Motoring Discussion > Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter Buying / Selling
Thread Author: PeterS Replies: 9

Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter - PeterS
Some of you might remember the 1994 Audi convertible I bought back in 2013. Yes, it really was almost 5 years ago. In 2016 it suffered a failed heater matrix, and despite a fine bodge bypassing it (prompted by Dave I think) it was never really used in anger after that. The MOT expired in 2017, and I just SORN’ed it. I had every intention of re MOTing it, but you know how it is, it wasn’t needed and it never made it to the top of the list of things to do!

So, in a fit of organisation I booked it in for an MOT last Monday, and the weekend before attached the battery charger. It hadn’t been moved for 6 months, there was no chance it was going to turn over - I didn’t even try. I arranged 48 hours of insurance cover to get it to the garage, so on the Sunday I thought I’d take it for a spin, pump up the tyres at the petrol station, slosh in some petrol and spend £6 having it cleaned. First impressions for the MOT tester and all that...

After 24 hours of charging the car turned over perfectly... but, it didn’t fire. Gave it a few goes, but nothing, just the churn of the starter. It had some petrol, but I couldn’t hear the fuel pump I didn’t think. Tapped all the relays and gave it another go. But nothing

So, in a fit of pique I took a few pictures and listed it on eBay.
Was very honest about it’s condtion, both positive (3 owners from new, comprehensive service history, new rear window etc etc) as well as the negatives (didn’t go, failed heater matrix, door trim beginning to peel. Did I mention it didn’t go?)

Was amazed when it sold for £511!!
I bought it in May 2013 for £536 with 6 weeks MOT
By my reckoning that’s a loss of £25 in 57 months. 44p a month :)
It covered around 12k miles in that time, so be fair. So perhaps 0.2p a mile is a fairer way of putting it ;)

Messages Author Date
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter  new PeterS 12 Feb 18 20:51
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter  new MD 12 Feb 18 21:07
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter  new PeterS 12 Feb 18 21:19
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter  new MD 12 Feb 18 21:27
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter  new PeterS 12 Feb 18 21:34
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter  new Avant 12 Feb 18 23:49
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapter.. new PeterS 13 Feb 18 06:40
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapte.. new legacylad 13 Feb 18 08:41
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chapt.. new Zero 13 Feb 18 11:33
 Audi 80 Cabrio - The final chap.. new CGNorwich 13 Feb 18 11:39
Latest Forum Posts