Computer Related > Filters for Routers. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 16

Filters for Routers. - R.P.
We have fibre boradband and BT latest router. I automatically connected it with a filter when we moved in, seems to work ok.

Other morning whilst scrabbling about in the never accessed cupboard found that there was already a filter added at the well concealed master socket.

Couple of questions

1. Does having two filters on a line cause any problems with download speeds etc

2. Do I need a filter at all these days

TIA
 Filters for Routers. - VxFan
>> 2. Do I need a filter at all these days

I believe so, if the same line is also being used for phone calls, Sky box connection, etc.

tinyurl.com/y9kybpa3 - links to bt.com
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 2 Oct 19 at 12:40
 Filters for Routers. - bathtub tom
IIRC a filter used to be required at every 'phone socket.
 Filters for Routers. - Bromptonaut
>> IIRC a filter used to be required at every 'phone socket.

IIRC ADSL broadband, at least in original iteration, caused audible noise on the voice line. Filters removed this and were needed anywhere a phone was connected.

Whether they're still needed with fibre to cabinet (VDSL) or with other fibre connections I don't know.
 Filters for Routers. - neiltoo
I believe the filter is inside the master socket, installed with fibre broadband.
we've not used the dangley things since our upgrade.
 Filters for Routers. - No FM2R
In the days before the filters were wired in then a filter was required on every socket to shield every piece of voice equipment.

Since they now install the filter in the master socket then the incoming line passes through the filter before it goes to each socket and a second filter is not required.

A second filter will not have any effect, good or bad.

This is assuming that your house has a true master socket, not necessarily the case in older or amateur expanded setups. If the wire comes into the house and goes *only* to that socket and then to the rest of the house, then that is a real master socket. Sometimes the less knoweledgable split the wire earlier than the first socket.
I've still got one of the old GPO boxes in the hallway, where the wire from the telegraph pole initially goes to that, then any sockets connected up the other side of the GPO box.

community.bt.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/34743i0CBA79AC4BA6923A/image-size/original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Each phone socket in the house has a filter plugged into it.

The socket the router is plugged into is a bit of a bodged affair, as I'm not sure if the 4 metres of multicore cable that I used to connect it to the GPO box is actually proper phone cable, but it must be fine as I get approx. 71 Mbps download speed, and 19 Mbps upload speed via wifi and via an ethernet lead to the desktop PC.
 Filters for Routers. - Dulwich Estate II
We recently moved over to fibre direct to the house. I have since gone round and removed all the filters on the phone extensions. Irritatingly now that the phone line is completely separate from the fibre 'cable' we still have to pay to have a phone line as part of the package.

I had a good chat with the installer, saw the tiny, tiny fibre thread and learned that it has cups or ridges on its surface so that it can be blown down a hollow tube. He first ran the hollow tube to the right place in the house, then went down the street outside and blew the fibre along it using some sort of device.
>> saw the tiny, tiny fibre thread and
>> learned that it has cups or ridges on its surface so that it can be
>> blown down a hollow tube. He first ran the hollow tube to the right place
>> in the house, then went down the street outside and blew the fibre along it
>> using some sort of device.

It's called an air compressor, or blower. Blows the fibre along using air pressure.
>> Irritatingly now that the phone line is completely separate from the fibre 'cable' we still have to pay to have a phone line as part of the package.

My mate ditched BT because of that. He uses his mobile to make all his phone calls so doesn't need a phone line other than for broadband. He's been loyal to BT for many years, but he phoned around and Talk Talk did a broadband contract with no phone line for less than half the price he was paying BT. No problems with TT yet either.
>>He's been loyal to BT

Sadly that is a wasted emotion these days.

It was towards the end of the 70s when customers stopped being loyal and started leaving for 50p cut in price. And that was the point when service providers started cutting out parts of their service to be able to cut the price 50p more than the next person; butchers, milkmen, GPs, insurance brokers, bakers and many more.

As soon as their hold on the market was broken, then BT followed the same route. Length of time with a single supplier these days simply means that they judge you unlikely to leave and therefore not worthy of retention discounts.
>> Length of time with a single supplier these days simply means that they judge you unlikely to leave

That applys to all annual renewals. Insurance (home and motor), power, broadband - or am I teaching granny to suck eggs?
Indeed it does, for the same reason.
 Filters for Routers. - smokie
Insurance renewal costs were in the news last week. In case you missed it

www.ft.com/content/170b619e-e670-11e9-b112-9624ec9edc59
 Filters for Routers. - Duncan
>> Insurance renewal costs were in the news last week. In case you missed it
>>
>> www.ft.com/content/170b619e-e670-11e9-b112-9624ec9edc59
>>

Nope. That don't work.
>> Nope. That don't work.

Because it's a subscription based page.

A similar article here.

www.theguardian.com/business/2019/oct/04/six-million-insurance-customers-hit-by-loyalty-penalty

news.sky.com/story/higher-insurance-prices-for-loyal-customers-could-be-banned-11826883
>> Sadly that is a wasted emotion these days.

I meant as in he was overall very happy with the service BT provided, and was happy to pay for it. It just came to the crunch when BT wouldn't offer him a broadband package without also paying for a phone line he no longer required. Other providers now offer this service, but BT wouldn't budge.
Latest Forum Posts