Computer Related > Internet Browser Company Cars
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 56

Internet Browser - No FM2R
I haven't really used the Microsoft browsers since about 10 years ago when they annoyed me.

I used Waterfox for a long time, but then it got all laggy and crashy so I changed to Firefox. Just recently though, like the last week, Firefox has started using tons and tons of RAM. Now it might be my issue rather than Firefox, but this happened a few months ago when it was their fault so I cannot be a***d to check again.

So that's Firefox out.
Apparently Waterfox is still no better according to stuff I googled.
Chrome is ok, but it always seems a bit cumbersome [ for no good reason]
Opera is ok, I already use it. Quite slow to start up though.
Vivaldi is a bit flakey.
IE is, well, IE, so that's out.

I've just started trying Edge. It's only been a couple of days, but it seems pretty good actually.

Anybody got any other thoughts?
 Internet Browser - Robin O'Reliant
I think I'm using Edge as the icon has a big "e" on it. I also use chrome and have no issues with either. I've tried browsers such as Safari and Opera a few times and while they seem fast to start with they had slowed to a crawl within a week.
Edge has a dark blue 'e' and Internet Explorer has a light blue 'e' which looks like something is orbiting it, or it's wearing a headband at an angle.

I don't think Safari is maintained on Windows any more. That'd be my experience on Opera as well. Though I keep it just as an alternative.
 Internet Browser - smokie
I'e used exclusively Chrome fpr some years now but I'm slowly going off it. I have about 22 startup tabs and on my underpowered under-the-telly PC it literally takes 10 minutes to start, si I de-linked that one from my Google account. The tabs hog memory, but I don't notice it on my main computer.

I seem to have an increasing frequency of small problems with Chrome and I've been thinking about switching to Edge so I'll be interested to see others feedback.
 Internet Browser - Bromptonaut
Like Smokie I've used Chrome for several years. No real problems but it can hog memory if you've got multiple tabs. My home machines cope OK but has been an issue at work where I have a dozen or so on go at once.
 Internet Browser - sherlock47
Edge seems well behaved - but earlier versions did not work on some banking sites IIRC. There used to be an option to switch to IE from Edge but it appears to have disappeared on recent updates?
Sherlock, I just looked "Open with Internet Explorer" is still there.

Apparently I have version 41.16299.402.0, I'm pretty sure that it's the latest available.

I didn't know there was a concern with banking sites, and it certainly works now. It even works on the Chilean version of HMRC so it's doing ok right now.

After 2 or 3 days I have to say there's not much to dislike. Or like for that matter. It just works without drama. Currently got 11 tabs opened which is having no particular effect that I can detect.

And it starts up faster than Opera or Chrome.

I have my normal add-ons; LastPass, Ghostery, ABP and a few others.

No drama, would be the best summary, I think.
 Internet Browser - VxFan
I've used IE for many years now, and still do..

Couldn't get on with Edge when I got my Win8 PC, and still can't.

Occasionally use Opera, and of course Safari when I'm using my iPad or iPhone.
 Internet Browser - Stuartli
I've used Waterfox for many years and it's pretty quick - I do make sure that the web cache is cleared regularly and also run SpeedyFox which further speeds up Firefox, Waterfox and Thunderbird.

www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox

NFM

My version shows as

Microsoft Edge 42.17134.1.0

Where is the open with IE option on your version? I cannot see it immediately on my version?
Mmm, I will check if I need to update.

In any case, right now I click on the three dots in the top right corner and it's about the 5th form the bottom.
It is now updating, I'll let you know if the option goes away.

There was a failed cumulative update from the 16th. I don't know why it hadn't retried.
Well, your comment about your version of Edge led me to investigate why mine was lower. I found a broken update. It must have been some kind of logjam because as soon as I solved that issue and it became a s***storm of updates for next few hours.

However, at this moment I have been upgraded to 42.17134.1.0 and the "Open in Internet Explorer" option is still there.

I'll let you know if it changes.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 21 Jun 18 at 04:16
'Open with IE' is now grayed out -as in not available from the settings drop down menu. But you can start IE from the windows menu page.

