Non-motoring > Artificial grass on decking Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 9

Artificial grass on decking - Slightlyfatdirector
Hi Bobby,

Regarding the slippy steps I would recommend some glass reinforced plastic screw-down strips. I fitted some to our decking and was a piece of cake to screw down, they are effective and you can also tread on them with bare feet.

Good value for money and work. If you look on eBay under 'antislip decking strips' you will see lots of colours and more importantly - lengths. They can be cut to size of course.

I have used the Cuprinol antislip paint mentioned above and Wood Finishes Direct tend to have the best price (might be on one of the cash-back websites too).

I had some very old uncared-for decking when we moved into our house a while ago. We used a pressure washer then a suitable cleaner, a few coats of cuprinol wood preserver then the antislip on the top. I think I have bought myself 3 or 4 years before I need to replace this now, and prior to this I thought it might last just a few months

Sadly cant tell you how good it is anti-slip-wise as I used it on an area of decking we wouldn't really use in the wet (done as a 'belt and braces' job just in case). The main part of the decking could not be saved and was replaced, and this is now about to get the wood preservative followed by anti-slip paint treatment I did to the rest now the decking is not brand-new.

The only comment is that the 'clear' antislip paint does come up a bit 'yellow', but does fade a little but after a year or so.

In terms of your original question, then I can't comment really but if the artificial grass is porous, then yes, I would think that the decking below might have a short life and it won't be visible when it is on it's last legs. If the wood gets soaked in lots of preservative first then it might keep it going for a few years, and if there is good ventilation maybe it will dry out on sunny days, but it might be a 'suck-it-and-see'.

Why not contact the artificial turf manufacturers for comment? They have probably seen all sorts of applications,
 Messages Author Date
 Artificial grass on decking new Bobby 24 Aug 19 21:01
 Artificial grass on decking new CGNorwich 24 Aug 19 21:23
 Artificial grass on decking new Bobby 24 Aug 19 21:28
 Artificial grass on decking new CGNorwich 24 Aug 19 21:33
 Artificial grass on decking new Rudedog 24 Aug 19 22:12
 Artificial grass on decking new Kevin 24 Aug 19 22:21
 Artificial grass on decking new Ambo 25 Aug 19 10:16
 Artificial grass on decking new tyrednemotional 25 Aug 19 10:53
 Artificial grass on decking new Slightlyfatdirector 27 Aug 19 13:56
 Artificial grass on decking new devonite 28 Aug 19 12:23
Latest Forum Posts