Non-motoring > Boeing 737 Max Company Cars
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 19

Boeing 737 Max - No FM2R
I can't find the original thread, though I thought there was one. Anyway...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/boeing_two_deadly_crashes

I'm no expert on this, but whoever is personally responsible in Boeing it does rather seem that the company itself needs a serious hammering since their decisions caused a lot of people to die, seemingly needlessly.

The FAA clearly needs a red-hot poker, also.
 Boeing 737 Max - sooty123
I remember reading that when it was first published, the first thing I thought was, what other aircraft have got problems lurking?
 Boeing 737 Max - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m00077cw/panorama-boeings-killer-planes

mattstoller.substack.com/p/the-coming-boeing-bailout
 Boeing 737 Max - Bromptonaut
>> I remember reading that when it was first published, the first thing I thought was,
>> what other aircraft have got problems lurking?

Airbus machines have caught pilots out when the computers have removed the protections that normally stop them from doing something that might endanger the aircraft (see Air France 447). That though is stuff pilots are supposed to have been trained about but in reality it's shown up a number, including AF447, as lacking basic stick and rudder skills.

Over reliance on the automatics is not just an Airbus thing; there's an AAIB report on a Boeing 757 at Newcastle showing similar issues.

I think the difference with MAX8 is that the software that caused the problem was not properly explained and documented as part of the conversion training.

Thinking some more maybe Kegworth, where differences training between 737 versions with 'clockwork' instruments and those with electronic displays might have been a factor was writing on the wall.........
I was more thinking of issues that aren't in the public domain or that of operators.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 1 Aug 19 at 20:37
Well it looks as though some versions of the A321 NEO have a power/nacelle pitch issue too:

www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/a321neo-operators-alerted-over-excessive-pitch-ano-459718/

In this case though it's only associated with aft centre of gravity (ie load position) and is controllable with normal stick inputs, no equivalent of the Boeing's application of counter trim.

Discussion running on PPRUNe:

www.pprune.org/rumours-news/623627-a321neo-pitch-warning.html
Shock, horror...
 Boeing 737 Max - R.P.
Rode a bike with no ABS today - locked up once, goes to show how you can become dependant on automatic stuff.
 Boeing 737 NG ( not the Max ) - henry k
>> I remember reading that when it was first published, the first thing I thought was,
>> what other aircraft have got problems lurking?
>>
Cracks found in 38 of 800 Boeing 737 NG jets inspected globally

www.cbc.ca/news/business/boeing-cracks-found-on-737-jets-1.5316394?cmp=rss
 Boeing 737 NG ( not the Max ) - Zero
Fatigue cracking in all airliners is not uncommon, which is why they have major inspections and why they are designed to prevent crack propagation.

We have the Comet to thank for that.
 Boeing 737 NG ( not the Max ) - sooty123
>> Fatigue cracking in all airliners is not uncommon, which is why they have major inspections
>

Only if you know where to look!
>> >> Fatigue cracking in all airliners is not uncommon, which is why they have major
>> inspections
>> >
>>
>> Only if you know where to look!

Computer stress modelling should provide the answer (which is why manufacturers get caught short because they rely on it)
> Computer stress modelling should provide the answer (which is why manufacturers get caught short because
>> they rely on it)
>>

'Should' being the key word!
 Boeing 737 NG ( not the Max ) - BiggerBadderDave
"Only if you know where to look!"

Corners.

And nobody puts Baby in the corner.
 Boeing 737 NG ( not the Max ) - Bromptonaut
>> Fatigue cracking in all airliners is not uncommon, which is why they have major inspections
>> and why they are designed to prevent crack propagation.

AIUI it wasn't regular inspections that turned up these problems. The first cracked 'pickle forks' were discovered when converting pax aircraft for freight.
They are not the first cracked "pickle forks" Nor the first cracked pylon hangers or.. or... or....

Stuff that shouldnt in theory, does. The point is lumping it as a Boeing only issue is simply wrong.
 Boeing 737 NG ( not the Max ) - Bromptonaut
>> They are not the first cracked "pickle forks" Nor the first cracked pylon hangers or..
>> or... or....

AIUI the current issue is 'pickle forks' in 737NG machines at around a third of their expected service life in hours or flight cycles. Not aware of issues with similar components in earlier 737 versions (Classic or Jurassic) or other machines.

I'm not aiming at Boeing over Airbus, Douglas or any of the other current or previous plane builders. IIRC there's a current issue with flaps on the A380.

Cracks found in 38 of 800 Boeing 737 NG jets inspected globally
>>
>> www.cbc.ca/news/business/boeing-cracks-found-on-737-jets-1.5316394?cmp=rss
>>
>>

That's a bit naughty in that particular area. Although getting spares might be the biggest issue.
 Boeing 737 Max - R.P.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53212274

Back in the air maybe.
They're moving again.

TUI example G-TUMF has today moved from Tenerife, via Malaga, to Birmingham. Crossed over my place near Northampton about 10 minutes ago. Cruised at 18,000 feet, apparently must keep first stage of flaps deployed so as to prevent MCAS from interfering in the flight.
Latest Forum Posts