Non-motoring > Sorry to use the f-word Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 19

Sorry to use the f-word - Bobby
Fireworks.

Pup is now 20 weeks old and this will be his first fireworks experience. Any tips on how to get him through his first that will then work for all the following ones?

Already he is showing some anxiety around noises. Have taken him walks along busy roads which he was fine with, even sat on platform as trains passed by. But in the house, pot or bin lids falling or even the worse just now, you know how you shake a bin liner fully open to put it in your bin? He runs away when you do that - happy to sniff about the bag when its stationary in your hand but freaks at the noise.

The Dyson, he has kind of learned to accept it though still will move away from it.

Have heard different theories of taking him a walk so that he can see the lights to match the bangs, playing loud music to drown it out, and not to mollycuddle him when he gets scared.

Any tips would be appreciated.
 Sorry to use the f-word - Zero
Do not make a fuss of the dog if it shows any reaction to fireworks, if you do you reinforce the reaction. Get a CD with firework noises to desensitise the dog before the event. Ill try and find the one all the dog trainers use
 Sorry to use the f-word - R.P.
When I first had the Working Cocker, I used to take him out for a walk at the first sound or sight of firework. He's 13 years old now and it has never bothered him. The Springer is scared witless by them (and by shotguns) I firmly believe that a combination of exposure and what Zero says. The Springer was well and truly spooked by our neighbours letting off fireworks when he was a youngster - he's not been the same since, he's frightened by noisy television explosions...otherwise he's not in the least "nervy"
cheers - or you tube links and I could play through the TV while he is in the house?
Playing him this one just now at loud volume - keeps looking at TV but otherwise not flinched

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmGlA7U6f-w
www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-advice/dog-behaviour-health/sound-therapy-for-pets
 Sorry to use the f-word - Duncan
>> www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-advice/dog-behaviour-health/sound-therapy-for-pets
>>

Could you do some of those recordings for me?....
 Sorry to use the f-word - MD
My two Hooligans (Labs) stand on an earth bank at the garden and just watch the fireworks. Mind you they are both 'wired up wrong' :-)
Meant to update this thread - over a course of a few weeks I played youtube firework videos with surround sound on and come fireworks night, we wasnt in slightest bit disturbed. In fact I was out the back playing football with him whilst they were going off all around.

Then on the Sunday, the local orange walk happened to pass me with their drums thumping and he went absolutely berserk! Thankfully he was on the lead at the time but he wasnt happy!

On a side note, he is now too big for his "cage" so, as he sleeps in a utility room, we decided to try him without a cage. First two nights were fine but subsequent nights have shown he is obviously standing against the door clawing at the plasterboard wall beside it! Hopefully this will pass in next week otherwise we will need to buy him a bigger cage. I remember our last lab went into a bigger cage so maybe 6 months old is too young for him to be cageless?
 Sorry to use the f-word - sooty123
We just ended up using some tablets that the OH bought tbh they worked spot on. Noticeably quieter and more relaxed. We'd get them again.
 Sorry to use the f-word - No FM2R
Why would you have the dog sleeping in a cage?

If he's misbehaving outside the cage, then surely you should be finding out why and resolving it? Locking him up might save damage to your wall but how is it making the dog happier?
>> Why would you have the dog sleeping in a cage?

Its a good way to house train a pup, it keeps the house safe from a P***y marauding pup, and becomes a place of refuge and safety helps them sleep and less noisy at night.

Its also a very quick way to toilet train a pup, they try not to pee in their bed, so in the morning you unlock the cage and let them out to pee.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 18 Nov 19 at 21:47
>> .*******

I am intrigued.

How did you upset the swear filter talking about dog cages?
>> >> .*******
>>
>>
>> I am intrigued.
>>
>> How did you upset the swear filter talking about dog cages?

Slang for dog wee
>>Why would you have the dog sleeping in a cage?

did it with last dog and it worked well with toilet training and discipline ie forcing a pup to take rest time as they will try and go all day and they do need to rest especially their legs.

We got this pup on a Sunday and he peed a couple of times on floor and that was it - by the Wednesday he was fully toilet trained. Has only had one "accident" since then, obviously an upset of some sort and he had obviously put his backside up against the cage side and tried to "pour" as much of it outside the cage as possible!

>> On a side note, he is now too big for his "cage" so, as he

Leave the cage in the room with the door open, gives dog a known refuge if anxious.

>> Leave the cage in the room with the door open, gives dog a known refuge
>> if anxious.

That seems sensible.
>>Leave the cage in the room with the door open, gives dog a known refuge if anxious.

theres a thought, even though he is too big for it? Should I put bed inside it or outside it ?
>> >>Leave the cage in the room with the door open, gives dog a known refuge
>> if anxious.
>>
>> theres a thought, even though he is too big for it? Should I put bed
>> inside it or outside it ?

Its probably not small enough he cant curl up in it, or be half in and half out leave bed in, he'll haul it out if need be.

its like most things in dog training, you dont do stuff as a sudden cut off or cut in, you phase it.
 Sorry to use the f-word - R.P.
My Working Cocker slept in a cage at night. Gate open. He was happy enough and chose to sleep there both at night and during the day when he wanted. When I had the CRV he travelled in the cage. He associated it with good things. It became convenient for him not to sleep in it anymore and the cage was put away. When the Springer got injured and had to wear the cone of shame, there was a risk that the Cocker might interfere with the injury so it was deemed that the Springer would go in the cage. It was dug out from the shed assembled and a nice comfy bed put in. As soon as the dogs had access to it the Cocker was in there like a shot and settled down for the night...he slept there for the duration of the Springer's recovery. Funny things dogs.
Latest Forum Posts