Computer Related > new laptop experience and palaver Computing Issues
Thread Author: martin aston Replies: 4

new laptop experience and palaver - martin aston
My old laptop had a broken hinge that finally gave up the ghost this weekend when the casing and screen also decided to part company. Still works but the sight of exposed wiring etc its a bit alarming and at nearly 5 years old not worth repairing.

So I bought a new HP with SS (solid state, no hard drive), No touchscreen anymore as they seem to remain only on more expensive machines, if at all. I'll get used to it.

Anyway even though we are on fast-ish broadband its taken 24 hours to get set-up. First it needed to download some hefty Windows updates that took the best part of yesterday to load up. Not untypical according to Google. Then my old emails wouldnt open so I had to go in and change the settings. Even then its taken an age to update - its 24 hours since Ifirst turned the machine on and the last few have only now staggered in. I dont have that many so I assume it does them in small batches.

My Office licences have expired and still work on my old machine but not the new one so no attachments would open. I make very limited use so I dont want to shell out and have loaded LibreOffice which seems to have done the trick.

I am struggling to defeature the MS Edge browser which gathers far too much info for my liking but is, so far, very quick.

I still need to transfer my C drive and calendar data over. There doesn't seem to be an automatic way to update calendar and the little bit I have on the C drive will probably be put on a memory stick and downloaded to the new machine. Unless anyone here has any suggestions?

Overall I am amazed how clunky the overall process has proved to be. My last laptop was set up and running very quickly. My SMART TV and my iPad worked pretty much out of the box. Was I unlucky this week or are PCs and laptops getting harder to set-up? Mine seems to require a lot of time and a bit of understanding to get it running which is out of step with the plug and play world.

Messages Author Date
 new laptop experience and palaver new martin aston 13 Mar 18 11:04
 new laptop experience and palaver new Falkirk Bairn 13 Mar 18 11:42
 new laptop experience and palaver new Zero 13 Mar 18 12:10
 new laptop experience and palaver new MD 14 Mar 18 06:46
 new laptop experience and palaver new Dulwich Estate II 18 Mar 18 15:43
Latest Forum Posts