Computer Related > Using REST APIs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 13

Using REST APIs - smokie
Many moons ago I made my living as a programmer (- then went through high level technical to project management).

I've found out that some stats I'm looking for are available using a REST API and I'm wondering if there's something I could learn reasonably easily to get the stats, more or less just for the fun of it. I've always wanted to return to doing a bit of programming, for fun, and have three unused Raspberry Pi's (and a mass of related sensors, cameras etc) under my desk to prove it :-)

Anyway, all I want is my half hourly usage stats from my electricity supplier, and I'd like it in CSV format to bung into Excel. Here's a link to the API and function I want developer.octopus.energy/docs/api/#example-usage , and the rest of the page talks about other usage.

The problem is, I don't know where to start. I've read about REST APIs and understood a fair bit of it, and it seems it's somewhat language-agnostic, so I'm hoping someone here can recommend a simple way to implement it, and ideally point me towards some free online training materials.

This is likely to be a long-term project which may never reach the top of the to-do list if it's too complicated, so no rush :-)

Thanks
 Messages Author Date
 Using REST APIs new smokie 10 Jan 19 08:57
 Using REST APIs new Kevin 10 Jan 19 20:32
 Using REST APIs new smokie 11 Jan 19 09:16
 Using REST APIs new Kevin 11 Jan 19 23:27
 Using REST APIs new smokie 12 Jan 19 00:32
 Using REST APIs new smokie 12 Jan 19 09:03
 Using REST APIs new Kevin 12 Jan 19 22:34
 Using REST APIs new smokie 13 Jan 19 18:57
 Using REST APIs new Kevin 13 Jan 19 20:51
 Using REST APIs new Kevin 18 Jan 19 23:21