Rioja on sale @ £9.79. In the local supermercado in Moraira last month it was €3.05... my learned friends tell me it’s not very good stuff.

Naked Wines offer - R.P.
Naked's craft beers are spot on. Don't drink much myself these days and have strayed into bottled IPAs - Tasted Sierra Nevada on an US trip in 2012, now available at Morrisons (far enough away from the monster Toblerone), but I have to say some of Naked's bottled beers taste even better.

Naked Wines offer - sooty123
Get any tips RP? Don't think I've really tried many of theirs yet. Can't get into SN IPAs they're just too hoppy for me. Although I think that about nearly all American brewers in that market.

Naked Wines offer - R.P.
They send a mixed box (their choice) - All I can say not found one I don't like.
 Cheap Halfords oil - Lygonos
I know this comes round every year but here it is again.

Was £12/4 litres last year - now £15 but they have added the BMW/MB blend to the deals.

Been using Halfords 5W30 exclusively in the FRV for some time now.

www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/halfords-5w30-fs-oil-bmw-mb-4l-bf-limited-edition

(plus extra 3.15% off using topcashback.co.uk)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 25 Dec 17 at 11:18

Cheap Halfords oil - madf
Thanks Just ordered two for collection tomorrow.... anything to get out of the house :-)

Our 14 year old Yaris thrives on the stuff.
Last edited by: madf on Mon 25 Dec 17 at 14:16

Jaguar xf lease deal - sooty123
www.hotukdeals.com/deals/jaguar-xf-20i-prestige-auto-lease-pch-16399month-initial-147593-524768-select-car-leasing-2872513

I know nothing about lease/pcp car deals but I've been told that this is a good deal. Hopefully it's of someone use to those on here.

Moderators Comment - when starting a new subject, could you reply to the 1st post in this thread, as per the "Please Note" request. It then saves one of the moderators having to move it to the correct place later, not to mention the risk of losing your post altogether - thanks
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 7 Jan 18 at 19:42

Jaguar xf lease deal - Manatee
Looks like a 2 year hire for a total of c. £5250 (9+23). That does look cheap in terms of the depreciation you would expect if you bought it.

A friend of mine got something similar for 2 years on a highly spec'd Mercedes ML when 4x4 prices collapsed a good few years back.

>> Looks like a 2 year hire for a total of c. £5250 (9+23).

I don't know much about this type of thing, what does 9+23 relate in a two year lease?

Jaguar xf lease deal - Manatee
It's 9 x £163.99 initially, followed by 23 monthly payments of £163.99, then you give it back. That adds up to the £5250 in round numbers. There'll be a 'document' fee as well, typically £180-£200.
Thanks, that makes sense.

Jaguar xf lease deal - Bobby
Does anyone still only do 5k miles a year?

Jaguar xf lease deal - Zero
not here I average 14-16k. I already have 3.5k on the Beemer in two months

>> Does anyone still only do 5k miles a year?
>>

Quite a few yes, I averaged about 5k in the last couple of years. The average across the UK is about 8k.

Jaguar xf lease deal - rtj70
My wife does nearer 1,000 a year in her car - but most of that is related to looking after her elderly father. Locally she will cycle though.

But this week she won't cycle much - she slid on black ice in December and she was lucky to not have badly injured herself.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 7 Jan 18 at 18:37

Jaguar xf lease deal - Bromptonaut
Over last few years about 17k on the Berlingo and another 9k on my Roomster. No longer doing Sheffield and/or Liverpool several times a year on 'student support' but with Miss B in Torpoint and The Lad shacked up with his young lady in Scouseland it still adds up.

We made mistake with Berlingo #1 of taking a PCP based on 9k. Pushed our luck in yr 1 by taking it to the Western Isles to 'run it in'. Then the Xantia disgraced itself with one problem after another and we took 'Enrico' on camping trip to Provence where it proved itself first class family transport. Xantia relegated to station hack.

No choice but to pay the balloon at end.

Jaguar xf lease deal - Mapmaker
I've averaged about 5k the last few years. Managed 1k during Christmas week to my surprise.

Jaguar xf lease deal - BiggerBadderDave
Usually between 4-5k. My commute is hopping from the bedroom to the office without stepping on the landing.

Jaguar xf lease deal - Zero
>> Usually between 4-5k. My commute is hopping from the bedroom to the office without stepping
>> on the landing.

No SSS&W or coffee on the way?

Jaguar xf lease deal - MD
No SSS!

Jaguar xf lease deal - zippy
>> Does anyone still only do 5k miles a year?
>>

Ex- does 5k a year. I do about 25k.

Jaguar xf lease deal - MD
About 4K and possibly a bit in the Guvnors little car. I would love something a bit larger, smoother, quieter, more comfortable and quicker, but the justification for same Just ain’t there.

