Computer Related > Printer recommendation Computing Issues
Thread Author: MD Replies: 39

Printer recommendation - MD
Good morning all,

My Canon Inkjet printer has expired after ten years and a replacement is required.

dpi 9600 x 2400

Front feed tray and print out at the front too.

Wireless.

Any recommendations please?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 30 Jan 20 at 10:31
 PRINTER - nice but dim
MD, one of my roles is to buy and issue printers and other equipment for building sites.

I only consider and buy Brother printers and for mainly A4 and very infrequent A3 printing (A4 only scan) then the Brother MFC-5330DW I can recommend.

MFC-6930DW if A3 print and scan is needed (two trays).
 PRINTER - MD
Hi NBD. That looks a bit of a beast both in size and performance. I shall never need A3, so something a bit smaller would be preferable. Thank you anyway.
 PRINTER - Dulwich Estate II
I endorse the recommendation of Brother printers.

Over the years, some of them running a small business, I have killed or had expire on me a whole selection of Epsons, Hewlett-Packard and Canon ones.

Latterly I discovered Brother - never let me down. I use one at home all the time. The other one in a holiday house must be 10 years old and sits there unloved and maybe gets used twice a year. It never dries out and just works.
 PRINTER - MD
Hi all. Have decided on a Brother DCP-J572DW. Will order tomorrow from Printerbase who served me well 10 years ago and to which I have no connection.

What has shocked me though is the cost of ink even compatible stuff. I only ever paid peanuts for the Canon IP4700 compats.
 PRINTER - VxFan
>> What has shocked me though is the cost of ink

I can remember the days when it was cheaper to go buy another Lexmark printer than buying ink for an existing one.
 PRINTER - No FM2R
>> >> What has shocked me though is the cost of ink
>>
>> I can remember the days when it was cheaper to go buy another Lexmark printer
>> than buying ink for an existing one.
>>

I can remember the days when one didn't buy ink, one bought another ribbon.
 PRINTER - VxFan
>> one bought another ribbon.

Still have to for one of my dot matrix printers at work.
 PRINTER - Zero
>> What has shocked me though is the cost of ink even compatible stuff.

Really? did you not research the cost of the ink before you bought the printer?

I haven't paid for ink for over a year*. I purchased a HP that had two promotions meaning ink was effectively free for 18 months.

I lie, I paid for ink this year, a nice Tattoo.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 10 Sep 19 at 08:31
 PRINTER - Duncan
>> a nice Tattoo.
>>

A contradiction in terms.
 PRINTER - martin aston
I was in LIDL last week and they had Canon printers at £29.99. it's similar to one I've had for a few years that's been good for my minimal use. They might be gone by now though.
 PRINTER - MD
That reminds me. The only advice my Father gave me was concerning Tattoo's. He said, Son, if you're ever going to have a tattoo, get in done in a place that really doesn't matter.
So I had it done in Surrey.
 PRINTER - Zero
>> That reminds me. The only advice my Father gave me was concerning Tattoo's.

I'm sure your father had a better line in jokes than you, let's face it they couldn't be much worse.
 PRINTER - Crankcase
Unsurprisingly, it made me laugh, hence gardener's thumb.
 PRINTER - Manatee
>> MD, one of my roles is to buy and issue printers and other equipment for
>> building sites.
>>
>> I only consider and buy Brother printers and for mainly A4 and very infrequent A3
>> printing (A4 only scan) then the Brother MFC-5330DW I can recommend.
>>
>> MFC-6930DW if A3 print and scan is needed (two trays).

I have a 6530DW since my 5620 died in the house fire. About £140, probably because it is obsolescent.

A3 scan and print, prints both sides automatically.

I didn't realise when I bought it that it was so big. Still need to get a bigger desk for it.

But - it uses compatible ink which save a fortune. It's the third Brother I've had. First one last well over 5 years before the second one was killed prematurely.
 PRINTER - bathtub tom
Am I the only one here who refills their ink cartridges with ink bought from ebay? I find a cartridge will take three or four refills before they expire.
 PRINTER - Robin O'Reliant
Tried that.

Filled my lap, the floor and eventually the inside of the printer. The only item that never saw a drop of ink was the paper I was trying to write on.