There have been several recent reports of Banking Site issues -
developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/platform/issues/12047089/
www.copfcu.com/issues-accessing-online-banking-microsoft-edge-browser

Not on mine. It's not greyed out at all. And in fact I have just clicked on it and am now editing this from IE.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 21 Jun 18 at 09:50
 Internet Browser - Zero
I'm on the same version as you, as far as I know the latest current one, and mine is not greyed out.

Edit

Last Stable release - 42.17134.1.0 / April 30, 2018; 50 days ago
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 21 Jun 18 at 09:56
 Internet Browser - Roger.
Browsers - I have, of course, MS Edge, plus Chrome, Firefox, Waterfox, Excel Privacy and Cliqz. (Oh and Tor. which I find too tedious)
I've also used Opera, SRWare Iron, Palemoon, Maxthon, KMeleon and Yandex.
I keep coming back to Firefox though!
 Internet Browser - Roger.
Epic Privacy Browser, not Excel !
 Internet Browser - Rudedog
In some ways it's reassuring that you guys have issues with browser speeds, I thought it was just me..

Same issue with Firefox a while back where it slowed right down, even now all tabs seem to take ages to load or constantly freeze.

Will check version but I thought I had it set to auto update.

My Firefox has ground to a halt. I started it out of habit and by mistake today, after a while I was just thinking how bad Edge has become so quickly, when I realised I was using Firefox.

I don't know why it seems that stuff slows down, perhaps Zero does, but it certainly seems to happen.

Edge is still working well at the moment though. I have 13 tabs and 4 windows open and it is having no negative effect on anything else.
 Internet Browser - Zero
>> I don't know why it seems that stuff slows down, perhaps Zero does, but it
>> certainly seems to happen.

Crystal ball dead, but if I was there and could be r's, I could find out. But what I don't get, and never have, is this C4P obsession for having lots of different obscure browsers, usually half r amateur variants of some Canidae

I get a PC, I install Chrome, and I stick a VPN add on on it.

If it starts to slow down (and it rarely does) I close some of the tabs. How the hell can you work with 14 web tabs anyway, all the tab titles are compressed so you can't read what they are.

This place is just a therapists waiting room sometimes.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 22 Jun 18 at 08:03
 Internet Browser - Zero
I'll tell you what is the problem, its not the browser its the content. I bet if you wanted to be scientific about it you could plot exactly what pages and content make your browser, any browser "sticky"
Chrome with 24 tabs open here. They are my default tabs and I can read each one of them, or at least identify them with their icon. You need a bigger screen :-)

They aren't all in use at the same time, just open and ready. As I said up-thread, this was no good on a laptop so I unlinked the account and only have a couple of start up tabs,
>>>You need a bigger screen :-)<<<

A second screen is even better! even when the primary is 27 inches!
 Internet Browser - Zero
>> Chrome with 24 tabs open here. They are my default tabs and I can read
>> each one of them, or at least identify them with their icon. You need a
>> bigger screen :-)
>>
>> They aren't all in use at the same time, just open and ready.

You don't need them, you think you do, but you don't. Thats why god invented bookmarks and bookmark pages. Seriously, its a fetish, a phobia, seek help.
 Internet Browser - sooty123
>> You don't need them, you think you do, but you don't. Thats why god invented
>> bookmarks and bookmark pages. Seriously, its a fetish, a phobia, seek help.
>>

Beat me to it, I'm not a techy by a stretch of the imagination but isn't what bookmarks are for?

Its no skin off my nose but I'm idlely curious as to why anyone would want or need two dozen pages open as soon as the turn the computer on.
8 forum screens for forums I moderate on, to save me keep switching screens (e.g. here, from motoring to non-motoring, I can refresh a tab rather than keep opening different ones).

3 forum tabs for forums I regularly visit and contribute to.

Amazon and eBay in case I want to look something up quickly.

Calendar

BBC news

Twitter

Share monitoring screen in case I happen to be interested n shares (sometimes day-trade)

A handful of financial and other information screens just because I can.

Google Keep, partly shared with SWMBO, with task lists, plans for days out and holidays, notes of stuff I'd like to read about or websites I come across which I'd like to revisit sometime - scratch pad for making notes.

