Non-motoring > 21st Century Home Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 7

21st Century Home - smokie
I'm quite into home automation but I don't want to spend anything on it if I can help it :-)

But I thought the home heating stuff fairly pointless, especially given the cost, although for sure a lot of people would look for it in a home. And so I don't blame you or scoff at you for it. I have mates who have laughed at my "laziness" for controlling lights from my phone but as someone (maybe NoFM2R) pointed out on here, how many people don't use remote controls on their telly? In terms of return on investment, your money may well be better spent on improving insulation and draught proofing etc. But thee things aren't always about the money are they...

"Proper" house temp management also involves (at least) measuring household efficiency and losses, and testing the temp outside and setting the rads accordingly. I expect you'll get to that eventually and I'd be interested how you get on with it all.

As an aside I am looking at a device which will talk to my smart meter and give me near-instant detail of my electricity and gas consumption, in the same way as the display device they give you with a smart meter, but I would be able to get it via a programme so can thereby do something useful with the data. Like leaving the car plugged in but only charging in the daytime when there is enough space capacity from the solar panels. There are (quite costly) devices to do that (e.g. Immersun) but this would be more in MY control. Add in other apps like IFTTT and the world is my lobster LOL. It's all just a bit of fun really, just cos I can... :-)
 Messages Author Date
 21st Century Home new legacylad 3 Sep 19 17:04
 21st Century Home new smokie 3 Sep 19 17:38
 21st Century Home new Manatee 3 Sep 19 18:45
 21st Century Home new bathtub tom 3 Sep 19 19:57
 21st Century Home new Manatee 3 Sep 19 20:36
 21st Century Home new zippy 3 Sep 19 21:13
 21st Century Home new Crankcase 4 Sep 19 06:37
 21st Century Home new bathtub tom 3 Sep 19 21:19
Latest Forum Posts