When off up to Lancs in the spring we will hopefully hire something decent, but that seems to be proving a bit of a minefield. I will seek your advice nearer the time..

Jaguar xf lease deal - smokie
Got my car at the end of July, done nearly 1900 miles since then!

Jaguar xf lease deal - legacylad
Took delivery of Barbie Mobile early October ‘17. Still only got 1600 miles on it. But have been in warmer climes on 3 trips since. ( and I don’t mean S of Barnsley)
Will probably only cover 6k leisure miles in the first 12 months
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 7 Jan 18 at 23:15

Jaguar xf lease deal - rtj70
Got my car on October 11th and since done about 2500 miles. So on course for maybe 10k this year. More if I do business miles this year.

Lidl Power Washer. - R.P.
Parkside Pressure Washer PHD110 A1. Bought from Lidl this morning for £19.99 - OK it's not a famous yellow brand but for 20 notes. I have a 25 year old Karcher which has seen better days. We'll see !

Lidl Power Washer. - Stuartli
Sounds a great buy!

It's advertised on eBay for £60 (in new condition)....:-)

tinyurl.com/y7x3l86m

My own pressure washer is a Challenge upright model bought at Argos some years ago for £50- that price included a £30 same brand portable handheld vacuum cleaner which made a great Christmas present for a member of the family...!!
Last edited by: Stuartli on Thu 12 Apr 18 at 13:07

L'Or Instant coffee. Tesco promo. - Roger.
The crafty makers of Carte Noire instant coffee have, as many will know, re-branded it as L'Or, decreased the large jar content to 165 gm from 200 gm and kept the price the same, or slightly more, as the old 200gm jar.
I was in Tesco yesterday and saw a promotion for the new "Intense" variety of the product at £4
for the 165 gm size instead of around £6.75.
I bought a couple, and the flavour is pretty good, so I may well pop in the store tomorrow and buy half a dozen or so, if the deal is still on.

LED bulbs - henry k
The Pound shop
LED bulbs for the home. Only ones available were those equivalent to the old wattage 40/60W
Last edited by: henry k on Wed 25 Apr 18 at 14:48

LED bulbs - Robin O'Reliant
There are bulbs and there are bulbs. I once bought a pack of candle bulbs from the Pound Shop, the first two went after about a fortnight blowing themselves out of the holder in a shower of sparks and taking the fuse with them. The rest went in the bin.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 26 Apr 18 at 02:02

LED bulbs - VxFan
Got my last lot of LED bulbs from Family Bargains. Something like £1.59 each for a 60w equivalent non dimmable bulb. The dimmable ones were slightly dearer. IIRC, the brand was Elluminate.

Previously I bought some from B&M, Energizer branded. 60w equivalent non dimmable, £5 for two.

Both purchases seem to work fine so far. Certainly give out more light than an equivalent 60w energy saving bulb anyway.

LED bulbs - henry k
>>Previously I bought some from B&M, Energizer branded. 60w equivalent non dimmable, £5 for two.

A B&M store recently opened in my area. I will explore their offerings.
( I assume such bulbs will be non dimmable unless specifically labelled )

LED bulbs - VxFan
I think so Henry. They’re normally more expensive too.

IIRC the 100w equivalent LED bulbs were £8 for a pack of two. I’ve found the 60w are sufficient for my needs though.

Edited to include link
www.bmstores.co.uk/products/energizer-60w-b22-white-bulb-2pk-323790
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 26 Apr 18 at 12:32

LED bulbs - Stuartli
If you have an electrical factor trade distributor in your area you may well find it proves beneficial to buy bulbs etc from there at much lower cost (similar to a motor factors).

I have one in my area (Mr Ohms) where I can buy 4ft flourescent tubes (Crompton 36w) for just over £2, Compton energy saving halogen equivalents of RS80 bulbs (42w) for about the same price (my bathroom has three main lights using these type of bulbs) and other money saving items.

The RS80 bulbs are particularly handy as the originals are now unavailable and reducing the energy consumption by a third helps running costs.

For general small lampshade, I bought some Shinehai 8w LED bulbs 3000k (8w, equivalent of 60w) on Amazon (six bulbs cost just over £13 delivered). They are shaped like standard incandescent bulbs:

www.amazon.co.uk/SHINE-HAI-Bayonet-Equivalent-Non-Dimmable/dp/B01N0Q9YQ1

In the case of porch/landing lights (they are on permanently) I'm still using 8w, 11w and 20w energy saving bulbs provided free by E-On or bought for just 20p each in a Tesco promotion some years ago.

It's notable though that the E-On Philips bulbs last at least twice as long as Tesco's own brand...:-)

2.1 amp USB charger @ Poundland - VxFan
One of Poundland's £2 products.