These are mostly sites I use very regularly. I do spend a fair amount of time per day at my PC, maybe more than most, but this is reducing rapidly. I have a few others bookmarked but I find it easier to have the ones I want already open rather than switching between them. If it didn't work then I wouldn't do it. I do know how to use computers!! :-)

With a 28" main screen the secondary 24" rarely gets turned on now!!
 Internet Browser - Zero
>> 8 forum screens for forums I moderate on,

Control Freak.

Tune in next week for another fascinating snap diagnosis from your favourite online computer physcologist
:-)

Get down Shep, get down...
 Internet Browser - Zero
>> :-)
>>
>> Get down Shep, get down...

Next week we will be covering "big screen syndrome"
 Internet Browser - Duncan

>> Tune in next week for another fascinating snap diagnosis from your favourite online computer
>> physcologist

A friend of Mrs Malaprop, perhaps?
 Internet Browser - Zero
>>
>> >> Tune in next week for another fascinating snap diagnosis from your favourite online
>> computer
>> >> physcologist

>>
>> A friend of Mrs Malaprop, perhaps?

The week after we can cover

"Pedantry, and its roots in small penile development"
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 22 Jun 18 at 10:01
 If it didn't work then I wouldn't do it. 

Sounds a very odd way to go about things. But if you make it work, then fair enough.
Don't get what you think is odd about it but rest assured it isn't...nor is it unusual amongst IT types :-)
 Internet Browser - Zero
>> Don't get what you think is odd about it but rest assured it isn't...nor is
>> it unusual amongst IT types :-)
I am an IT type, I was an IT type before you, and I have been an IT type longer than you.

I can assure you you are odd.
I'll tell you what's odd, being challenged in a forum on how I use a browser, that's well odd!!

Can we at least agree that black is black and white is white, or is that somehow problematic too? :-)
Discussion in an internet forum. Surely not.
>> >> Don't get what you think is odd about it but rest assured it isn't...nor
>> is
>> >> it unusual amongst IT types :-)
>> I am an IT type, I was an IT type before you, and I have
>> been an IT type longer than you.
>>
>> I can assure you you are odd.
>>

Z
Ah - but you were in the world of IBM - no beards and white shirts IIRC. Your brain was implanted with the Mantra of do it our way , however odd.
 Internet Browser - Zero

>> Z
>> Ah - but you were in the world of IBM - no beards and white
>> shirts IIRC. Your brain was implanted with the Mantra of do it our way ,
>> however odd.

Yes I know Those odd times when banks didn't fall over for days on end, when air traffic control worked 24 x 7 x365, when airlines could book passengers, when personal details were secure, hackers were very bad golfers on corporate golf days.
I could find more, but these will suffice,

www.independent.co.uk/news/business/system-failure-that-brought-down-ibm-technological-change-overtook-the-computer-giant-and-now-its-1480526.html

www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-01/canada-ibm-payroll-debacle-echoes-queensland-health/7802944

or was this event too recent for you? :)

Everybody has skeletons - or know where the bodies are buried, but it does no credit for escapees to have selective memories.
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Mon 25 Jun 18 at 12:48
 Internet Browser - Zero

>> but it does no
>> credit for escapees to have selective memories.

What a pompous supercilious reply that is.
>> but it does no
>> credit for escapees to have selective memories.

What a pompous supercilious reply that is.

You omitted to quote my whole post.

Everybody has skeletons - or know where the bodies are buried,

I included myself in that group!

Did I hit a tender spot?
Last edited by: sherlock47 on Mon 25 Jun 18 at 14:45
 Internet Browser - commerdriver
What is the point of quoting a 25 year old newspaper article?
a It is nothing to do with the subject
b It is hopelessly out of date
c Do you really think the press in 1993 was any better than it is today?

Sure IBM had problems in the 80s and 90s, so did every mainframe company. It is still very much in business.
>> What is the point of quoting a 25 year old newspaper article?
>> a It is nothing to do with the subject
>> b It is hopelessly out of date
>> c Do you really think the press in 1993 was any better than it is
>> today?
>>
>> Sure IBM had problems in the 80s and 90s, so did every mainframe company. It
>> is still very much in business.
>>
>>

Z was referring to the halcyon days when things IBM did not go wrong - the first article was bringing a a degree of balance. Everything to do with his post.

