Non-motoring > General Knowledge Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 15

General Knowledge - Robin O'Reliant
Watching The Chase this evening (Mrs O'Reliant likes it) and they had a thirty something answering the questions. This one came up -

In the nineteenth century who would have been called a Bow Street Runner?

A/ A postman
B/ A photographer
C/ A policeman

He picked the postman. I've noticed on these quiz shows before, the general knowledge of the under forties these days is appalling.
 General Knowledge - Manatee
I know 60 year-olds whose level of general knowledge is very poor - but on the whole, living longer does add to it.

Of course they're all easy when you know the answers.
 General Knowledge - sooty123
Not done this one in a while :)

For lots an interest in general knowledge about history doesn't come until later on in life. Lots just don't find 'yesteryear' interesting until they are older.
 General Knowledge - Zero
>> Not done this one in a while :)
>>
>> For lots an interest in general knowledge about history doesn't come until later on in
>> life. Lots just don't find 'yesteryear' interesting until they are older.

Which is why we keep repeating the same mistakes as our forebears.
 General Knowledge - legacylad
Braggart
Even Goldilocks only had three

LL has got his coat
 General Knowledge - CGNorwich
You all no nuffin
They were a sixties rock group

m.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Ioid0LUXE
 General Knowledge - Kevin
>For lots an interest in general knowledge about history doesn't come until later on in life.

When it came to choosing subjects for my A-Levels, History was one of the subjects I dropped. I just couldn't see any future in it.
 General Knowledge - zippy
>>.., the general knowledge of
>> the under forties these days is appalling.
>>

Which is why you can have so much fun with them.

My eldest (25 now and 17 at the time) was liked the song Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash.

I mentioned in passing and with my best poker face that it was written the morning after a very very hot curry.

All was well until she repeated it to her class in sixth form!

General Knowledge - Fullchat
My twin girls (23) had an audition for Pointless in Manchester. They did quite well.
Were told that if they were successful they would her something by the end of August. Alas no contact :(
 General Knowledge - PeterS
I’m sure that previous generation said the same about today’s over 40s, as those under 30 mock those same over 40s understanding of, for example, social media today ;)

So, I wonder when and why some things pass from being general knowledge to being obscure history...?
 General Knowledge - VxFan
There used to be some really stupid answers on Family Fortunes.

Things like

Host:- "100 people were asked to name something blue?"

Contestant:- "your jumper"

Host:- "Name a bird with a long neck?"

Contestant:- "Naomi Campbell"

Back to the Chase, one of the funniest moments has to be:-

youtu.be/jl1Zfz-Widc

Apparently the producers put questions like this in to put Bradley off his stride, and to also add some humour into the programme.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 11 Sep 19 at 02:14
 General Knowledge - martin aston
I have pretty good general knowledge but I am surprised that a lot of people equate this with general intelligence. There is a relationship but regurgitating facts is a narrow sector of intelligence.

I am bemused too that old folks' knowledge (say, wives of Henry the Eighth) is often rated as more worthy than modern trivia (Winners of Love Island for example). As pieces of info and memory retention what's the difference?

As for the youth of today our kids (now around thirty) were regularly exposed to quizzes during their youth and have a very broad knowledge across a range of trivia from the current to the classic. One of them is a freelancer and actually had a lucrative few months setting questions for one of the prize online quizzes. So if you want a thirty year old not only who knows what SPAM stands for but has a working knowledge of pop culture and the periodic table she's your woman.
 General Knowledge - legacylad
Chopped pork and ham, but with regard to the non edible Spam then I haven’t a clue.

A good point about trivia knowledge, as different generations know different stuff and it has no reflection on one’s intelligence. In my local, early doors drinkers Waldorf and Statlor, of Muppet Show fame, watch The Chase every night midweek. If a younger person on the show doesn’t know some trivia that they, or I, of an older generation know, they think them a bit thick. OTOH neither they nor I have a clue about past winners of these ‘Celebrity’ shows, Luv Ireland, rap music or different kinds of social media so hardly fair to make disparaging comments

I used to be in my local pub quiz team until the quiz league folded. Alternate Monday nights away at different pubs, free supper, different beers, home by 11pm and enjoyable company. Our team captain wasn’t very keen on us drinking either pre or during the quiz as it clouded our judgement. We never took any notice.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 11 Sep 19 at 10:55
 General Knowledge - sherlock47
>>Our team captain wasn’t very keen on us drinking either pre or during the quiz as it clouded our judgement. We never took any notice.<<

Reminds me, (from when I was a regular quizzer), that on several occasions we were leading by a reasonable margin at the half way point, but by the end we were 'also rans'. I did suggest a revised scoring algorithm, it included adding the number of empty bottles on the table to the points score. Whilst never adopted, at least we then felt that we were worthy contestants!
 General Knowledge - No FM2R
Sat Nav has mostly devalued the ability to read a map and mostly removed the necessity to be able to do so.

Google on a phone has done much the same to remembered knowledge. One can "know" anything within seconds.
 General Knowledge - devonite
One only has to read some of the "posts" on Face-ache to see the level that the modern kids have of writing a sentence in English! - Their English teachers must be so proud!

P.S
Any spelling or punctuation errors in the above post are for illustration purposes only :-)
Latest Forum Posts