It has had a thorough interrogation by "Big Clive" on YouTube, including a 2kV flash test. He was very impressed with the quality.

youtu.be/aS1pwoVdRh4

2.1 amp USB charger @ Poundland - Stuartli
Signal Lex produce quite a few products of this type for Poundland - never had any problems with them over the years.

2.1 amp USB charger @ Poundland - VxFan
>> Signal Lex

Or even Signalex ;)

Autoaid - bathtub tom
I suspect that many here use Autoaid like me. My renewals come up and I came across an offer on MSE (Money Saving Expert) for new customers only - £48 for fifteen months. I contacted Autoaid and received the following reply:

Good Morning,
If you would like the MSE deal you do have to go directly via them, please be aware it is an online deal only, therefore we will not be able to offer it to you on renewal.
If you have any other enquires please4 contact us.
Regards,
AutoAid

Bombay Sapphire - Clk Sec
Picked up a Ltr today from Sainsbury's, where it's on offer at £21. 70cl size is also £21!

Bombay Sapphire - Bromptonaut
>> Picked up a Ltr today from Sainsbury's, where it's on offer at £21. 70cl size
>> is also £21!

Me too. Previous offer was Tanqueray. Living in hope that next will be Plymouth.....

OTOH we're off to Isle of Harris for the Solstice along with daughter and her fiance so might try the local stuff:

www.harrisdistillery.com/harris-gin

Home Insurance LV v DL - martin aston
Just had my building and contents renewal from LV. We have at least 10 claim free years. They wanted £165 compared to £147 last year. I went online and can get equivalent cover from £102 but with lots of detailed questions re BSI locks etc. I tried Direct Line and after a handful of simple questions got cover for £109.

I did go back to LV for a requote but even with that price challenge the best they could offer was £156. So I've gone with DL.

I recall from previous threads that LV are a popular choice with forum members. I wonder how my LV car renewal due in October will stack up. Its been competitive for five years so I hope todays rise doesnt carry across to the motor side.

I know this experience is the norm nowadays but I am surprised how little effort insurers put into customer retention.
Last edited by: martin aston on Mon 11 Jun 18 at 15:02

Home Insurance LV v DL - Zero

>> I know this experience is the norm nowadays but I am surprised how little effort
>> insurers put into customer retention.

Knowing DL as I do, you'll be hunting around for another insurer within two years, DL really know how to buy in cheap then sting you later at renewal time, relying heavily on customer inertia.

Home Insurance LV v DL - smokie
That doesn't sound like my experience with Direct Line. I've tried others but gone back to them each time. We were with Saga when we were burgled, boy, what a pain the claims process was. Then they put exclusions on our renewal, that if the keys were stolen from us and the thieves gained entry we weren't covered. No reason for that as that wasn't how the crime happened - they just broke though the front door in the middle of the night. In the past we've had a couple of accidental damage claims with DL which were absolutely painless.

Also used to use DL for car ins but recently went to More Than but as they couldn't insure my current wheels I had to move again, and DL weren't that cheap.

Home Insurance LV v DL - Bobby
>>DL really know how to buy in cheap then sting you later at renewal time, relying heavily on customer inertia.

Not my experience - I always shop around at renewals and also check the cashback sites etc. I really struggle to find anything cheaper than DL at renewal.

Home Insurance LV v DL - Zero
Its been my experience, three times. Car, Pet and Home insurance.

Calorie laden................. - Roger.
.................................but great.
ICELAND are offering Kelly's Cornish clotted cream ice-cream for £2.00 a pack.
Normally this is up to £4.00 a pack. The next best offer I've found is 2 for £5.00 at Tesco.
We now have half a dozen packs in our outside freezer. (A flying three day visit from our daughter and son-in-law to collect our two grandchildren from school, this coming weekend, will assuredly remedy this overstock situation!)

Dark chocolate Bounty bars - henry k
Just a small bargain but it has returned two Dark Chocolate Bounty two bar packs for £! in the Surbiton Waitrose
No idea if it is available in other outlets but I have never seen it advertised in any form.
It was around for months, stopped for a few weeks and is now back.

Bluetooth speakers - legacylad
Curry’s PC World have reduced the UE Boom 2 on their website from £99 to £80. It appeared that only the red version had been reduced, but in my local Curry’s store on Wednesday they thought they were all reduced.
Only the display model left, which was black, so got an extra 10% off, paying £72. A great small speaker for streaming music or from your phone/tablet whilst home or away. Waterproof so ok poolside with 15 hour battery life.

Matalan suits me... - Stuartli
Needed a couple of shirts so went to Matalan, a company I've bought products from ever since it originally opened in Cuerden, near Preston in the mid-1980s.

Whilst browsing amongst the current sales items, spotted a nice medium blue suit jacket knocked down from £54 to £30, then £20 and in my size.

