Computer Related > Using REST APIs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 13

Using REST APIs - smokie
Yes and no - I was going to update you this weekend.

With some of the help you gave me upthread I'd managed to get something out of the API and I think I was making very slow progress, but I was facing a bit of an uphill struggle to get exactly what I needed in an efficient manner, then to do anything useful with it- and therefore was losing interest a bit.

Anyway I remembered that an old mate, with whom who I occasionally go motor racing at Le Mans and Sebring, was also a tech in a past life, and much more Unixy than me. We've worked more intensely than it deserves in putting together a PERL script. It's not been without problems but it's now nearly there.

One of our hindrances was that running it under Windows PERL seems to bring limitations which do not happen on Unix, so he's been developing it on a Pi. (All sounds very grand but really there isn't much to it - which is what I expected but I just was floundering with no background in Perl!)

Essentially the script uses more or less exactly the CURL command I was already using to get the data from the supplier, but the rest of the script is what was needed to do something with it. As I think you've alluded to, it is really quite simple (if you know it!) and I am now tweaking the script without any help.

An inordinate amount of time has gone into this, by yourself and my mate, and I am really grateful to both of you. Dipping my toe back into programming has been really enjoyable and I could well be drawn into another similarly ultimately pointless little project sometime

And I can still think of enhancements to this existing script which I'd like to make, not least sticking a GUI over the top, and making it run as a batch without my involvement, but again I have to learn some new product to do it. As I now have the data I want, and can get the updates (albeit clumsily) this now has no value whatsoever except as a hobby to pass a bit of time on a wet day. :-)

Anyway I will come back an finalise this at some point but in the meantime Kevin, thanks for your encouragement and assistance - I'm sure I would have given up early doors without that!! And of course I may be back for more advice... :-)

EDIT: Just found Perl/TK, which allows a GUI input. now the fun begins :-)
EDITEDIT: Perl Tk is version specific, can't see a version for my version of Perl. Oh well... parked for now...
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 19 Jan 19 at 09:17
 Messages Author Date
 Using REST APIs new smokie 10 Jan 19 08:57
 Using REST APIs new Kevin 10 Jan 19 20:32
 Using REST APIs new smokie 11 Jan 19 09:16
 Using REST APIs new Kevin 11 Jan 19 23:27
 Using REST APIs new smokie 12 Jan 19 00:32
 Using REST APIs new smokie 12 Jan 19 09:03
 Using REST APIs new Kevin 12 Jan 19 22:34
 Using REST APIs new smokie 13 Jan 19 18:57
 Using REST APIs new Kevin 13 Jan 19 20:51
 Using REST APIs new Kevin 18 Jan 19 23:21