Computer Related > Website security - what does this mean? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 11

Website security - what does this mean? - Rudedog
Can anybody tell me what does the message below mean?

A handful of the websites I've previously visited have started to display this and I'm unable to access them.

I've left the website name in the one below (hope that's ok).

I'm using an old MacBook on 10.7 and Firefox.

"Your connection is not secure

The website tried to negotiate an inadequate level of security.

hopshop.co.uk uses security technology that is outdated and vulnerable to attack. An attacker could easily reveal information which you thought to be safe. The website administrator will need to fix the server first before you can visit the site.

Error code: NS_ERROR_NET_INADEQUATE_SECURITY"
Seems I can view the site on my Blackberry and my wife can see it on her iPad.

Maybe a Firefox thing?
 Website security - what does this mean? - smokie
Chrome on Windows works OK too. It does block sites sometimes because it thinks they aren't secure. Never really looked into the whys and wherefores.
 Website security - what does this mean? - Bromptonaut
I can, like others, see the page in Windows 10/Chrome.

Suspect it's a Mac thing - you have to do it our way.
 Website security - what does this mean? - CGNorwich
It’s a Firefox problem. Google the error code. Use another browser. Safari or Chrome would. Be my choice
Ok took your advice and installed Chrome..

Still can't access the site, now get this error.

"This site can’t be reached

The webpage at hopshop.co.uk/kentish-lavender/lavender-season/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

ERR_SPDY_INADEQUATE_TRANSPORT_SECURITY"

I guess this is one of the problems running an older laptop, anyhow for these cases I'll have to use my phone's browser.
 Website security - what does this mean? - Stuartli
I'm using Firefox (64 bit) and no problem with that website - same for Waterfox. Desktop system is eight years old.

Website security - what does this mean? - Stuartli
See:

support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-osx
 Website security - what does this mean? - rtj70
You're well behind on OSX upgrades but what version of Firefox are you on?

What's the Mac model so we can recommend the latest version of OSX you can use and therefore possibly upgrade web browsers.

The error:

ERR_SPDY_INADEQUATE_TRANSPORT_SECURITY

suggests it's an SSL problem. The website is offering you the versions of SSL they support but they don't match up with the versions the web browser supports. The example website you provide uses HTTPS as do many now so you basically can't agree on a method to encrypt the link so it fails. For your safety.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 21 Jul 18 at 22:30
 Website security - what does this mean? - R.P.
It's a Mac thing. Both of mine do it now and again on Chrome. Never had it on Safari. Had it on my phone as well
 Website security - what does this mean? - rtj70
I think it's a 'it's too old thing' and the website offers a list of SSL ciphers it supports and the web browser doesn't support them. So you need to upgrade the browser. But MacOS X 10.7 is very old and latest browser version are not supported.

It might be possible to install an older version of Chrome or Firefox that is new enough to work on these websites.

Don't forget Mac OSX 10.7 Lion is about 7 years old.
Yes I'm at the end of the line with my laptop setup, full updated with the version of Firefox allowed for 10.7.5., I had to stop using Safari a long time ago as that started rejecting most websites.

I've tried going past 10.7 but all OS updates after this version seem to need the newer processors.

YouTube is OK but any website that has lots of fancy graphics moving around cause the fan to go ballistic and everything to slow down.

Cash flows not great at the moment so I'll have to make do for now.
Latest Forum Posts