I'll accept any charges of incompetence on my part, however.
 PRINTER - Manatee
Not had much success. But I can buy 2x 3000 page black carts and a set of the other colours for £20-£30 (compatibles) so can do without the faff.
 PRINTER - MD
Brother printer absolutely ACE. Thanks for the pointer.
 PRINTER - No FM2R
Out of genuine interest, what are you lot printing?

I have a B&W laser printer, capable apparently of 1500 pages per cartridge and just this week replaced the cartridge (£15) for the first time and I've had the printer around 5 years I think, perhaps a bit more.

Frankly I'm surprised I've printed that much.

There is a colour printer also, but I've never used it. Though perhaps one of the children has.
 PRINTER - sooty123
Good point, I'm not sure the last time I used our printer. Its kept in a cupboard. Maybe have to get the printer out a few times a year if that.
 PRINTER - martin aston
It could be that those of us who don't work in an office with a company copier need to print at home........ can't think why ;-)
 PRINTER - Crankcase
Coincidentally I had the "should I buy a printer" self-conversation again this morning, but as ever, decided not. Though it's very mildly inconvenient not to have one a few times a year, a swift walk up the local library (300 yards) and I can print out at 20p a sheet. So far this year it's been about two quid tops, so in about a hundred years it would have been cheaper to buy a printer.

The real reason not to is physical space though - it would be just one more blinking thing, especially when it ran out of ink. My desk is already covered with, let's see...two desk lamps, some dvds I've been ripping, two photo frames with pictures of Edwardian actresses in, two postcards of 19th century Bedfordshire lacemakers, a pencil, some cables, some headphones, a Garmin Etrex, a paperclip, a stack of blank CDs for some reason that escapes me, a knock-off N64 controller, a John Lewis advert, a headphone plug and socket thingy, a USB stick and a screw, as well the monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Obviously it's impossible to tidy any of this away, so you can see the problem.
 PRINTER - No FM2R
>> My desk is already covered with, let's see...two desk lamps, some dvds I've been ripping,
>> two photo frames with pictures of Edwardian actresses in, two postcards of 19th century
>> Bedfordshire lacemakers, a pencil, some cables, some headphones, a Garmin Etrex, a
>> paperclip, a stack of blank CDs for some reason that escapes me, a knock-off N64
>> controller, a John Lewis advert, a headphone plug and socket thingy, a USB stick and a
>> screw, as well the monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Impressive.

The only two things of note amongst the wide-ranging clutter on my desk is a jar of Coleman's mustard and tail feathers from a parrot that one of the cats dismantled in the garden and then brought me as a souvenir.

For some reason the desk surface seems to be full though. Probably supposed to be that way.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 13 Sep 19 at 20:32
 PRINTER - Zero
New game

Describe the Desk, guess the location

Desk has a TV remote control on it, a dirty mug, a clean mug, a kettle, 4 little cartons of UHT milk, several sachets of tea and coffee, a picture of cornflakes,

Along with my macbook, my phone, a dog lead and some (empty) poo bags.
 PRINTER - Crankcase
The shed? Or maybe that other place you spend much time with your canine pursuits. What's it called? Oh yes, the doghouse.
 PRINTER - Zero
>> The shed? Or maybe that other place you spend much time with your canine pursuits.
>> What's it called? Oh yes, the doghouse.
>>

Haha, what a wag
 PRINTER - Zero
I print an average of 100 sheets a month..

Judges scoresheets, round cards (Laminated) for my stewarding team, train signal diagrams, OS map sheets, train timetables,

Stuff.
 PRINTER - Bromptonaut
Now that Mrs B and I rattle around in a four bed house we have a study each.

There's a networked Canon inkjet Printer/Scanner, which could probably fax too if necessary, next to my desk on top of a low rise filing cabinet. Mrs B has a Brother laser printer, mono only, as she needs to print stuff in connection with her PhD studies.

One desk has my main computer on it, the other various bits of radio stuff including termination for the random wire aerial down the garden. TBH the radio bits are often neglected for months/years at time until something re arouses my interest in listening. Recent acquisition of an SDR box has meant I'm currently playing with it again.

My recent printing has been:

A google map of an industrial estate on other side of town where I've discovered there's a hobby radio shop.

A note for an initial meeting with a Financial Adviser

Airfield charts and data sheets for Luton and Hawarden aerodromes wanted for actual or planned visits*.

* Once they've been needed and printed once these go in a plastic wallet that lives in my car along with binoculars and my old Sony airband scanner.

