Non-motoring > Tipping Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 14

Tipping - smokie
I'm having a Chinese meal delivered tonight, probably about £50 worth. Do folks normally tip food delivery drivers, if so how much?

And while we're on the topic... who else do you tip and roughly what amount/percentage, and are there any who you don't tip but think you should? All on the assumption that there was nothing wrong with the service but neither was it outstanding.

I usually tip my hairdresser about £2 which is about 20%.

The dustman and postie don't usually get anything at Christmas but I feel I ought to.

In a restaurant (as opposed to a fast food place) I'll generally tip somewhere around 12 - 15%, though I know there are some who don't.

But I'm not sure quite where the line is drawn there though, I don't do Nandos, and the like but would one tip there? I did at Harry Ramsden's.

I don't tip in Costa or at a bar (in the UK, though it is virtually mandatory in the US). Odd change often goes in the charity box though, or the staff box if there is one. But often in a more traditional tea shop I'll leave a quid or two in the saucer.

Hotels, what about the bloke who takes your cases to your room, or the person who brings you room service, or your favourite barman or waiter???? The bloke who dishes out the towels or sets up your lounger? Or cleans your room? How much? Are you different at home and abroad, do your tips take account of local wages etc?

Other home delivery drivers we.g. Tesco, where they've lugged your shipping right into the kitchen for you (and maybe up the stairs to your flat). Or "white glove" (??) delivery drivers who deliver a bed to the bedroom, and they've unpacked and removed packaging etc, maybe even built an item for you?

Messages Author Date
 Tipping new smokie 15 Jun 19 15:12
 Tipping new No FM2R 15 Jun 19 15:27
 Tipping new legacylad 15 Jun 19 16:20
 Tipping new Duncan 15 Jun 19 16:23
 Tipping new legacylad 15 Jun 19 16:33
 Tipping new Duncan 15 Jun 19 16:46
 Tipping new tyrednemotional 15 Jun 19 16:55
 Tipping new legacylad 15 Jun 19 17:22
 Tipping new VxFan 15 Jun 19 20:15
 Tipping new tyrednemotional 15 Jun 19 20:18
 Tipping new sooty123 15 Jun 19 16:19