Motoring Discussion > Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 31

Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental purchase. - Fenlander
Decided as my ownership of the old 5-series would be 5yrs by next month it was finally time to change. Been such a rewarding car to own but just felt for no particular reason this was the time it should go... and timing is right now as had I kept it until August a service and MOT due plus most important a set of 4 tyres if I took it into the autumn. The tyres were the final thing that tipped the decision over as I'd prefer for those to go on my next car so I get their full life.

Been looking intensively for 2mths... every single day on Autotrader and the other usual places. Had searches saved for two cars... a 2006-on 5-series estate of the newer shape than mine and a C-class estate of the 2007-on shape. Looking at cars up to 2010.

But in 2mths not one single car came up to meet the spec I wanted and despite checking out a few possibles I came to realise by and large mileages mostly exceeded that for my old one and most were in the hands of what I'd judge as iffy traders. Almost no private sale cars these days.

To give an example of the problem take the C-class. Today there are 555 on Autotrader in the price band I wanted. But only 95 estates. Then apply max 125k mls, 2007-on model and diesel reduces to 22 cars... and the absolute killer factor is manual gearbox reduces to 3 cars. Of those only one in a colour/trim I'd want and that's in Glasgow.

BMWs similar with the added potential hassle in that the majority which met all my wishes had the N47 2l diesel engine which is lucky to get its timing chain to 100k and a simple change to avert disaster is out of the question as it's on the rear of the engine so an engine out job to swap and about £1200 for a proper job.

A factor is that it's 3yrs until Mrs F joins me in retirement and at that time our car needs may be different.... so this is not the time to buy something much newer to keep for a long time.

Then a few days ago I was road testing Mrs F's CLK after new ARB bushes and something drew me to the local garage where we bought the CLK where they often have a selection of vehicles. And there she was... the Mondeo of my dreams... well at the very least an acceptable way to cover car needs for the next three years.

2008 Mk.4 2.0 TDCI Ghia estate in one of my favourite colours... dark met green. Being a Ghia has that woody/leather style I like. Only 96k supported by a full Ford dealership history right up to 89k... done about every 8k. MOT two weeks short of a full year.

As is usual with this garage get given the keys and take it for a ten mile test on my own up the motorway speed main road and back through the twistys. Surprisingly impressed. Much more eager and nimble than the BMW with an equal ride but just a little less refinement... seemingly mostly tyre noise after 60mph. For me the seats and driving position better than the BMW.

Priced at 60% of that I'd been considering for a C-class of similar age/spec. So a bank transfer later and it was at home.

Due a service, timing belt/water pump, deep valet, one Mr Dent ding repair, smarten up with new carpet mats inc loadspace, refurb the alloys and fit new tyres but the deal was at a price to allow for those things.

It's sitting on axle stands at the moment with the alloys out in the garden sun part way through paint prep.

Overall totally pleased so far... but in three years when the retirement cash is counted will probably return to BMW/Mercedes diesel estate... or if the wind blows the other way a BMW i3.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 29 Mar 19 at 10:18
 Messages Author Date
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidenta.. new Fenlander 29 Mar 19 10:15
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental .. new Runfer D'Hills 29 Mar 19 10:40
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental.. new Fenlander 29 Mar 19 11:18
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental .. new RichardW 29 Mar 19 11:52
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental .. new Paul Robinson 29 Mar 19 12:03
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental.. new Runfer D'Hills 29 Mar 19 13:13
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidenta.. new Fenlander 29 Mar 19 13:57
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accident.. new Runfer D'Hills 29 Mar 19 14:26
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accident.. new Runfer D'Hills 29 Mar 19 15:36
 Ford Mondeo IV - Mondeo - An accidental .. new Duncan 29 Mar 19 15:14