Motoring Discussion > Buying car privately with finance outstanding Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 12

Buying car privately with finance outstanding - Bobby
Son has agreed to buy a car from a work colleague - a 3 year old Polo.
Has sold his own car, we have the money ready to buy the car tomorrow but the colleague has now mentioned that there is outstanding finance on it.
He knows she has bought a brand new car and everything has been done between colleagues like you would amicably and there is absolutely no indication that she is not cosha.

She is saying that once we pay her, she will then clear the finance. This makes sense as she cannot settle the finance until she has the money!

However I assume she could just pocket that money and then ultimately VWFS could repossess the car (its on a PCP ending December)

How best can I deal with this? I have run one of these paid-for car checks and it has confirmed that there is a pcp with VWFS exactly as she says, with an agreement number. I am thinking that what we should do is basically, in some way or another, pay the outstanding balance to the finance company and the rest of the money is paid to her. But I assume the finance company will not give me any information whatsoever so do I take her word on what is outstanding?

Any suggestions?
 Messages Author Date
 Buying car privately with finance outst.. new Bobby 12 Jun 19 22:14
 Buying car privately with finance outstan.. new zippy 12 Jun 19 22:22
 Buying car privately with finance outsta.. new Bobby 12 Jun 19 22:44
 Buying car privately with finance outstan.. new Zero 12 Jun 19 23:05
 Buying car privately with finance outsta.. new No FM2R 12 Jun 19 23:57
 Buying car privately with finance outst.. new legacylad 13 Jun 19 08:08
 Buy/Sell car - friends/colleague/famil.. new sherlock47 13 Jun 19 08:45
 Buying car privately with finance outstan.. new CGNorwich 13 Jun 19 09:15
 Buying car privately with finance outsta.. new legacylad 13 Jun 19 09:56
 Buying car privately with finance outstan.. new Manatee 13 Jun 19 11:07
 Buying car privately with finance outstan.. new PeterS 13 Jun 19 12:47
 Buying car privately with finance outsta.. new The Melting Snowman 13 Jun 19 16:39
 Buying car privately with finance outst.. new Manatee 13 Jun 19 18:24
Latest Forum Posts