Motoring Discussion > Insurance pleasant renewal Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 8

Insurance pleasant renewal - Bobby
Received our car renewals.

Wife's Beetle - increased from £159 to £172
My X1 - decreased from £346 (when I had Civic) to £310 now.

Don't know if I can even be bothered going through quote comparisons - think those rates are not too bad in current climate and quite happy with my insurer - Quote me happy.

Went through the whole taking private plate off Civic, changing car to X1, then putting plate on X1 etc and did it all through the app without any admin costs for the plate changes.
 Insurance pleasant renewal - Bobby
Interesting follow up to this.

As mentioned, the renewal for my X1 was £310 compared to £346.

I have just updated my personal details , due to my job situation, to show that I am no longer a director in a charity but instead (as things stand right now) I am a factory worker doing some agency work whilst applying for other jobs.

I had to pay an additional £0.75 between now and my renewal in a week's time. Fair enough.

However by doing this, it seems to have prompted another renewal email to come through and it its now showing a renewal premium of £284.59!
 Insurance pleasant renewal - Kevin
I received a "Good news. We've renewed your insurance but you need to make a payment" email this weekend. (My card details have changed thanks to BA's data breach).

My new premium is £314, up from about £280 last year. Changing my account details on their website to now retired, no business use or commuting and less than 5000 miles per annum got me a discount of £12.80.

A simple check on a comparison site got me a price of £226 for exactly the same policy and cover with the same insurer (Hastings). They'll be getting a call tomorrow or maybe I'll just accept the comparison quote and ignore their renewals dept.
 Insurance pleasant renewal - smokie
"just accept the comparison quote"

which would be far far easier than trying to negotiate with someone in the call centre who usually doesn't have much say-so.
 Insurance pleasant renewal - Duncan

>> which would be far far easier than trying to negotiate with someone in the call
>> centre who usually doesn't have much say-so.

Just renewed mine. £480 for an MB W211 Estate 2.1 litre. All options ticked - breakdown, legal expenses, etc. 3 drivers.

Person in the call centre after a longish debate said they can negotiate 5% and that's it. If that's not acceptable, so be it, go elsewhere.

I am a bit nervous of changing insurers, as I am some way beyond a 'certain age'. Would they accept me? Could I come back?
 Insurance pleasant renewal - tyrednemotional
>> Changing my account details on their website to now retired..........

...is that an announcement? If so, welcome to the world of "leisure".

;-)
 Insurance pleasant renewal - Zero
Its the fastest growing segment of the community. Truly the best job I have ever had.
 Insurance pleasant renewal - Kevin
>...is that an announcement? If so, welcome to the world of "leisure".

Well, last year, three months before I could collect my full company pension(s) I was offered a seperation package.

It was an extremely difficult decision for me. I could either continue for another three months regularly getting up at 4am on Monday mornings to catch the first flight out of Heathrow to anywhere in EMEA and get back home at 10pm on Friday evening, or I could pocket the equivalent of over two years salary and put my feet up.

I struggled with the decision for many nanoseconds.
 Insurance pleasant renewal - Falkirk Bairn
>I could pocket the equivalent of over two years salary and put my feet up.

I have 2 sons working in the same industry - they are in their 40s and still many years to work hopefully.

Son #1 - Danish company exiting the industry to concentrate on their #1 business - 200+ redundancies as new French company takes over. 6 weeks pay per year (danish rules apply)- there were people with some 30+ years and aged around the 55 -60 ish mark - 3+ years redundancy money for them - many who worked beside my son walked into equally well paid jobs within a few months, a few finished on the Friday & started on the Monday.

Son#2 - Today, 1st October 800 employees transfer from US owner to a much smaller UK owner. This has been on the cards for 2 years or so but only confirmed 6 mths ago. Many senior employees, 55+ have been there 30+ years (some since graduation) & on the point of retiring or at least thinking about it. They were rubbing their hands at the prospect of an early Xmas. No redundancies, no early retiring with boosts in years to their final salary pensions............. same job, name above the door changes............... some reckon it is a 12 month reorganisation exercise with big job losses at the end of it.

Latest Forum Posts