Motoring Discussion > What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Chris S Replies: 8

What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - Chris S
Does anybody know which cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? I know the Nissan Micra does.
 What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - nice but dim
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/chain-cam/

A link to the dark side but hopefully will be ok
 What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - Chris S
thanks
 What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - Shiny
It should be pointed out that is not a comprehensive list and is quite dangerous to peopple's wallet if they think it is.
For example BMW: All models since 1993
should read BMW: All models since 1993 except for some 1 series. and almost all before 1993.
Last edited by: Shiny on Sat 21 Sep 19 at 13:46
 What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - Mr Moo
The entry for the Freelander 2 is also wrong! It’s definitely a cambelt and not a chain. Engine also used in the likes of the Jaguar XF and (I believe) various Ford, Citroen and Peugeot vehicles.

Caveat emptor and all that!
 What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - Zero
Why the question, it doesn't matter. Well it does, a cam belt is better. Its designed to be changed, and if diligently done so at the recommended intervals, its not a problem.

A chain cam is usually not easily changeable as its designed for life, most of which fail to reach.
 What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - CGNorwich
A lot quieter too.
 What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - Netsur
Reminds me of the Saab I once owned. Needed the chain and top and bottom mounts replacing. Done under the Saab aftercare warranty. Even 20 years ago it was over £1,000.

The service manager had the gall to tell me that Saab engines were the best in the world.... I responded with one word...Honda.
 What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - Mike H
>> Reminds me of the Saab I once owned. Needed the chain and top and bottom
>> mounts replacing. Done under the Saab aftercare warranty. Even 20 years ago it was over
>> £1,000.
>>
>> The service manager had the gall to tell me that Saab engines were the best
>> in the world.... I responded with one word...Honda.
>>
My 9000i reached 202,000 on the original chain, but it did sound very noisy when cold! Got rid of it at that mileage, so no idea whether it went on. Our 9-5 Aero reached over 230,000 and 12 years old on the original chain when we sold it, and it was still very quiet. The 6000 mile oil change intervals helped. Perhaps you were unlucky, although you don't mention the mileage.
Latest Forum Posts