Couldn't find any matching trousers, so asked a young assistant if she was able to find one at the normal price for the trousers (£30), thinking I still save £34 in total.

She couldn't find a pair, but then said she'd have a look "in the back". Eventually she turned up with the right pair in the required size and I thanked her for her time and trouble.

Went to the cash out and, to my surprise, the cost came to £29. I queried if the right price had been charge for the trousers and was assured it was correct.

So, overall, I bought a brand new suit for £55 less than the normal cost - definitely a bargain buy.

The sale is still on, both in the stores and on-line, so you may well be able to pick up a similar bargain.

Matalan suits me... - John Boy
>> She couldn't find a pair, but then said she'd have a look "in the back". Eventually she turned up with the right pair in the required size and I thanked her for her time and trouble.

I hope you gave her a tip as well! We've also been going to Matalan for years and have noticed that staff numbers have been reduced recently, so that the assistants tend to be run off their feet. Compare that to Marks & Spencer stores which are clearly overstaffed in comparison. No question then, why Matalan is doing well and M&S is struggling.

Matalan suits me... - Mapmaker
Your expensive taste in hifi obviously does not extend to clothes!

Matalan suits me... - No FM2R
Suits, shirts and shoes need proper money spent on them.

Other clothes much less so though. My daughters shop extensively at Matalan and the like when in the UK....

Matalan suits me... - Mapmaker
[Many] girls' clothes are essentially disposable.

Matalan suits me... - No FM2R
How long do they usually last you?

>> Suits, shirts and shoes need proper money spent on them.>>

Sorry, but I find that comment both offensive and quite unnecessary.

My last suit cost more than £200 (a Centaur), but because I've put quite a bit of weight on and, in fact, only wear a suit once or twice a year, I for one don't intend to spend money for no good reason.

As for shirts, Matalan's shirts are (as far as I'm aware from materials, styling and quality) exactly the same as those from M and S - in fact I have shirts from both retailers and can't fault them.

Some of my shirts, in fact, date back to the mid-1980s when Matalan was founded in Cuerden, near Preston and, although a bit small for me now, are still in excellent condition despite being washed and ironed many, many times over the years. Average price was just under £4 a shirt.

Still "proper money".

Matalan suits me... - Duncan
>> >> Suits, shirts and shoes need proper money spent on them.>>
>>
>> Sorry, but I find that comment both offensive and quite unnecessary.

You do take offence easily, don't you?

>>ou do take offence easily, don't you?>>

No. There's a difference between banter and sneering.
May I also point out that this thread is titled Bargains Thread.

That's exactly what I was discussing - a bargain.

Matalan suits me... - R.P.
Quite right Stuart.

Matalan suits me... - Bromptonaut
>> >> Suits, shirts and shoes need proper money spent on them.>>
>>
>> Sorry, but I find that comment both offensive and quite unnecessary.

Much as I complain about NoFM2R's posting style that one seemed pretty innocuous. I'm lucky in that I fit reasonably well into off peg suits but that wasn't always case. Shirts more of an issue because my shoulders are disproportionately broad for my collar size (why is collar size determinative for fit of a shirt?). A more generous fit is baggy and too long in sleeve. Spend a bit more on Rohan's shirts, £30-50 each in sale, and I'm fine.

IME cheaper suit fabrics don't wear well. Fine for me who wears a suit occasionally but not if it's your daily wear. Rohan's trousers wear well for me, both the poly-cotton bags and slacks etc in more conventional looking fabrics. Never tried one of their suit type jackets.

>>IME cheaper suit fabrics don't wear well. Fine for me who wears a suit occasionally but not if it's your daily wear. >>

I did clearly point out in my original post that I very rarely wear a suit these days - I'm retired so there's not the job requirement to do so and I much prefer a sports jacket and suitable trousers.

Matalan suits me... - R.P.
You're right. Tried bargain basement stuff, the only clothing that came up to spec was Florence and Fred Tee shirts from Tesco - Ideal under leathers/textiles wear.

Just commissioned a pair of Hiut Denim Jeans that I bought last year just before moving house - I seem to have shrunk a little around my middle and they need some shortening of the legs - Mrs RP sorted those last night - lovely fit and quality. Instructions state they shouldn't be washed for at least 6 months...

You can get some good stuff in Matalan (well the last time I looked).

Matalan suits me... - Runfer D'Hills
Bargains are good, I like them too, but it's sometimes fairly easy, if you know a little bit about how these things work, to spot the ones arrived at by exploitation.

Take a product at a remarkably low price, take off the VAT, take off the retail margin, the wholesale margin, the import duty ( if manufactured outside the EU ) the shipping costs, the manufacturing margin and the raw material costs, and have a stab at what was left to pay the poor sod who made it.

