Computer Related > WiFI (Google Home) light switching Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 4

WiFI (Google Home) light switching - sherlock47
If you use the Energenie products they do not require a neutral. They are well made and electrically ok. The UK backup is good. However they are expensive. Used in conjunction with a 'homehub' you can have locally stored timers that will work if the internet is down and can use a a small rf handheld controller to give you local remote control if you do not wish to leave the chair and your mobile is out of reach. They say they do not work with non-dimmable leds but I have not found this to be true.

The cheap SONOF products from China are well made and you can get 3 gang light switches but require a neutral. They have proved reliable and the website seems to be up almost 100% of the time allowing full Android remote control and programmed control by the EWelink app.

I have both the above.

I have seen some of the cheap Chinese stuff and it is rubbish electrically, and a friends experience was totally unstaisfacory with every widfi drop out losing the connections and requiring repairing of the devices.

I have overcome the neutral problem by using the old switched Lwire to the very infrequently used central ceiling light to derive the neutral through the light fitting bulbs. Turning the central light fitting on manually disables the remotely controlled switches. I had the advantage that all my light controls came into a a twin double box so that no plasterwork was required.

Some cowboys use the E in the switchbox to function as a neutral as the current demand is extremely low (and will probably not trip a RCD) but this could give major problems in case of future wiring faults or mistakes!- or repurpose the earth wire if all fittings are plastic or double insulated. NEITHER TO BE RECOMMENDED.
 Messages Author Date
 WiFI (Google Home) light switching new smokie 8 May 19 12:32
 WiFI (Google Home) light switching new sherlock47 8 May 19 19:06
 WiFI (Google Home) light switching new smokie 8 May 19 20:07
 WiFI (Google Home) light switching new sherlock47 9 May 19 06:36
 WiFI (Google Home) light switching new smokie 9 May 19 08:31
Latest Forum Posts