Motoring Discussion > Ford Mondeo IV - An accident... so soon! Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 16

Ford Mondeo IV - An accident... so soon! - Fenlander
So not had the Mondeo quite three weeks. All filters service complete, new front discs/pads, alloys refurbed plus 4 new tyres, new Ford carpet mat set and loadspace mat, timing belt kit in the garage ready to fit.

Pleased it runs so nicely and seems to be the decent car I thought it was. Then last Friday early am daughter from three houses away reverses hard into my passenger front door as she leaves for work. Leaves a note as it's early and also witnessed by our next door neighbour. Girl and her mum admit it and say can I get a quote to save it going through her insurance... I was wary but to establish a baseline cost took it to the nearest insurance approved bodyshop we've used before.

Door is mangled but luckily absolutely no damage to adj panels. Quote arrives by email for £1853 inc vat. New Ford door plus handle etc is over £1100 alone. That concentrates their minds so they offer insurance details.

I phoned my company, Churchill, to inform but not claim. They are keen to deal with it all, supply hire car etc, and state there will be no excess to pay and no impact on my no claims. I am of course realistic next years premium could lift a little but not worried about that.

Soon after I have a phone call apparently from the girls company, Admiral, the caller was keen to offer to have everything dealt with inc a hire car delivered in a couple of hours and a £200 general expenses "bonus" paid on top of repairs to cover any out of pocket expenses. I told them no to everything saying Churchill were on the case. By the end of the call I wondered if it was a crafty third party claims company because of their expansive offers.

Then I get emailed letters and phone calls from Churchill that include the phrases the excess may become repayable and the car may not be an economic repair. Next their nominated bodyshop phone and want photos to make an initial assessment on the the economics of repair vs scrapping. Once they'd seen these they then requested they collect it to make that economic assement in more detail.... and they mention I will have to pay my excess.

Have further call with Churchill that I'm worried there seems the possibility they will write off and pay out. I discuss I've only had it a couple of weeks buying at a garage price and since then spent £750+ on getting it spot on. They comment it is unlikely I will be settled for as much as I paid and they cannot pay any extra for the specific work I've carried out. So I could look at losing £1000 or more.

Bit fed up and reluctant to let them collect the car knowing what's likely to be offered... then my mind turns to the Admiral call so I phone them and sure enough I'm on their system. After I set out my case that I just want to put my car back in the condition prior to their insured damaging it he asks to be emailed half a dozen images of the car, the damage and quote I have from the bodyshop.

Guy mutes the call for 2 mins then offers a "cash in lieu of repair" bank transfer for the £1853 of the repair quote for me to sort it all myself in an manner I chose. I jumped at that, now have the offer letter attached to an email and the funds should arrive soon today.

Result in the end as I get to keep the car unencumbered by a damage category marker and I will source a good used door to save most of the parts cost and also build in a buffer which will cover an unrelated ding on the driver's side which I'd intended to do before long anyway.

Funny that my own insurance seemed so keen on a course that would have lost me money but the other company were pragmatic and quick in their decision.

Messages Author Date
 Ford Mondeo IV - An accident... so soon! new Fenlander 17 Apr 19 09:21
 Ford Mondeo IV - An accident... so soon! new hawkeye 17 Apr 19 09:36
 Ford Mondeo IV - An accident... so soon! new CGNorwich 17 Apr 19 09:47
 Ford Mondeo IV - An accident... so soon! new tyrednemotional 17 Apr 19 10:38
 Ford Mondeo IV - An accident... so soon.. new Runfer D'Hills 17 Apr 19 11:17
 Ford Mondeo IV - An accident... so soo.. new Fenlander 17 Apr 19 13:59
 Ford Mondeo IV - An accident... so soon! new Paul Robinson 17 Apr 19 13:19
 Ford Mondeo IV - An accident... so soon.. new CGNorwich 17 Apr 19 13:42
 Ford Mondeo IV - An accident... so soo.. new Paul Robinson 17 Apr 19 15:25
 Ford Mondeo IV - An accident... so soon! new Bill Payer 17 Apr 19 14:36
 Ford Mondeo IV - An accident... so soon.. new Fenlander 18 Apr 19 08:33