Matalan suits me... - Manatee
>> Bargains are good,...

>> have a stab
>> at what was left to pay the poor sod who made it.

I am very conscious of that, but never quite sure of the best way to deal with it. I suspect most of the poor sods in question would probably prefer that their employer was not just put out of business.

Better of course that the employers are made to provide decent working conditions and wages, that retailers care enough to set standards for suppliers, and that consumers are prepared to support the retailers who do. But it isn't always easy to know which those are, and paying a lot is probably no guarantee.

Matalan does have something to say about its ethics:

www.matalan.co.uk/corporate/ethical-sourcing-policy

www.matalan.co.uk/corporate/bangladesh-update

www.matalan.co.uk/corporate/environmental-policy

Matalan suits me... - Driver
Modern Slavery persists.

We often get quotes for equipment that are impossibly cheap so they are either faked, stolen or use the equivalent of indentured workers.

They are always ignored, but of course some oik will buy them and under cut us.

Matalan suits me... - Bobby
I think the Matalan quality is better than Next who charge double the price for the same thing.

Who can then chop 90% off in their boxing day sales and still make profit.

Matalan suits me... - rtj70
>> Next ... Who can then chop 90% off in their boxing day sales and still make profit.

I thought they empty the stores and restock with cheaper stuff for sales.

Ecco website - Manatee
For casual shoes the Ecco sale might be worth a look - I just bought a couple of pairs of the 'Indianapolis' style to replace a very similar pair that were good for driving.

www.eccoshoesuk.com/ecco-mens-shoes/c651

Ecco website - R.P.
Swear by Ecco. Casuals, sandals and winter boots. Some people find the fitment tight, worth trying before buying. One thing I don't cut corners on are shoes.

Ecco website - Manatee
I know what you mean. Some of their styles, in my size, won't even go on my feet. Others are OK. The ones I have just bought have a nice roomy toe box and enough width for my Gothic arches.

Ecco website - tyrednemotional
>>One thing I don't cut corners on are shoes......
>>

....on a motorbike, however........

;-)

Ecco website - R.P.
Oh yes...but "modified" rather than cut ;-)

Ecco website - MD
Churchs’ Brogues For me. Cheaney possibly for slightly less formal stuff, but any cheap shoe lasts weeks. My first pair of Churchs’ are coming up 22 years old. Never raced or rallied.

Ecco website - legacylad
Teva Hurricane XLT sandals for me. All summer long and whenever it’s warm enough. With both short & long trousers. When it’s scorchio I pad around the house barefoot and walk to the pub ( 5 mins away) in flip flops.
Cooler weather I’ve 3 pairs of Barkers and Loakes which I’ve had for years. My current favourite for long distance or any walking are Hoka One Ones ( model Stinson ATR). Look slightly ridiculous with the larger than normal cushioned sole, but lightweight, highly breathable, quick drying and perfect for walking on hard ground, rough tracks and tarmac. Wide box foot, but too unstable for fell running. I’ve covered at least 300 miles walking in them the past 8 weeks, often in baking temps, with not even a hot spot let alone a blister.

Ecco website - R.P.
"Flip flops to the pub" look away Humph.

Tyres - devonite
Just got myself a great bargain - Sorry it,s not one everybody can get tho' - Four brand new tyres (well 2 weeks old) on mint condition alloys for £150 quids! (Tyres have receipts) on Faceache! ;-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 14 Aug 18 at 02:12

Octavia lease deal - sooty123
www.hotukdeals.com/deals/skoda-octavia-hatchback-10-tsi-se-technology-5dr-23x-monthly-rental-5999-pm-2400-deposit-3840-180-admin-fee-cvl-3085891

Hopefully of some use to someone.

Octavia lease deal - smokie
Looks cheap but the headline price in the hotukdeals is the business price not the personal price, which is a bit higher.

Octavia lease deal - Lygonos
Headline price is the personal price.

Rate is £2000+VAT deposit, £50+VAT/mth./ (+£180 fee)

Octavia lease deal - smokie
It's been corrected!

Octavia lease deal - R.P.
1 litre engine...!

Octavia lease deal - CGNorwich
Not necessarily a problem.

www.whatcar.com/skoda/octavia/hatchback/review/n39/on-the-road

Octavia lease deal - Mapmaker
>> 1 litre engine...!
>>

I had a 1-litre 3-cylinder Astra here, and it went like stink - and drank nothing.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=23061&m=511426

Octavia lease deal - R.P.
I viewed some reviews on YouTube on the 1 litre VAG unit after reading this. Seems like a good 'un.

0w-20 oil - Lygonos
5 litres of 0W-20 (SN) delivered for £22.99 from ECP's ebay site.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petronas-Syntium-7000-SAE-0W20-5L-Litres-Car-Engine-Oil-5-Litre-Fully-Synthetic/351816994373

Edit- limited stocks for £18.69 on the ECP sister company ebay site carparts4less.

