Non-motoring > odd solution! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 20

odd solution! - devonite
A friend of ours has a Northerly facing roof that for many years has always grown a good layer of moss an lichen, which he used to get power-washed off every spring.

He told me a tale yesterday that I found hard to believe, but I saw the results with my own eyes! and well I was amazed somewhat.

He said he was discussing the problem one night with an old sea-faring pal who told him about it, so he tried it.

He has run a length of (13 A ) stripped Copper electric wire the full length of his roof attached to the peak of his ridge tiles. His roof has now been Moss free for 2 years!

Maybe the rain leaches the copper ions out and as it runs down the tiles it does the magic!

Thinking about it, they used to sheet boat hulls with copper to prevent marine growth and even modern anti-fouling paint contains copper (or used to).

Might be snake-oil, but from what I've seen it seems to work!

Last edited by: R.P. on Fri 1 Nov 19 at 13:46
 odd solution! - Zero
Most moss killers are copper sulphate based
 odd solution! - R.P.
Thanks for the tip. May give it a go !
 odd solution! - Haywain
"Most moss killers are copper sulphate based"

Sure that isn't ferrous sulphate?
 odd solution! - R.P.
www.sigroofing.co.uk/copper-wire-solution-moss-free-roof/

Copper salts Haywain
 odd solution! - Haywain
"Copper salts Haywain"

I'd never thought of using copper wire on my lawn. Wouldn't it get tangled up in my mower?
 odd solution! - VxFan
>> I'd never thought of using copper wire on my lawn. Wouldn't it get tangled up
>> in my mower?

Not if you use a cordless mower ;)
 odd solution! - Zero
>> "Most moss killers are copper sulphate based"
>>
>> Sure that isn't ferrous sulphate?

Can be either or a mix of both. Copper is better, its quicker and you need less,
 odd solution! - CGNorwich
But why do you want to kill the moss?

My house is 25 years old and the garage is east facing and shaded by an oak tree. Th pitched roof is now covered in green moss and has a very pleasing look especially when the Virginia Creeper growing up the side turns brilliant red. Birds enjoy foraging there for insects too.

Sometimes doing nothing is the best solution. ;-)
 odd solution! - No FM2R
It can be very damp underneath, which may or may not matter to you.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 1 Nov 19 at 16:04
Damp not really an issue. Concrete tiles. Moss is definitely better looking though.

odd solution! - bathtub tom
>> It can be very damp underneath, which may or may not matter to you.

I've just had to have my rotted roof battens replaced. The North facing side was far the worst. Roofer said it was becoming quite common, particularly on mid '60s, Wimpey built houses like mine.
 odd solution! - Fullchat
Because it comes down the roof and clogs the gutters. If you have soakaways it will eventually bung them up too.
I just clean out the gutters. With two mature oaks on the boundary of my garden a bit of dislodged moss in the gutters is the least of my problems. All the gutters on both my house and garage need clearing twice a year. once after the leaves fall this month and once after the oak tree flowers in May.
 odd solution! - R.P.
I do ours - one advantage of living in a bungalow is not much ladder work. I've been mulling over this this afternoon...I may experiment with our only north facing roof which has some moss on it.
 odd solution! - Manatee
This has been much on my mind recently as we are having a house built. The old roof had some sort of cementitious 'clay' tiles on it that grew an unbelievable amount of moss and the gutters were always full of it.

It is actually bad for roofs.

Concrete tiles are the worst. As well as looking horrible they also take up twice as much water as clay or slate, so grow more moss generally. They also weigh twice as much as clay or slate to start with. The moss holds even more water and keeps the tiles from drying out which can cause frost damage, wicking and whatnot.

You can get copper tape to put along the ridge lines to prevent moss. Our new roof will have it if I don't forget. I'm going to use clay tiles anyway which shouldn't be anywhere near as bad.

I haven't actually bumped into a lamp post yet but I probably will. I spend most of my daily walk looking upwards at roofs and windows.
Well here's what the experts say - from the biggest roofing trade association:

"in most instances, moss on roof tiles is rarely a problem and only needs to be removed if it is blocking gutters, outlets and other drainage points on the roof. Most ‘techniques’ that we have come across to remove moss, are often achieved by ‘violent’ means such as power-washing, which may cause damage to the roof, especially when combined with unnecessary foot traffic often leading to cracked or broken roof tiles."

odd solution! - No FM2R
>>in most instances, moss on roof tiles is rarely a problem

So in some cases it is usually a problem? How do we tell which is which?

It certainly was a problem on mine.
That's the trouble with asking experts They seldom give you a decisive answer.
 odd solution! - Robin O'Reliant
Next door had there roof power washed a few weeks ago. They guy cleared my gutters while he was there (A very reasonable £30 for front and back, including porch and conservatory). I declined his offer to do the roof for the reasons stated above and I cringe when I see people jet washing their brickwork, which seems to be common practice round here.
 odd solution! - No FM2R
>>They seldom give you a decisive answer.

I don't so much have that problem. In fact I think they do usually give a fairly specific answer. What it seems impossible to get from them is any kind of generic answer or thought process which can subsequently be applied to 'similar' situations.

I have given up the unequal struggle and simple ask them again for each new circumstance.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 1 Nov 19 at 19:17
Latest Forum Posts