We always print confirmations of hotel/flight/ferry/campsite bookings as well as boarding passes. Similar with theatre or concert tickets. Printer unlikely to be redundant in near future. I do have access to a full size office printer at work but (a) it's right on other side of floor and shared with other teams and (b) I work in charity sector so there's a moral issue with freeloading that worries me in a way it didn't with the taxpayer.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 14 Sep 19 at 10:04
 PRINTER - Kevin
My desk has an x3550 server on it, MP980 printer/scanner, Samsung mono laser printer, Netgear ethernet switch, a powerstrip, DVM, set of jewellers screwdrivers, ratchet screwdriver plus bits, Dell 7577 laptop, Thinkpad T450 laptop, a notepad and postit notes, a desk-tidy pen holder from Singapore Airlines and a stained leather drinks coaster with a picure of a dillo and "Don't Mess with Texas" etched on it.

Oh, and a dead fly and ginger biscuit crumbs.
 PRINTER - No FM2R
>> ginger biscuit crumbs

If you lived in South America you wouldn't be so wasteful of such a delicacy.
 PRINTER - smokie
Some of the stuff on my desk...

29" and 24" monitors
6 and 4 port power strips
A years-old birthday card from my daughter
A Transformer tablet (never used now)
A bottle of ear wax remover drops
a Leatherman pen knife, new and in box (poss for next eBay tranche, if I can be bothered)
A Poundland swing top desktop waste bin
a couple of AAA batteries
iPod charge cable
A new PIR sensor, while I ponder where to fit it
A Raspberry Pi acting as VPN server, ad blocker, Plex server and daily gathering of my gas and electricity data from the supplier
1 x 6Tb and 1 x 4Tb NAS boxes (both in use)
George Orwell.s 198, whic I last did for O level and found the other day. Someday I'll read it.
4 mobile phones
A box containing small computery and phone bits like SD cards, SIM cards, SD card USB adapters, straightened paper clips for removing the trays from phones
Roger's Profanisaurus (Viz)
A "how to dance Ceroc" DVD
2 mechanical plug in timers
A Google Home speaker
A Firestick and remote
Plus of course a Virgin router and an 8 port switch and a live 6Tb USB drive

That's not all of it either!! Yes, I live in a mess... but I usually know exactly where things are...

PRINTER - Kevin
>Yes, I live in a mess... but I usually know exactly where things are...

When I worked in Austin I had access to all the product development plans and source code for the line of business I was in. It was a disciplinary offence if I didn't lock my office when I wasn't there. There was also a "clean desk" policy which meant that every document rated confidential or above had to be locked away and Security would inspect each office every evening to check. The filing cabinets we were given could be opened with a plastic rule and were effectively useless so I kept all my paperwork piled high on my desk. I knew where everything was and never got a warning so I assume that Security took one look inside my office and decided "Can't be bothered with that mess!"
 PRINTER - Kevin
>If you lived in South America you wouldn't be so wasteful of such a delicacy.

Mrs K. vacuumed my den today so I can mail them to you.

Do you want the fly as well?
 PRINTER - No FM2R
What flavour is it?
 PRINTER - tyrednemotional
....fruit...
 PRINTER - R.P.
Let me know if you're coming to Hawarden airport Bromp. I know a very nice cafe from where to watch the aircraft. It's less than an hour from where I live.
 PRINTER - Dulwich Estate II
The last three printers and last two computers I have bought are from this place:

www.morgancomputers.co.uk/

I have no connection other than as a contented customer.

PS All 3 printers and both PCs all still running fine - one a Brother printer is around 12 years old now.
 PRINTER - Fullchat
My Canon Pixma MG6250, probably 10 to 12 years old, threw up an error message last night B200. 'Remove power and contact authorised service centre (or something like that). Printer became unresponsive.

Youtube gave several ideas as to how to sort the issue but the one that seems to have worked (fingers crossed) is basically removing the print head - real easy, and washing through thoroughly with warm water. Loads of ink and carp came out. Replace and bingo!
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 29 Jan 20 at 17:08
 PRINTERS - Shortage - Fullchat
Well there was me being all smug :)

Thrown up the code again and this time it wont move. So Brother ordered (MFC-J5330DW) and Canon has gone to printerland in the sky.

Except having placed an internet order they didn't have it in stock. Infact no one has them in stock.

World shortage of Brother printers it seems :(
Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 6 Oct 20 at 16:10
Latest Forum Posts