Supercheap if your car takes such lightweight oil.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sat 11 May 19 at 09:57

0w-20 oil - VxFan
Tesco have a lot of their Castrol oils and own brand oils at half price at the moment. Not sure if it includes that grade or not?

pepsi max - sooty123
24 cans for £4.99 at lidl, only on for a week starting today.

pepsi max - R.P.
Oddly, I called in for a pint of milk earlier - came away with a pack (0.06 per 100ml - bargain) -and er....a fire wandy thing to burn weeds for £14.99....had great fun with that this afternoon.

pepsi max - Bromptonaut
Aldi do the cheap weed guns from time to time too and I've had similar afternoons spent working out my inner pyromaniac.

pepsi max - VxFan
>> 24 cans for £4.99 at lidl

Tesco quite often do them at that price too (well £5, but close enough).

pepsi max - sooty123
>> >> 24 cans for £4.99 at lidl
>>
>> Tesco quite often do them at that price too (well £5, but close enough).
>>

Don't forget to pop it on here when they do! I don't shop in tesco much.

pepsi max - VxFan
>> Don't forget to pop it on here when they do! I don't shop in tesco much.

Not quite such a good deal as LIDL's, but Tesco have 24 cans for £6.50 until Tuesday.
The 2 litre bottles of Pepsi Max are currently £1.25 instead of £1.70 until 6th Aug.

pepsi max - Manatee
If you like it, fine of course but 'coke' drinkers generally won't buy it - hence the frequent promotions presumably. Every year I buy about 200 cans of pop for the village show. A few years ago instead of Coke I bought Pepsi Max which was on offer at Costco. Out of 3 slabs we sold about 8 cans.

I don't drink any of them so I have no opinion - I suspect it might be less about the taste than the brand. Is there supposed to be something different about it? What makes it "Max"?

pepsi max - VxFan
>> If you like it, fine of course but 'coke' drinkers generally won't buy it

I like the taste of both, and will generally buy whichever is the cheapest at the time if there is a choice between the two.

>> hence the frequent promotions presumably.

Coke also do frequent promotions. They also go around with their big lorry, standing in large towns handing out free mini cans of coke and free vouchers.

pepsi max - VxFan
For reference, Tesco have the 24 pack of Pepsi Max cans on offer for £5 this week, instead of the usual £8.

Annoyingly, I bought a couple of packs last week when they were on offer at £6.50 each. Grrr. Wish I'd waited a week now.

NetFlix £3 if you have some Sky packages - zippy
You need Sky Q.

It is £11 to upgrade via the box but if you go to your account via a web browser on your computer you may be offered a crazy price.

I was offered it for £2 (took off my old box set discount) then included it in the Nextflix upgrade so the total cost to me was £2.

Some people of HOTUKDEALS are saying the total cost of their package was reduced by adding this.

Be aware, some discounts can be removed and the website lets you know the before and after price so you can tell. None of my discounts (worth £40 per month) were.

Free Harry Pottter invisibility cloaks. Poundland - VxFan
www.ladbible.com/news/uk-poundland-launches-free-invisibility-cloaks-for-halloween-20191011

They intended to trial this item last year but couldn’t find it in the distribution centre.
 MOTO offer. - Roger.
For those who use MOTO service rest areas/food outlets there is a MOTO smartphone app. which gives various discounts on displaying the opened app. at the shop/food outlet at which you are shopping.
For me, the main benefit is that this includes M & S Simply Food outlets at MOTO.
On Tuesdays there is a 20% discount!
Our local, shopping mall, M & S Simply Food closed a while ago, so our nearest is at Blyth Services on the A1M.
I have a Sparks card too, so today I managed to save 20% on the shop - £9.89, plus £3.50 Sparks offer for spending more hyan £25, plus the usual M & S Meal Deal offer.
On a gross costs of £49.93, after all these offers I actually paid £26.59.
Feeling smug!
PS Blyth Services is about 6 miles from home, so fuel costs are minimal)
Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 29 Oct 19 at 14:35

MOTO offer. - Duncan
Still cheaper in Aldi and Lidl.

MOTO offer. - Roger.
It may be cheaper @Aldi & @Lidl, but we are multi-supermarket shoppers, using the discounters, Sainsbury, occasionally Tesco & Morrison's, plus M&S Food, as appropriate. M & S ready meals are the best, we think and that's what we use when we can get money off. Being retired, we have the time to shop selectively.
There is a big new ASDA being built locally and we might pop in there, but generally we are not fans.