Maybe he was referring to even earlier times?

I made no secret of it it being a newspaper article - do you wish to clarify with the true version?
>> I made no secret of it it being a newspaper article - do you wish
>> to clarify with the true version?
>>
Help yourself, the internet is full of information if you want to find the "true" version

That story was typical newspaper, very selectively chosen. It was not and is not the whole truth by any means.

>> the world of IBM - no beards and white
>> shirts IIRC.
>>
A myth in the last 40+ years, mainly white shirts in the 70s but patterned / striped etc were far from unknown.
As for beards, I had one when I was interviewed by IBM at university and have had it since, 41 years in September, never been commented on.
 Internet Browser - tyrednemotional
>> Ah - but you were in the world of IBM - no beards and white
>> shirts IIRC.

....that was EDS.....
 Internet Browser - Bromptonaut
>> ....that was EDS.....

IIRC they provided a service for my then employer in early eighties. Staff filled in forms, Data Processors keyed the data which was then transferred to tape and couriered to EDS to be processed overnight.

Output delivered following day with updated records on microfiche. The Microfiche Reader Printer devices were the devil's work. Used some evil smelling toner and produced prints like early photocopies - not fast to light so they faded if left by a window. HArd copies for permanent records were printed separately off site.

Later, 1986, we got an in-house system that ran on dumb terminals with lurid green CRT displays. These were prone to phospor burnout so some messages were permanently visible.
>> Don't get what you think is odd about it but rest assured it isn't.

Just my opinion, seems odd to me. Unless you're checking the different tabs near continuously and your glued to the computer. Sounds all a bit OCD.

>>nor is it unusual amongst IT types :-)

Good point, what passes for (IT) unusual is probably off the scale.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 25 Jun 18 at 07:02
>> But what I don't get, and never have, is this C4P obsession for having
>> lots of different obscure browsers,

1) I like dicking around with a computer and trying out different stuff. These days there is little difference between most browsers, but there used to be.

2) Sometimes the only way to run more than one account is by using different browsers, different tabs doesn't do it. Facebook for example.

3) Why not.
 Internet Browser - Zero
>> >> But what I don't get, and never have, is this C4P obsession for having
>> >> lots of different obscure browsers,
>>
>> 1) I like dicking around with a computer and trying out different stuff. These days
>> there is little difference between most browsers, but there used to be.

So its an old habit. (and there was never really that much difference between browsers, it was "fashion"

>> 2) Sometimes the only way to run more than one account is by using different
>> browsers, different tabs doesn't do it. Facebook for example.

Now that is true. So I have two. The one that is native with the OS, and Chrome. You need more than two Facebook ID's, you are odd.

>> 3) Why not.

Why?

If you want to dick around and be useful, find a way to have multiple different Facebook accounts open on multiple tabs, and I will forever worship at your shrine.
>> Browsers - I have, of course, MS Edge, plus Chrome, Firefox, Waterfox, Excel Privacy and
>> Cliqz. (Oh and Tor. which I find too tedious)
>> I've also used Opera, SRWare Iron, Palemoon, Maxthon, KMeleon and Yandex.
>> I keep coming back to Firefox though!
>>

I can't say I've heard of many of them, are there are many differences between them?
 Internet Browser - Zero

>> I can't say I've heard of many of them, are there are many differences between
>> them?

None at all, using all those is just a form of computer autism. One rooted in the 1980s
 Internet Browser - Robin O'Reliant
I never bother keeping tabs open, I just have a desktop full of shortcuts to the sites I commonly use.
 Internet Browser - Ambo
My IE11 seems no longer to be supported by Windows. I am trying Firefox but don't like the way it enters my login without me asking for it. (Something similar afflicts Chrome.)

How do I copy my Favorites folder from IE to Firefox please?
 Internet Browser - rtj70
lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+copy+favourites+from+ie+to+firefox
 Internet Browser - Ambo
Got it, thanks.
Latest Forum Posts