MOTO offer. - Falkirk Bairn
Multi-shop Shopper -

Never ordered groceries on-line - I like to see it before buying

Dry goods cereals etc - Home Bargains -Brands / Labels I recognise
Costco - Bulk buys
Lidl - De Luxe range is as good as any other supermarket
Aldi - very occasionally
Tesco - Saturday Papers, cash machine + odds and ends
M&S for the odd ready meal -
(we do not buy ready meals very often & have never ordered a take-away
BUT the local Chip shop is ACE! and a treat 1 x per month)
Waitrose say 1 x per month

MOTO offer. - Roger.
I never thought I would say this, but everyday cooking has become a boring chore.
I like doing special meals - the other day for instance, I cooked a lamb biryani from scratch for sister and brither-in-law
We use ready meals plus fresh veggies a couple of times a week and think that at our age we can indulge ourselves a bit!

MOTO offer. - Lygonos
>> the local Chip shop is ACE!

Land and Sea for me - big haddock split in half much better than a small haddock fillet :-)

MOTO offer. - Bobby
A large fish supper (2 bits haddock) or small fish supper (one bit).
Or a large single fish (2 haddock) :)

MOTO offer. - Lygonos
>>A large fish supper (2 bits haddock) or small fish supper (one bit).
Or a large single fish (2 haddock) :)

Small haddock fillets aren't as good as half a monster ;-)

media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/05/6b/fa/b8/the-jumbo-haddock-at.jpg

MOTO offer. - Bobby
Thats a beaut!

MOTO offer. - Zero

>> media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/05/6b/fa/b8/the-jumbo-haddock-at.jpg

Now thats a fish supper

MOTO offer. - Bobby
hope there wasn't any air between batter and fish? Where was that?

MOTO offer. - Lygonos
That's an Ashvale Whale.

www.menu.theashvale.co.uk/

Finish it and you can have a second one for free or a free dessert.

I had the dessert!

MOTO offer. - zippy
>>That's an Ashvale Whale.

Damn, I was in Kirkcaldy and its environs in August and struggled to find a good restaurant. It wouldn't have been too far to go for an really good fish and chips.

MOTO offer. - Kevin
Many years ago I used to visit customers in Immingham about once a month. My first call would always be at the filleting sheds at Grimsby fish docks to drop off an order for a stone of fish and say "I'll be back at 3pm to pick it up".
Fresh fish straight off the boat caught less than 24hrs earlier and packed in ice for me to take home. Huge fillets of cod and haddock about three or four inches thick. Beautiful.

MOTO offer. - Lygonos
When you see the size of the black backed gulls at Aberdeen harbour with their 6ft wingspan you know fresh fish must be good for you!

MOTO offer. - Zero
>> When you see the size of the black backed gulls at Aberdeen harbour with their
>> 6ft wingspan you know fresh fish must be good for you!

When you see how runny and smelly their poo is you realise its not actually that good for you.

MOTO offer. - smokie
Wish I'd found that Ashvale whale a few years back when I was sentenced to a year in Aberdeen delivering a project.

I remember the gulls well. We were only in city centre hotels, and they start squawking very early, very loudly, right outside your window. My counterpart flew in one day and his luggage missed the flight so he popped into M&S and got a new suit, and was crapped on by one on hos way tot eh office!

As an aside, once in a while we got to stay in some posh hotel which I can't find on Streetview - anyway, I was a smoker at the time and went out with a couple of others for a cough and a drag and who should ask us for a light for his fat cigar but David Dimbleby. He was waiting for his crew to pick him up, and quite happily chatted to us for 5 or 10 minutes. He turned out to be a very nice, ordinary kind of bloke...

MOTO offer. - henry k
A mobile fish n chip van visits our area once a week.
My order is for a jumbo haddock n chips but I have share it with SWMBO. :-(
Not cheap but fresh and great quality. My treat of the week.
Plus pickled onions and Opies Cocktail Gherkins
www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258193559

MOTO offer. - Duncan
>> >> the local Chip shop is ACE!

After many years of dedicated research...My previous chip shop in Stoke D'abernon changing hands and style, I/we have for some years used The Fish Inn in Claygate (no credit cards). They don't have a website.

tinyurl.com/y9qdue25

MOTO offer. - Zero

>> After many years of dedicated research...My previous chip shop in Stoke D'abernon changing hands and
>> style, I/we have for some years used The Fish Inn in Claygate (no credit cards).
>> They don't have a website.
>>
>> tinyurl.com/y9qdue25

Surely anyone who knows their fish n chips in the area goes to Janes Upstairs

www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1984857-d2621778-Reviews-Janes_Upstairs-West_Byfleet_Surrey_England.html

MOTO offer. - henry k
>>Surely anyone who knows their fish n chips in the area goes to Janes Upstairs

My supplier for several years. ALL fish cooked to order but no phone orders.
Of course no seating.
www.fishersuk.com/
The only mobile fish and chip caterer to scoop the prestigious Fish and Chip Quality Award
www.fishersuk.com/locations.php
No phone orders.

Or dine in at their Banstead restaurant
www.fishersuk.com/our_restaurant.php
One of just four in Surrey to be awarded the prestigious Fish and Chip Quality Award.
Last edited by: henry k on Thu 31 Oct 19 at 10:23

MOTO offer. - R.P.
We'll be fish suppering tonight - Mrs RP working late (645pm) will collect them on her way home. Monthly treat. They come from a shop nicknamed "dirty Ken's" locally. It has a LA rating to match, but by gum they're great tasting !

MOTO offer. - Duncan
>> My supplier for several years. ALL fish cooked to order but no phone orders.
>> Of course no seating.
>> www.fishersuk.com/

As my Australian chums would say "Emma Chissett?" (How much is it?)

>> Or dine in at their Banstead restaurant
>> www.fishersuk.com/our_restaurant.php
>> One of just four in Surrey to be awarded the prestigious Fish and Chip Quality
>> Award.

Too far, don't want to eat in, I want take away.

MOTO offer. - Bromptonaut
>> As my Australian chums would say "Emma Chissett?" (How much is it?)
>>

Would that me Ozzie or Kiwi?

Chap I knew from schooldays has a Facebook persona of Mr 'Ow Much? Playing on the stereotype of the tight fisted Yorkshireman.

MOTO offer. - Haywain
I am a Chisit .....

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chisit

MOTO offer. - henry k
>> As my Australian chums would say "Emma Chissett?" (How much is it?)
>>

( Allegedly )J.P. Morgan an American financier's response might be fitting.

MOTO offer. - Duncan
What's that? If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it?

Your mobile chippie looks ok, but I don't really want to go to Hinchley Wood on a Tuesday evening for F & C!

MOTO offer. - Duncan
>> One of just four in Surrey to be awarded the prestigious Fish and Chip Quality Award.
>>

I have had a search, I can't find this award?

MOTO offer. - No FM2R
www.nfff.co.uk/pages/what-is-the-nfff-quality-award-and-why

MOTO offer. - Duncan
>> www.nfff.co.uk/pages/what-is-the-nfff-quality-award-and-why
>>

I didn't make myself clear. I found that page and lots more, but nowhere could I find a directory of good chippies.

MOTO offer. - No FM2R
Not this?

www.nfff.co.uk/pages/fish-and-chips-near-me

I think it's quite useful actually.

MOTO offer. - No FM2R
Though having said that I just put a Newbury postcode in and it gave me a shop in Godalming.

MOTO offer. - Zero
>> Though having said that I just put a Newbury postcode in and it gave me
>> a shop in Godalming.

It does have a very strange concept of "local"

MOTO offer. - sooty123
>> Not this?
>>
>> www.nfff.co.uk/pages/fish-and-chips-near-me
>>
>> I think it's quite useful actually.
>>

I think the nearest one to me would end up with stone cold fish and chips by the time I got them home.

MOTO offer. - Duncan
I did find that site earlier. Put in a postcode. Nothing!

MOTO offer. - Zero
>> I did find that site earlier. Put in a postcode. Nothing!

press the magnifying glass button.

MOTO offer. - Duncan
After about the fifth go, it did work.

It calls Walton Road, East Molesey as Surbiton.

I don't rate The Molesey Fish Bar. Superfish just along the road is not bad, but they don't compare with my Anglo-Chinese lady in The Parade, Claygate.
I

MOTO offer. - Clk Sec

>> The only mobile fish and chip caterer

Despite living in various parts of the country, I've not seen one of these around for decades.

MOTO offer. - sooty123
>>
>> >> The only mobile fish and chip caterer
>>
>> Despite living in various parts of the country, I've not seen one of these around
>> for decades.
>>

Place I lived in Norfolk had one, went back a year or so ago. Still going strong, always a big queue on a Friday.

MOTO offer. - sooty123
Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I went to a chippie. Not this year for sure.

MOTO offer. - Duncan
>> Surely anyone who knows their fish n chips in the area goes to Janes Upstairs
>>
>> www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1984857-d2621778-Reviews-Janes_Upstairs-West_Byfleet_Surrey_England.html

One, it's in W. Byfleet, you never know who you are going to bump into there!
Two, it's dining, do you think I am made of money?
Three, We have a Superfish in E. Molesey, thank you.

MOTO offer. - Zero

>> Two, it's dining, do you think I am made of money?

Peasant

MOTO offer. - Duncan
Quite so.

MOTO offer. - hjd
>
>> One, it's in W. Byfleet, you never know who you are going to bump into
>> there!
>>
Precisely. Part of the charm - keep it for those of us who are in the know.

Latest Forum Posts